News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ganbare Goemon 2 (SNES)  (Read 101999 times)

SpRoUt

• View Profile
Re: Ganbare Goemon 2 (SNES)
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2016, 06:49:02 pm »
I need this complete lol any updates?

Fei Wong

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2016, 07:27:56 pm »
omfg, in my once a year search of any translations for Goemon i see this and shit came out of my pants!!!
hyped beyond belief now for this masterpiece getting the dedication it deserves!! im a Goemon fan since the snes days and i lost all hope of seeing 2 3 and 4 in english someday, now i have faith again, and seeing all those pretty screenshots with english graphics...oh man you guys are my heroes!!  :thumbsup: :crazy: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!:

BarbieOnWeed

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2016, 10:07:18 am »
If there is a game I wanted to get translated, this is it!
Thank you soooooo much for doing this. :)

I too played this game back in the days.
Still a great game!

Avicalendriya

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2016, 01:56:55 am »
Given what's happened with every other project that I've worked on, this seem like the right time to move on with life.

Relevancy: I have spent the last several years completing my translations of all three Romancing SaGa games (and a few others which have been under wraps), while also diving deep into the code in an attempt to learn ASM. Now that RS1 and RS2 have been released in English, it is clear that this has been thousands of wasted hours. Gideon, you can have my graphics for your Goemon 2 project, however my heart says to move forward with game development, and I advise you do the same. Think of it: Your game could be finished now -- so could mine. Not to mention that the satisfaction and accomplishment derived from playing and sharing your own game is a hundred times greater than what comes from translating a game made by another. I can personally attest to it!

caninis

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2016, 12:59:45 pm »
oof, people are going to be disappointed, the snes goemon games are pretty highly anticipated translations (perhaps the curse is true)

goemon 2 is a much smaller game than the saga games - this could be your swan song / claim to fame!

but if you must quit then I guess release your progress and maybe someone else will continue it
how far long do you think you were?

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2016, 02:32:51 pm »
Given what's happened with every other project that I've worked on, this seem like the right time to move on with life.

Relevancy: I have spent the last several years completing my translations of all three Romancing SaGa games (and a few others which have been under wraps), while also diving deep into the code in an attempt to learn ASM. Now that RS1 and RS2 have been released in English, it is clear that this has been thousands of wasted hours. Gideon, you can have my graphics for your Goemon 2 project, however my heart says to move forward with game development, and I advise you do the same. Think of it: Your game could be finished now -- so could mine. Not to mention that the satisfaction and accomplishment derived from playing and sharing your own game is a hundred times greater than what comes from translating a game made by another. I can personally attest to it!

Awwwww. You have no idea how much I was looking forward to Goemon 2. I was gonna play that thing to death and relive some of the good times I had playing Mystical Ninja when I was 4 years old.  :(

How complete are your translations of the Romancing SaGa games? To be honest, I'd much rather attempt to play through even an incomplete version of Romancing 2's original SNES version that you've worked on than play SE's shitastic remakes. After what they did to FF5 and 6's releases, anything you've accomplished with RS1, 2, and 3 would be MANY times better IMO.

I understand you wanting to move on if you have your own game you're programming from the ground up and that's the main reason for wanting to drop your hacking projects. But if the main reason's because Square Enix just happened to release two of the things you just happened to be hacking/translating, THAT would be a waste of your thousands of hours of hard work and dedication. Not trying to pick a fight or anything, that's just how I see it.

Any plans on releasing what you have done with any of the above mentioned games? From what I recall there's only 1 translation of Romancing Saga, a couple for Romancing Saga 3 (all incomplete if I remember right) and I don't think any of the unfinished Romancing Saga 2 translations ever got close to completion.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2016, 03:45:29 pm »
Any chance you could share info about the graphical compression (offsets, format, and if possible tools)?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2016, 08:17:10 pm »
I completely understand moving on for your own endeavors.  Good luck and thanks much for your work, I hope you have the best of fortune in the future!

