News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ganbare Goemon 2 (SNES)  (Read 102003 times)

ddstranslation

• View Profile
Re: Ganbare Goemon 2 (SNES)
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 09:41:30 pm »
This looks like it'll be great! I can't wait to play this. Legend of the Mystical Ninja was one of my first SNES games, and I loved how wonderfully weird it was, and being a fun platformer as well. And since you seem to be a big fan, I know you'll do it justice. Good luck to you guys! :)

jobless_floppy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 03:02:35 pm »
Those are some very nice graphics, kudos  :) I know I'll really enjoy this translation when it's done.

Avicalendriya

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 10:43:48 am »
This looks amazing!

Thank you Maeson, and I'll take this opportunity to let you know that I've been following your FF project. You're doing some great stuff with it, so keep at it!

I hope you're wrong and the game is not really cursed, because the work being made here looks too good!

It is possible to complete a Cursed title, though it will surely Curse those who bring it into the light. Just look at Romancing SaGa 3, for example. As soon as Disnesquick and I started to make progress with it, my lady gave me the boot and I was soon living in a tent, while he got the Black Death from a friendly alley cat.

Well, you're missing out. It's a great game.

I'll definitely play it, it's just hard to find "free time" these days.

Anyway, you won't be losing anything by not mimicing the crappy localizations of those days, when many of these people didn't seem to take their jobs very seriously despite the fact that they were working on some of the most awesome games of all time.

No kidding! I fired up the original Japanese game just to check it out, wandered into a shop, and observed some signage behind the clerk. Then I went to see how these graphics were localized in the North American release, and guess how they handled it? They simply removed the Japanese text! I'll post screenshots when I get home.

So yeah, I guess Goemon was a fictional character who likely birthed many folk tales but was connected to real people and events from Japan's history about 4 or 500 years ago.

It's hard to say now that so much time has elapsed. An inconceivable amount of the past is simply lost to history, which is very tough for me to think about, actually.

Nice, so that means no one was boiled alive with his baby children

Possibly, but those accounts conflict with one another. Some state that he kept his son held high, and that the son survived and was pardoned, while others indicate that he realized this wouldn't work, and plunged his son to the bottom of the cauldron in order to end his suffering as quickly as possible.

This looks like it'll be great! I can't wait to play this. Legend of the Mystical Ninja was one of my first SNES games, and I loved how wonderfully weird it was, and being a fun platformer as well. And since you seem to be a big fan, I know you'll do it justice. Good luck to you guys! :)

Thank you for checking it out, DDS. Get this, you inadvertently helped move the project along at a faster pace, since I stopped work on my RS1 translation when you announced yours.

The passion and dedication that you have for the game is quite familiar, and I admire your sense of obligation too. Seeing you return to finish something you started long ago is very cool and I hope we see more of this!

I also wonder if sharing a Curse might weaken its individual effects.

Those are some very nice graphics, kudos  :) I know I'll really enjoy this translation when it's done.

Thank you! I've obsessed on them enough to share, but they will still see some improvement.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 11:04:21 am »
Thank you Maeson, and I'll take this opportunity to let you know that I've been following your FF project. You're doing some great stuff with it, so keep at it!

You're going to make me blush... I'm working on the 1.2 which will change a few things here and there, although I'm taking more time than i would like. I've being lending a (very tiny) hand in other things, and real life has been pretty annoying lately.

About Mystical Ninja (Goemon 1) I'm with SunGodPortal, it's a fantastic game from start to bottom, even when I facepalm at the "kid Ying and Dr Yang" thing... But the game itself is incredible,k even more for an "early" (some months after SNES was launched) release of the system, visuals and sound where really impressive for 1991.

The soundtrack will be forever in my head. And that's pretty bad because it's too catchy and it likes to come back in the worst moments possible.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

Stevacus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 05:37:12 pm »
I played this in Japanese language, can't wait!

Gary_Oak

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2015, 05:07:22 pm »
I just wanted to drop by to give Avicalendriya my sincerest gratitude to be working on this (and the remaining SNES Goemon games from what I've heard). It's one of my personal favorites and I've always wanted to play it in English for years. What you're doing is nothing short of amazing, specially considering the amount of perfectionism you're pouring into this.

By the way, if you ever get the chance, I recommend you to play Keio Flying Fortress 2 for the Saturn. While it's nowhere as big as Goemon in terms of recognition, it's a quirky little platformer that shares a lot of similarities that ought to give you a good time.

Once again, thank you very much for your hard work!  :thumbsup:

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2015, 10:49:46 pm »
This is nice. This is real nice.

Now if only somebody could the same for Kessakusen! Ganbare Goemon 1 & 2,
which are the GBA ports of Mystical Ninja for SNES and Ganbare Goemon 2 (which is this one).

