News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Yoshi's Island on GBA  (Read 7330 times)

zstandig

• View Profile
Yoshi's Island on GBA
« on: June 19, 2015, 12:07:25 pm »
One of the major obstacles to running all SNES games on a flash cartridge is the fact that Nintendo utilized expansion chips such as the SuperFX. Yoshi's Island on the SNES used a SuperFX2 I believe. Nintendo successfully ported it to the Gameboy Advance in the early 2000s (I think 2003ish).

What I'm getting at, what exactly did they do to negate the Super FX on the GBA? Does it have its own implementation? Is the GBA just that much more powerful than the SNES? If so, is it possible to do whatever it is that Nintendo did and perhaps hack a "SuperFX Free version for use on flash cartridges?

(This is all out of curiosity, I'm not requesting anything)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: Yoshi's Island on GBA
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 01:23:35 pm »
To my understanding, some of the things the Super FX chip could do, like sprite scaling, sprite rotation, and to a degree 3D graphics, were supported on-hardware by the GBA (it being a 32-bit console), but graphics warping effects were largely beyond its capabilities. Compare the effects of touching a Fuzzy on the SNES to the GBA. The background doesn't swim around anymore and the foreground wobbles in a much jerkier way.

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 09:06:30 pm »
GBA was just that good? I guess that's to be expected 1990 vs 2001ish. They seemed comparable, but I suppose they both have strengths and weaknesses.

I guess I jumped to too many conclusions and got excited.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 09:40:57 pm »
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but does Yoshi have that crying baby for the whole game or just part of it? I remember trying this game out and that sound was so grating I was totally revolted and stopped playing almost immediately. If Yoshi does have the baby for the whole game, has anyone made a hack to disable that sound? It looks like a fun game and I adore the art style. I know I'm missing out by not playing it.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 10:02:54 pm »
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but does Yoshi have that crying baby for the whole game or just part of it? I remember trying this game out and that sound was so grating I was totally revolted and stopped playing almost immediately. If Yoshi does have the baby for the whole game, has anyone made a hack to disable that sound? It looks like a fun game and I adore the art style. I know I'm missing out by not playing it.

+1  I cannot stand Yoshi's Island for this very reason.  I wish it was just a regular Mario style instead of the baby thing.  What a waste of such an awesome engine. 

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 10:55:24 pm »
I went looking around and luckily I found the solution.

*If your file size is 2,049 KB it has a header*
Open the ROM in a hex editor. Go to 3484F and change 44 to 22.

*If your file size is 2,048 KB it has no header*
Open the ROM in a hex editor. Go to 3464F and change 44 to 22.

That's it. Just one byte.

If done correctly, no more obnoxious crying.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 11:21:56 pm »
I went looking around and luckily I found the solution.

*If your file size is 2,049 KB it has a header*
Open the ROM in a hex editor. Go to 3484F and change 44 to 22.

*If your file size is 2,048 KB it has no header*
Open the ROM in a hex editor. Go to 3464F and change 44 to 22.

That's it. Just one byte.

If done correctly, no more obnoxious crying.
What sound does it play instead of the crying?

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 11:53:38 pm »
What sound does it play instead of the crying?

Nothing.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 12:51:23 am »
The baby cry was intended to be as grating and obnoxious as possible according to Miyamoto. They first experimented with nothing, bleeps only and different baby cries and the result was focus testers not giving a damn about Baby Mario :P

Then they came up with four more even worse baby cries in the DS game. And then it was the cries and the background music in the 3DS version!

I dunno but the GBA version is worse (palette, effects, music, resolution...) save for the extra levels - if only there were a way to import them back to the SFC version, that one would be perfect.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 01:05:10 am »
The baby cry was intended to be as grating and obnoxious as possible according to Miyamoto.

That makes sense, but it backfired in my case. I remember as if it were yesterday. It was probably about 10 years ago. I turned the game on. I started the first level and within about 10-20 secs Mario started crying. It felt as if a high voltage wire had been patched into my nervous system. I soon discovered that I could not leave Mario behind. I immediately turned the game off. I hated it so much that I didn't try it again until now. LOL

I dunno but the GBA version is worse (palette, effects, music, resolution...) save for the extra levels - if only there were a way to import them back to the SFC version, that one would be perfect.