How complete are your translations of the Romancing SaGa games? To be honest, I'd much rather attempt to play through even an incomplete version of Romancing 2's original SNES version that you've worked on than play SE's shitastic remakes. After what they did to FF5 and 6's releases, anything you've accomplished with RS1, 2, and 3 would be MANY times better IMO.
Hey, V was okay specifically on mobile.  It looked like hot trash from hell, but the controls were at least translated well to the platform and it used most of the screen unlike VI.  I get what you mean though, Square-Enix's ports are very hit-or-miss.  They've been improving little by little though honestly, and from the screenshots RS2 at least doesn't look like it's going to end up another VI graphically (looks kinda like DQ I-III's angle actually).

Either way, from my point of view an SNES version translation is still a good idea if only farther down the road.  Good or bad these mobile releases may one day be completely un-operational because of Square-Enix's reluctance to update when OS upgrades come along (the Chrono Trigger debacle for example nearly resulted in the mobile port being dead).  The originals getting fan translations aren't only good for comparison and for playing on real hardware in this case, they're good for when there's no other way.  Also, there's a possibility still that an RS1 mobile thing will be a Minstrel Song port (more likely than not it would be a cheaper job, it's already translated, they did DQ8 earlier on, etc).

EDIT: My, that sounded a bit like I was having a fit earlier.  Sorry about that!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 12:02:10 am by Chronosplit »

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2016, 05:38:05 am »
If that's the case, then you should release the translation source code, graphics, etc. about this game and any other game you were translating. It would be a nice idea, considering that you don't want to continue this anymore.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2016, 03:43:48 pm »
I was really looking forward to this.  :( (I guess I better keep learning japanese   :laugh: )

I really hope at some point you decide to release whatever you have, both progress and documented findings, so next time someone wants to work on this game they can continue from where you left off (it amazes me that of all the people who have done bits of these games, both on the hacking side and the translation side, no one has reached anyone to work as a team...)

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2016, 04:17:57 pm »
A shame you chose to quit, but yes, as others have said, if you don't plan to finish, then release everything that you've done publicly so that someone else (or perhaps a team) can finish this work. Goemon 2 is a wonderful Super Famicom game and really deserves a full fan translation.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2016, 07:01:12 pm »
Gideon, you can have my graphics for your Goemon 2 project, however my heart says to move forward with game development, and I advise you do the same.

Check your privmsgs :) I hear what you're saying and agree in principle, but I do love what I do. I've been trying to find a happy medium for several years and I think I'm close to that point.

sub_atomic

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2016, 11:44:07 pm »
It's a real shame to read that this project is dead. I know I'm not alone in my disappointment.  :(

Thank you for all the work you put into it, Avicalendriya. I only hope that there is someone willing to see what you started through to completion. It seems best to not let all your work have been in vain, and I like to think that the many fans who will be overjoyed and play the translation for years and years make it a worthwhile endeavor.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2016, 04:25:19 am »
This game is definitely cursed.

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2016, 02:54:32 pm »
Yeah, completely agree with Bahamut ZERO, Chronosplit and sub_atomic. Don't assume that just because RS1 was already fan-translated and RS2 was localized that your work has been a waste! The company's behavior with the release of RS2 as with their usual past practice will leave a bitter taste in many gamers, not to mention that their FF V and VI on the PC have entirely been botched! Though this RS2 mobile remake looks a bit different but problems could rear its ugly head. It's still mobile-only and as some have pointed out in some online reviews for FF V and VI that's still an anti-consumer practice. So I'm pretty disappointed to hear when you said that just coz RS2 English is out means that you and we should all forget about it! Not trying to demean you - I accept and understand that you've moved on. That's fine. But this one argument falls through, though, because Square-Enix is not to be trusted at this point and most of all the original is still the purest and most critical piece of history to preserve for cultural reasons. It's still got its own consistent design and it was of course improved over the beginner RS1 game by the development team that made them.