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2015, 08:48:23 pm »
Avicalendriya,

I share the fondness you have for these games. For the longest time, I've been following each and every individual attempt to translate it with great hopes, and I can't express how happy I am to see this thread.

Turns out I'm a graphic designer and illustrator (acediez.deviantart.com is my old outdated gallery, I haven't updated it with commercial work yet). I don't have any past experience with pixel art past some very few experiments, but I'm interested on having as much experience as I can get with whichever passion project I can get involved with because I plan on adding those skills to my toolset soon (I plan on making videogames with a programmer brother, who is a Goemon fan himself too, and our first planned future project is very Goemon inspired)

So I share your motivation, and I want to help you with the graphic side of things. It'll be an honor to be part of this (and even Ganbare Goemon 3 and 4, if we get to that)

I'm sending you a private message right now with my email.

December 29, 2015, 10:12:01 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
the ability in Ganbare Goemon 2 to switch between all three characters with the Select button in the overworld instead of requiring a reset. But all three characters now share the same inventory and money amount.

It sorely misses that SMW button combination cheat to replay already cleared dungeons and bosses

I would love these features included, even if they ended up as optional parches.

What would be the chances of an alternate title "Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2" for North America consistency?

An optional patch for an optional title screen would be a nice touch too.

But I guess these are things to consider only after the main work gets done.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:12:01 pm by azulo »

Avicalendriya

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2015, 03:56:31 pm »
Thanks for the offer, but the plan is to do all the graphics work myself. Handing it off just wouldn't feel right, especially considering how much time I've already devoted to the task.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2015, 05:34:08 pm »
Well, in that case, keep it up! ;) I'm really looking forward to this.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2015, 07:51:43 pm »
This is nice. This is real nice.

Now if only somebody could the same for Kessakusen! Ganbare Goemon 1 & 2,
which are the GBA ports of Mystical Ninja for SNES and Ganbare Goemon 2 (which is this one).

The GBA ports, at least the GG1:Yuki-Hime's Disappearance part, have much more graphical assets which are uncompressed (though some still are) and the GBA pointer system allows for much more liberty, but it seems the text itself is compressed unlike the originals.
That said, they're a disgrace, it's a torture to play through them with the very tiny screen and the horrible, horrible sound (I say that as someone who really liked the Mario/Zelda GBA ports).

Only redeeming parts may very well be the character switch in Goemon 2, and a proper save system in Goemon 1. And maybe the bonuses unlocked in GG:DS when this GBA compilation is inserted in Slot-2?
As I said before, these would make for really nice patches for the SNES versions.

MachoAlex

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2016, 07:19:44 pm »
Can't wait for this. Your graphic editing looks great  :)

juze

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2016, 10:44:42 am »
I a word, beautiful. Need I say more?

SpRoUt

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2016, 12:36:47 am »
How close is this to becoming a reality?

taikyoku

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2016, 07:14:41 am »
I do hope real life hasn't destroyed you!

I really like what you've done with the title and game over screens. However, I recommend using "Ganbare"; localizations made today of heavily-Japanese games would typically stick with romanizing the main title of a series like that. I also think you should try writing the logo vertically, just to see how it looks. Lastly, thank you for not using that wretched "Magginesu", and "McGuinness" is CamelCase as far as I can tell.

I REALLY like what you did with the Xexex minigame. Please do not change that font, it's a perfect idea with a perfect execution. However, you should make it pink, change "Irene" to "Elaine", and add periods. I know イレーネ is meant to be the Japanese form of "Irene", but it can also be used for (and sounds closer to) Elaine, which was used. You can generally trust "world" versions of arcade games for transliterations and things like that because they're typically made by the developers themselves, broken English and all. I also recognize that Otomedius used "Irene", but that's revisionism at best, borne out of ignorant developers sticking with the common usage of イレーネ.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 07:21:47 am by taikyoku »

SpRoUt

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2016, 07:58:41 pm »
You're doing great keep it up bro. I have full faith in you.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2016, 05:01:07 pm »
I agree, it's best if you leave Ganbare. I mean, look at Yokai Watch, it was localized with the Japanese name intact :P

Magma Dragoon

• Every day is night
    • View Profile
    • My Hideout
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2016, 06:19:03 pm »
Alternatively, you can make two separate patches; one with the Ganbare Goemon title and other with the Legend of Mystical Ninja title.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2016, 01:31:50 am »
I mean, look at Yokai Watch, it was localized with the Japanese name intact :P
Mostly intact. I refuse to spell it "Yo-kai". :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

gc8tech

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2016, 01:34:38 am »
Can't wait to see a IPS file!! Great work!!!

D.