Aren't there some level editors for this game?

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 03:10:22 am »
That makes sense, but it backfired in my case. I remember as if it were yesterday. It was probably about 10 years ago. I turned the game on. I started the first level and within about 10-20 secs Mario started crying. It felt as if a high voltage wire had been patched into my nervous system. I soon discovered that I could not leave Mario behind. I immediately turned the game off. I hated it so much that I didn't try it again until now. LOL

For those of us who played the game back when it was new and only got new SNES games for Christmas, our birthdays, and maybe once or twice more a year by saving our hard-earned pocket money, it wasn't much of an option to just turn a game off and never play it because of an annoying cry.  :P

"Necessity is the mother of invention" and all that

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 03:39:30 am »
Aren't there some level editors for this game?

Recreating the entire levels by hand would be tedious, but hopefully converting the GBA level data shouldn't be too hard provided it's similar with the SFC one (I looked it up and it seems the GBA-exclusive red missile enemy is coded in the SNES version as well.
There are also other things to worry about like the level select screen and score tally
That would be a fun project to try :P

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 03:41:56 am »
I played Snes and GBA versions tons of times, and never had a problem with the crying thing... I don't get hit too often and when it happens you can take back baby Mario in 1-2 seconds (USE THE TONGUE!) and that's it...

So, I really can't see the problem.  Just like Navi in OOT, I really don't find her annoying, and while I can understand the jokes, I in fact find far more annoying how people overreact to it.

But eh, to each his own.

The red missile enemy if I'm correct is an unused enemy from the original game, a few days ago I was looking around unused things in Mario games and i remember it, lol.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 03:53:50 am »
For those of us who played the game back when it was new and only got new SNES games for Christmas, our birthdays, and maybe once or twice more a year by saving our hard-earned pocket money, it wasn't much of an option to just turn a game off and never play it because of an annoying cry.  :P

Luckily I found it dirt cheap (before shops started over-pricing certain retro games, back then it was just "some old game") not long after I had entered the work force. I'm glad I waited until I knew how use a hex editor to play it again. I can't imagine forcing myself to listen to that crying (or playing an entire game on mute).

For some reason I'm reminded of the summer when I helped my dad do a bunch of stuff and I went out and bought Super Metroid with the money I earned. That's probably the most satisfied I have ever been with a purchase. That game was just too awesome. Not many gaming experiences have compared to playing that one for the first time.

I played Snes and GBA versions tons of times, and never had a problem with the crying thing... I don't get hit too often and when it happens you can take back baby Mario in 1-2 seconds (USE THE TONGUE!) and that's it...

So, I really can't see the problem.  Just like Navi in OOT, I really don't find her annoying, and while I can understand the jokes, I in fact find far more annoying how people overreact to it.

The sound of a crying baby is just one of those sounds I can't stand, like dogs barking or power ballads. It just does something to me. Like if someone installed a switch in me that would instantly make me pissed off or something. Imagine if you were super homophobic or something and every time you made a mistake some guy's big floppy dong showed up on screen. Anyway, problem solved and the game has magically become 100,000,000 times better.

heh I actually liked Navi and also liked the fact that she annoyed so many people. :)

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 07:24:07 am »
That example you made was bizarre, lol. I personally don't mind it too much because after all, babies cry, and this one is being attacked... I guess it just makes sense to me, even if most people get annoyed by it. Just like some people get annoyed by Yoshi's sounds. I personally find them awesome.

It would be curious to see if the GBA's Baby Mario cry can be muted too, just so people can play the extra content without this sound.

I ended up liking more the portable version because of the brighter colors too (The same happens with Super Mario World on the GBA, I enjoy the portable version more), but I see i'm pretty much alone in that regard.

I don't know why but both games on the Snes look weird to me, even as a kid, some colors feel a little off...
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 10:55:31 am »
I ended up liking more the portable version because of the brighter colors too (The same happens with Super Mario World on the GBA, I enjoy the portable version more), but I see i'm pretty much alone in that regard.