It's good that you'll pass on your GG2 work to Gideon. But I hope that you also can pass on your full translations for RS2, 3 and hopefully other unannounced projects to him or any others such as ddstranslation. Please contact magno, who's done the full Spanish translation for RS3 to insert your RS3 English translation. He's willing to do it, believe me!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 03:09:18 pm by ObiKKa »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2016, 08:25:21 pm »
Yes, Square doesn't have the most consistent port record (since everyone's going on about only two games mostly for dumb graphics I should also pitch in Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, FF1 and 2 never getting the rest of their content, FFT WOTL on Android, the portal app, and DQVIII to their list of misses), but I'm not completely sure about the idea being anti-consumer only because of mobile only.  Is it crummy that RS2's not appearing on Vita?  Yeah.  But it's equally crummy that DQVII's remake wasn't translated on mobile right away either and a 3DS localization has been confirmed with nothing else, since the DQ IV-VI were on the side of great quality (based Armor Project putting in a good word I assume).  While it's true that mobile is clearly the cheapest route initially, it's also true that mobile is the widest platform they're putting them out for.  Few people don't own a smartphone these days, so between iOS and Android nearly everyone has access to it no matter how high the Vita ownership is.

Then again this is coming from someone who hasn't owned a handheld console (or really any kind of console) for quite a while now, so this might just be my ignorance talking.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:09:57 pm by Chronosplit »

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2016, 02:03:47 am »
Spoiler:
Yes, Square doesn't have the most consistent port record (since everyone's going on about only two games mostly for dumb graphics I should also pitch in Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, FF1 and 2 never getting the rest of their content, FFT WOTL on Android, the portal app, and DQVIII to their list of misses), but I'm not completely sure about the idea being anti-consumer only because of mobile only.  Is it crummy that RS2's not appearing on Vita?  Yeah.  But it's equally crummy that DQVII's remake wasn't translated on mobile right away either and a 3DS localization has been confirmed with nothing else, since the DQ IV-VI were on the side of great quality (based Armor Project putting in a good word I assume).  While it's true that mobile is clearly the cheapest route initially, it's also true that mobile is the widest platform they're putting them out for.  Few people don't own a smartphone these days, so between iOS and Android nearly everyone has access to it no matter how high the Vita ownership is.

Then again this is coming from someone who hasn't owned a handheld console (or really any kind of console) for quite a while now, so this might just be my ignorance talking.
Yeah, what if the mobile device operating systems are updated such that some old games may not work anymore? That's what happened in the past and could seriously affect the future viability of these games on these platforms. Whereas with the consoles and the PC it's all relatively stable as long as you can get them running!

Fei Wong

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2016, 12:34:26 pm »
So it is true that this game..no! this series in SFC are cursed! ow man.. :banghead:

Avicalendriya

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2016, 01:10:04 pm »
For two decades I was under the influence of this Curse so I can vouch for its real and powerful existence. "The Curse" is enacted whenever an individual chooses to engage in any of the following:

a) Devoting time to projects when it does not exist, thus neglecting other duties, neglecting loved ones and failing to adequately rest the body and mind in order to manifest such time.

b) Working on a project which cannot be accomplished alone, or with a team which cannot meet all of the responsibilities.

c) Spending time on something which has no real appreciative audience, or perhaps has such a small audience as to make the years of effort both pointless and distancing, as those few individuals could have just as easily been gathered and educated or empowered in major ways, with far less time and effort, and to the benefit of all.

The above examples describe nearly all of the endeavors I've undertaken within the last two decades, in relation to both romhacking and otherwise. This is why I feel that The Curse is tangible and avoidable by those who are strong enough to drop that which overwhelms and impairs quality of life.

It is hard to give up, but when vanity and an unwillingness to surrender become major motivators of such an obstinate stance, then yes, there's going to be a Curse.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 02:44:21 pm by Avicalendriya »

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2016, 01:42:15 pm »
Just to put things into perspective, there have been similar long inactive translation projects for the last three SNES Ganbare Goemon games as well as an official one for the PS2, and they all never materialized. It has been almost getting comical how these games are attempted regularly just to be dropped inevitably.

PS: The curse doesn't extend to China, or so it seems.