News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Which Game Should I hack?  (Read 2681 times)

Cody2819

• View Profile
Which Game Should I hack?
« on: June 20, 2015, 03:55:09 pm »
(I hope this is in the right place, free to move if it isn't)

A few years ago I attempted to make a Pokemon hack in Fire Red, but I couldn't rewrite all cutscenes or even get a new event I put in to even work. Being unable to get it to work even with another hacker's help I ended up giving up, but recently I been thinking of reattempting it. Now I have at least 2 hacks in mind, but I mainly want to do one and for it, well that's why I posted this topic. Before I begin to reget the hacking tools I need to know which Pokemon game to hack, gen1 (most memories with Red Ver), gen2 or the remakes? I could hack the gen4 remakes of gen2 Heart Gold and Soul Silver however, I never could get the DS emulators to ever work on my old XP.

I'm on Win7 now a 64.bit, it could work but haven't tried yet. Now why do I need help in deciding which game to hack? It's because of the idea which I'll share now, please don't steal or anything but sure none of you will. The idea/story is as follows:

Spoiler:
Lavender town, the normal purple town as some called it where countless Pokemon were laid to rest inside the Pokemon tower. They all rest peacefully and people from far and wide came to pay their respects to them, or came to lay their own Pokemon to rest. Everyone held Pokemon tower as a sacred place for Pokemon and spirits but one day the
peaceful rest was disturbed...Some years after a trainer named Red visited and saved the tower from Team Rocket's evil, it was threaten again.

The sacred tower where countless souls rested was tore down, for a radio tower. The bodies were moved to a little old house but this didn't stop the restless souls from being angry. A few months after the radio tower was built over Pokemon tower and the day it became active, the souls have had it. They became angry at the humans for taking away their resting place, and the radio noise was hurting them. On the sacred day on the 13Th date of a certain month they cried, they cried out and their cries were heard by other resting places of souls across the world.

Suddenly all at once, in reaction to the cries the dead, human and Pokemon alike, rose. The dead started to walk as either zombies or ghosts, they attacked the heartless humans that disturbed their peaceful home and rest and made their lives just as they made their slumber...unhappy...Years have pasted since then and the dead still walks the Earth, the peaceful world of Pokemon had became just a mirror of the once peaceful afterlife, painful and peaceful. But some humans with their Pokemon friends are fighting, fighting to restore the world like it was.

You are one of them, only you don't know it yet. Your about to embark on your journey as a Pokemon Trainer, only now the goal isn't to be the best or collect them all. It's to stop the dead that was heartlessly disturbed so many years ago by a radio tower that should never have been built...

Ever since playing gen2 for the first time I hated that Gamefreak replaced Pokemon Tower with a radio tower, I mean how much more disrespectful to the dead can you possible get? Unsure if they tore down the tower or just moved the bodies, either way that's just plain wrong to do. Anyways I started thinking about a story involving how mad the ghosts would be, wouldn't you? Anyways I thought about how this could go and you'll start as any newly trainer would, still gonna be gyms and such but this time the world is like the zombie end of days, dark. XD

Not too dark, but you get the idea. Basically you play as a new trainer who gets involved in the whole thing as the reason he/she left was to look for his/her missing brother (step brother really) and goes to the gyms as his/her brother knew them and the Elite4. Don't wanna mention a lot as still to decide on stuff, mostly the game. I think gen2 would be alright but would need to readd Pokemon Tower to it as well as the radio tower, maybe but mostly the Pokemon Tower as the end game will take place there. How? I got a idea but anyways, which gen should I hack for this and which would fit perfectly?

I like gen1 and it has a creepy pasta character that will be added, but gen2 has a bigger world and sure it can hold more memory. But which ver should I hack? I just want to get expert hackers' views on which ver and which gen would be work better, so your thoughts and suggestions?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Which Game Should I hack?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 03:28:02 pm »
it could work but haven't tried yet.
Isn't that the sort of thing you should figure out before making your decision..?

Anything you can't do with an existing editor will probably be too much trouble, especially considering what happened with your previous attempt.  So, check out what editors exist and decide if they can do what you want.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Cody2819

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 10:10:46 pm »
Isn't that the sort of thing you should figure out before making your decision..?

Anything you can't do with an existing editor will probably be too much trouble, especially considering what happened with your previous attempt.  So, check out what editors exist and decide if they can do what you want.

Well that was so long ago and I know more about scripting from flash 8 and RPG Maker, which can be used to make a 100% new Pokemon game but hacking might be easier. Also thanks for replying. ^^ I was getting tired of posting stuff that never ever gets a reply...

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 12:44:56 am »
Well that was so long ago and I know more about scripting from flash 8 and RPG Maker, which can be used to make a 100% new Pokemon game but hacking might be easier.
No, scripting in Flash 8 and RPG Maker is almost but not quite entirely different from hacking Z80 assembly code.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 01:33:03 am »
Well that was so long ago and I know more about scripting from flash 8 and RPG Maker, which can be used to make a 100% new Pokemon game but hacking might be easier. Also thanks for replying. ^^ I was getting tired of posting stuff that never ever gets a reply...

I can say 100% without a doubt that it would be easier to program a new game using RPG Maker or Flash (??) rather than to try to hack an older game, without access to the source, to do something it wasn't meant to do. That's like saying that it's easier to tear apart a hamburger to make a hot dog than it would be to just set out to make a hot dog in the first place.

Cody2819

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 06:30:36 pm »
I can say 100% without a doubt that it would be easier to program a new game using RPG Maker or Flash (??) rather than to try to hack an older game, without access to the source, to do something it wasn't meant to do. That's like saying that it's easier to tear apart a hamburger to make a hot dog than it would be to just set out to make a hot dog in the first place.

As a animator I can say it'll be worth it, and well I already have a game in RPG Maker VX Ace but just wanted to retry hacking. Test my skills and ya know? And all that I would be editing would be cutscenes, adding in events and undead people/Pokemon. If it'll be easy no fun in it, btw if I do hack think I'll just hack Crystal Version. Most memories with Red Version but gen2 could hold more, btw if you haven't read my intro post I have OCD. ^^;

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 07:35:08 pm »
As a animator I can say it'll be worth it, and well I already have a game in RPG Maker VX Ace but just wanted to retry hacking. Test my skills and ya know? And all that I would be editing would be cutscenes, adding in events and undead people/Pokemon. If it'll be easy no fun in it, btw if I do hack think I'll just hack Crystal Version. Most memories with Red Version but gen2 could hold more, btw if you haven't read my intro post I have OCD. ^^;

I guess it all depends on what your goals are. If your goals are to make a new (Pokemon) game that's yours and make your own story, then RPG Maker all the way. If your goals are to learn assembly and pick up some coding skills and this is just a helpful excuse/pet project to get you going, then yeah, it's a great idea!

I decided that I wanted to learn PHP two weeks ago, so I woke up at 5am, got a cup of coffee, downloaded a database with Japanese postal codes, and opened up some PHP websites so I could code a Japanese address to English converter. Two days later, it's online and working! So yeah, sometimes you just need a project to push you in that direction of learning something new.