I don't know why but both games on the Snes look weird to me, even as a kid, some colors feel a little off...

There are also subtle level design alterations for the SMW GBA and even Yoshi Island making levels easier than their SFC original counterparts too... Some regard these (and Zelda 3 GBA, which had the fifth palace simplified a huge lot) as inferior and dumbed down for that reason.
Well, while I agree with this (even as someone whose childhood version are the GBA ones), I personally think Mario USA and Mario 3 are superior on the GBA. If the Zelda port included the Satellaview enhancements from Zelda AST and hadn't butchered some of the level design, it had the potential to be the superior version as well.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 02:39:05 pm »
That example you made was bizarre, lol.

I remember typing that without really thinking about it and then when I went back and read it before posting I couldn't stop laughing.

It would be curious to see if the GBA's Baby Mario cry can be muted too, just so people can play the extra content without this sound.

I'm certain it could. With the fix I posted I just kept googling things and then happened to get lucky because someone at some SMW forum had posted the solution.

That is strange. Maybe you should see a doctor. hehe jk :)

There are also subtle level design alterations for the SMW GBA and even Yoshi Island making levels easier than their SFC original counterparts too... Some regard these (and Zelda 3 GBA, which had the fifth palace simplified a huge lot) as inferior and dumbed down for that reason.

Yeah I hate that sort of thing. Modern gamers are such pussies.

If the Zelda port included the Satellaview enhancements from Zelda AST and hadn't butchered some of the level design, it had the potential to be the superior version as well.

You may already know this, but over at Zeldix you can find many bugfix and improvement patches for the SNES ALttP, like one that makes the Pegasus Boots behave like they do in AST.

http://www.zeldix.net/t385-original-alttp-bug-fixes
http://www.zeldix.net/f32-item-adjusting

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 05:38:08 pm »
Some of the level changes were done to make jumps easier because of the GBA's smaller screen. That said, yeah, some of them were just to dumb things down.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 03:17:36 am »
The changes in the level design on Yoshi's Island doesn't bother me too much (Zelda on the other hand may take some fun from the game...), because in the GBA version you now have 8 new levels that are harder than most of the original ones, so in that regard you're still having a challenge out there to compensate those small modifications.

But again, that's just my way of seeing it.

I remember typing that without really thinking about it and then when I went back and read it before posting I couldn't stop laughing.

Just imagine if some studio actually did that... I can see the press going crazy already.

That is strange. Maybe you should see a doctor. hehe jk :)

It's not that I find the games ugly, it's just a few things that seem off. Like Mario's colors on SMW, and some yoshies in Island.
Mario wears red and blue, not pink and... some kind of greenish blue? Nothing big, really.

At least in GBA everything looks like they was "drawn" with pastel tones, so it feels more fitting. The SNES colors for Mario and Luigi are to rough for me, I guess. But even then, that doesn't bring the original games down or anything.

Another reason for liking SMW GBA more is because it actually has Luigi as a playable character with his personal sprite and gameplay. Even Yoshi acts different depending on what character you use.

You may already know this, but over at Zeldix you can find many bugfix and improvement patches for the SNES ALttP, like one that makes the Pegasus Boots behave like they do in AST.

http://www.zeldix.net/t385-original-alttp-bug-fixes
http://www.zeldix.net/f32-item-adjusting

Oh man, I didn't know about those! Thanks for sharing... The Roc Feather in ALTTP? OH GOD YES! Let it be good...

I couldn't stop jumping on the GBC games.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 03:24:26 am by Maeson »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2015, 10:31:03 am »
At least in GBA everything looks like they was "drawn" with pastel tones, so it feels more fitting. The SNES colors for Mario and Luigi are to rough for me, I guess. But even then, that doesn't bring the original games down or anything.

GBA games had bright colors because of the (so I've heard, never actually owned one personally) terribly dark screen of the original model (though I've got a WSC, which sounds like it is similarly flawed). (I've got both versions of the SP and a GBP)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018