News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Strategy games for SNES  (Read 5911 times)

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Strategy games for SNES
« on: July 01, 2015, 02:20:47 am »
Does anyone know of some cool turn-based stategy games (RPG or not is fine) for the SNES that aren't painfully slow? By painfully slow I mean like Bahamut Lagoon where each character has one single turn per battle and in some cases won't get to do anything again for another 5 minutes or more (ZZzzzz...). I actually like that game but the pacing is so slow sometimes that I just can't take it. Because of that I don't play it too often.

Seems like I remember Der Langrisser being a little faster.

I also remember loving Nage Libre. In that game you got at least 5 turns per battle (and they were card based so that was pretty interesting and different). I guess everything about that game was pretty neat. I liked the whole school girl thing. That sure was different for a "war" game. The basketball girl has a basket ball for a weapon, the tennis girl fires tennis balls at you, etc. What a cool game.

I've played Front Mission before but I don't recall how I felt about it. Other than thinking "Whoa this is complicated".

I guess the four I've mentioned here are the only ones I can recall playing for this system. I've also played some real-time ones like Cannon Fodder and Syndicate that were pretty cool.

I'd prefer them to be in english unless they are as simple as Nage Libre where you don't really have to be able to read it (though I wish I knew the details of the story in that one).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 02:26:17 am by SunGodPortal »
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Strategy games for SNES
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 03:35:49 am »
On the real time ones you mention I have to say grab the amiga or dos versions as appropriate. Both are far nicer with a mouse.

The SNES version of Rampart is a pretty good one, a bit different in some places but still worth seeing.

As for the matter at hand I never really went in for this sort of thing on the SNES (between the shining force series on the megadrive/genesis and whatever I had on the Amiga that was what I went in for and to this day my knowledge of the SNES exclusives is not so hot).

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 09:54:45 am »
Does anyone know of some cool turn-based stategy games (RPG or not is fine) for the SNES that aren't painfully slow? By painfully slow I mean like Bahamut Lagoon where each character has one single turn per battle and in some cases won't get to do anything again for another 5 minutes or more (ZZzzzz...). I actually like that game but the pacing is so slow sometimes that I just can't take it. Because of that I don't play it too often.

I also remember loving Nage Libre. In that game you got at least 5 turns per battle (and they were card based so that was pretty interesting and different). I guess everything about that game was pretty neat. I liked the whole school girl thing. That sure was different for a "war" game. The basketball girl has a basket ball for a weapon, the tennis girl fires tennis balls at you, etc. What a cool game.

I've played Front Mission before but I don't recall how I felt about it. Other than thinking "Whoa this is complicated".

I guess the four I've mentioned here are the only ones I can recall playing for this system. I've also played some real-time ones like Cannon Fodder and Syndicate that were pretty cool.

I'd prefer them to be in english unless they are as simple as Nage Libre where you don't really have to be able to read it (though I wish I knew the details of the story in that one).

I was playing some really good translations of Dragon Quest 5 and 6 on my emulator on my phone recently. Sounded like you might be looking for something portable. The SNES had a LOT of good strategy type games. I will see what else I can remember that was good  :beer:
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/DevilHunterMiyumi/

stuffgnome

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 10:29:43 am »
Treasure Hunter G

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 11:51:00 am »

Have you ever played Battle Ogre: March of the Black Queen? That one is an all time classic of the genre.

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 04:18:10 pm »
There's also the sequel, Tactics Ogre.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Strategy games for SNES
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 06:45:38 pm »
On the real time ones you mention I have to say grab the amiga or dos versions as appropriate. Both are far nicer with a mouse.

I try not to play games on a comp when I can avoid it. I'll look into them though. I enjoy noting the differences in things like this.

The SNES version of Rampart is a pretty good one, a bit different in some places but still worth seeing.

I've heard that name before but don't think I've played it. I'll look into it.

I was playing some really good translations of Dragon Quest 5 and 6 on my emulator on my phone recently. Sounded like you might be looking for something portable.

DQ isn't exactly what I'm looking for but I do enjoy DQ5. Haven't gotten to DQ6 yet because I wanted to finish 5 first (not that they are likely to be connected in any way). I was enjoying the PS2 remake of DQ5 until I found out that every time one of my people dies and I go back to the church to heal them the game will get stuck in a loop and cause me to lose all of my progress if I didn't save beforehand. Also, I'm not playing this stuff on the go. I'm playing it on my SNES via the Powerpak.

Have you ever played Battle Ogre: March of the Black Queen? That one is an all time classic of the genre.
There's also the sequel, Tactics Ogre.

Funny that I never tried these before. I think I was expecting them to be too complicated. Maybe I should be more adventurous. Interestingly enough I've been listening to the soundtracks to these two for a few years, ever since I checked to see who did the music for Odin Sphere (which I still need to beat, I'm on the final boss battles).

Treasure Hunter G

You know, it's funny. I didn't try this game for the longest time because I thought no one had ever made an english version. Maybe I was confusing it with Treasure Conflix. I'll def check it out. I'm sure the music will be good. :)

Thanks for the suggestsions, folks.

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 07:48:36 pm »
Both Majin Tensei games are really good

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 08:01:28 pm »
FRONT MISSION

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 11:16:28 pm »
Ogre Battle is surprisingly complicated for a SNES game, but I agree that it is a great game. Worth the effort. And if I could play it back when I was 13 or so, I'm sure you can handle it.
They made it a little too tough to choose the "good guy" path, IMHO, but still a very engaging game. Besides, the "bad guy" path is fun - liches and demons and were tigers, aww yeah! On the subject of using a mouse (raised earlier), it's also the only game I ever played besides Mario Paint (if that counts as a game) that used the SNES mouse.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 12:13:15 am »
I tried out Treasure Hunter G. I now think it's even more strange that was I previously under the impression that there was no english translation of this, since upon testing it out I realized that I had played it before. LOL I remember checking it out years ago and saying to myself "This looks cool but I've got too many other things I need to play right now". It's def the kind of thing I'm looking for. The battles reminded me of Dark Law: Meaning of Death but much more fluid (and much less frustrating).

