News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Super Double Dragon Speed Up  (Read 3187 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
Super Double Dragon Speed Up
« on: June 28, 2015, 05:53:19 pm »
In the game Super Double Dragon, there is an ever-so-slight speed up that happens during transitions between scenes. If possible, I'd like to do a hack where this speed up is permanent.

Anyone have an ideas about how to track down the code responsible for this speed up, or just speed up the game by small increments? It's rather painfully slow compared to previous games in the series. I'm a babe in the woods, or I wouldn't ask.

Thanks for reading!
Yamero~~!

KyleRXZero

• View Profile
Re: Super Double Dragon Speed Up
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 06:35:29 pm »
I've always thought his game was rather slow as well. Not sure how to begin fixing that; but I would recommend hacking the Japanese version instead of the US version. Both versions were rushed, but the Japanese version is the most complete.

https://tcrf.net/Super_Double_Dragon#Regional_differences

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 10:27:39 pm »
Yeah for sure. Oddly, the Japanese version has a little bit more content and a extra feature or two.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 10:06:24 am »
I've always thought his game was rather slow as well. Not sure how to begin fixing that; but I would recommend hacking the Japanese version instead of the US version. Both versions were rushed, but the Japanese version is the most complete.
Quoted for truth. It's such a shame the game is so much rushed, if only they took the time to complete it it would have had been an amazing game! But as it stands, it's average at best.
Yeah for sure. Oddly, the Japanese version has a little bit more content and a extra feature or two.
The japanese version was released later.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 10:15:38 am »
In the game Super Double Dragon, there is an ever-so-slight speed up that happens during transitions between scenes. If possible, I'd like to do a hack where this speed up is permanent.

Anyone have an ideas about how to track down the code responsible for this speed up, or just speed up the game by small increments? It's rather painfully slow compared to previous games in the series. I'm a babe in the woods, or I wouldn't ask.

Thanks for reading!

The speed-up is likely triggered by a flag in RAM. You can try to compare RAM between two similar scenes, one with the speedup and one without. If there are not too much differences between the 2 dumps, you can observe them on other scenes to determine where the flag is.

Other idea : you find which RAM area is devoluted to main sprite. you can find there the x position, or the id of the current frame.. Then you put a watchpoint on one of these to find how they are updated, and compare to what happens when the speedup is on. Norally, a check on the flag mentionned above must be done somewhere near. Knowing asm is a plus.