Both Majin Tensei games are really good

I somehow forgot about these. I hope they're pretty simple because I can't read a bit of Japanese. Can't understand any of it unless it's spoken. :-[ At least there appears to be a translation in the works.

FRONT MISSION

I already know this one's cool. :) I just gotta set aside some time to play it.

Ogre Battle is surprisingly complicated for a SNES game, but I agree that it is a great game. Worth the effort. And if I could play it back when I was 13 or so, I'm sure you can handle it.
They made it a little too tough to choose the "good guy" path, IMHO, but still a very engaging game. Besides, the "bad guy" path is fun - liches and demons and were tigers, aww yeah! On the subject of using a mouse (raised earlier), it's also the only game I ever played besides Mario Paint (if that counts as a game) that used the SNES mouse.

Good point, but I def feel like a need a manual half the time when I get into one of these games for the first time. I'm glad you mentioned the SNES mouse. I need to get one of those. I just check to see which SNES games support it and Cannon Fodder was on the list. There were actually many more games that support it than I ever would have imagined. Shien's Revenge would be cool with a mouse. heh Yeah, Mario Paint. I remember James and Mike (J&M Mondays) called it "an app for the SNES". Sounds about right.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 12:15:36 am »
There's only two answers that matter if you've got Der Langrisser covered.

Front Mission, and FEDA.

FEDA is like Shining Force, it SF was three times more awesome. Play Moar Front Mission.

Being completely honest, I absolutely adore both those games. Front Mission has a very good story for the type of game it is, and I love the customization. FEDA just feels like the grown-up version of Shining Force. Like Shining Force is the middle school kid's version of political intrigue and SRPG, and FEDA is his hardworking, hard-drinking dad, who says whatever's on his mind because he's seen it all, and lost 2 fingers and a toe in the war back in the day. Yeah, I like FEDA that much.

Also, even though I don't consider them very good, or fun personally (sorry), Cyberknight may be something you like. It hasn't been mentioned yet. The graphics are dated, but if you're into science fiction then you may enjoy its aesthetics, and give it a fairer chance than I did.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:21:17 am by Next Gen Cowboy »
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 12:34:08 am »
FEDA is like Shining Force, it SF was three times more awesome. Play Moar Front Mission.

Being completely honest, I absolutely adore both those games. Front Mission has a very good story for the type of game it is, and I love the customization. FEDA just feels like the grown-up version of Shining Force. Like Shining Force is the middle school kid's version of political intrigue and SRPG, and FEDA is his hardworking, hard-drinking dad, who says whatever's on his mind because he's seen it all, and lost 2 fingers and a toe in the war back in the day. Yeah, I like FEDA that much.

haha You certainly make a good case for it. I've seen this a bunch of times but never tried it out. Sounds pretty cool.

I think I've tried Cyberknight before. Just like Treasure Hunter G, that was one of those games I decided to play later but unfortunately forgot about.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 01:47:20 pm »
Cyber Knight 2 is an incredible game. It's loads faster than the original.

I might recommend Super Robot Wars Gaiden, though the translation isn't anywhere near ready; we've had to, uh, basically throw out the text we had and start from scratch :| SRW titles are easy to follow though in Japanese once you learn the system, and Gaiden is probably the fastest and most approachable of the lot on the SNES.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 03:00:44 pm »
I tried out Ogre Battle late last night. That was pretty fun.

Later on today/tonight I'll try to see if I can squeeze in a test run of Cyber Knight 1 & 2, Feda: The Emblem of Justice and probably Tenchi Muyo.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 08:57:17 pm »
Don't let CK1 sour you on CK2. The difference is pretty amazing.

Trickless

• View Profile
    • Japan Adventure Attack!
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 05:43:03 pm »
I've yet to play it but Energy Breaker looks like an interesting one.
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/346/

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 07:11:35 pm »
I've yet to play it but Energy Breaker looks like an interesting one.

I was just going to check this one out. I like games with female leads so that will be one of the next games on my list.

I tested out Tenchi Muyo! - Game Hen.  TM! seems like it would be fun, even if the dialogue was a little cheesy. Makes me think of the stilted dialogue from an anime with a bad dub (minus the annoying voice-acting). The battles weren't too slow so that's a big plus. I also like the animations.

I still haven't gotten to properly test Cyber Knight I & II or Feda: The Emblem of Justice, Ball Bullet Gun or Jutei Senki. Some of these games take a bit of playing to get to the battles so it's hard to test a bunch of them without taking a bunch of time to do so. I'm sure I'll like Tactics Ogre since I've enjoyed OB so I'll probably just shelve that one for later.

Until now I forgot that Super Robot Wars Gaiden was mentioned so I've still got that too. I haven't tested the Majin Tensei games yet because I'm a little apprehensive about playing a game from this series without knowing what is going on.

I'll probably keep Rampart on the low end of the priorities. The graphics were just too bland. LOL That's something I sometimes have trouble getting over.

So far I've enjoyed: Tenchi Muyo! Game Hen, Ogre Battle - The March of the Black Queen, and Treasure Hunter G.

Just for clarity, before starting this thread I was already familiar with: Bahamut Lagoon, Der Langrisser, Front Mission, Nage Libre, Cannon Fodder, Syndicate.