News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Sour Music Kart + Demo  (Read 9017 times)

gridatttack

• View Profile
Sour Music Kart + Demo
« on: June 18, 2015, 01:22:27 pm »

Welcome to Sour Music Kart, a new & personalized Super Mario Kart hack.

Sour Music Kart was started by user Blabrake as a tribute to his IRL friends, with in game jokes like the known Parigo Kart.
We then decided to collaborate in it to bring a complete new experience: Blabrake is in charge of the new graphics and music, while I do the tracks.

This thread here is to keep the progress of this hack.

However, why is more accessible as an in joke hack, is that its intended to explain the in joke things to people outside of his circle of friends, aswell as not over challenging tracks.

So, whats changed in Sour Music Kart? Well I could say literally everything!

New content include:

-New characters
-New Backgrounds
-Brand new music(minus title screen so far)
-24 new tracks, with a Super Mario Kart feel emphasis
-Edited miscellaneous graphics, such as menus, character select, etc.

So as of now, here is the current progress of this.

-All backgrounds changed/modified
-19 out of 20 tracks are done
-All battle tracks complete
-All music replaced (minus title screen and victory fanfares as of now)
-New item graphics
-New title screen
-New Podium screen
-Modded credits

As before, this is a WIP, so anything you see here, might change in the end.

Now, lets head up to some screens, shall we?

~New Title Screen & Character Select~

The characters are, from left to right:
Upper row: Freddy Goulet, Sunfighter, Jakey Boones and Tyler
Bottom row: Dan, Gully, Jules and Rozy

~New tracks & battle courses~

All the Eight themes are mostly based on real life locations, where the characters are from.

-Wisconsin (replaces Mario Circuit)
Gully's turf. Race inside an American Football Stadium. You can see the players of both teams on the background as they watch you race, along with the crowd.

-Lame Foods (replaces Donut Plains)
The races here takes place inside the lamest grocery store of the local Brainerd, MN area as the customers shop. Watch out for the Manager(s) of the store who jumps out when you least expect!

-Boones Bay (replaces Bowser's Castle)
Venture into Jakey Boones domain, which takes place on a Pirate Fortress. Beware the Stone Skulls who will try to crush you!

-Portland
Portland, OR. Home of DoubleDutchRecords. The race tracks here consist of sand bars in the middle of the rivers that flow downtown. You can see the skyline and even the peak of Mt. Hood off in the distance.

-Nuked Chicago (replaces Ghost Valley)
Dan's theme. Carefully race across the debris and ruins of Chicago, who was recently blasted by a nuke!

-Off the Grid (replaces Choco Island)
Sunfighter's dream come true! Tents, camp fires, and solar panels. Just the basics to live off of so that you can keep away from the city!

-Brainerd ('replaces' Vanilla Lake)
Brainerd, MN. Home to many things sourmusic related. It's north central Minnesota, so of course we're racing on a frozen lake here.

-Record Studio (replaces Rainbow Road)
The record studio. Where good things can happen with music. We're not here to jam though. Focus on your driving, stay on the red carpet, or else fall into obscurity!

~Battle Tracks~
All 4 battle tracks are done. Enjoy new ways to battle your friends!

Video of the Second Cup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_vH8Od7l5M

Theres a whole more to cover, like the items and the music. You can find that information at the webpage of the hack.

Whats left to do:
-Portland 2
-New title screen music
-New racers tunes
-Edited cup selection screen.

Demo

This demo includes the first cup with all new tracks (2 from the first cup and 3 from the second cup) as well as the first battle track.

It's outdated by now, as it features a driver who no longer appears in the final game, as well as the old Ghost Valley theme.

>>Download demo<<

Thanks for stopping by!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 03:51:12 am by gridatttack »

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
Re: Sour Music Kart + Demo
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 12:40:41 am »
This looks impressive! I must ask, how'd you alter the compressed graphics (title screen marquee, Monty Mole, etc.)?

"Portland" should have scads of retarded hippies blocking the track with their ghey little Priuses.

gridatttack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 01:38:24 am »
This looks impressive! I must ask, how'd you alter the compressed graphics (title screen marquee, Monty Mole, etc.)?

"Portland" should have scads of retarded hippies blocking the track with their ghey little Priuses.

I didn't edited those. BLabrake [the other member of the hack] edited them.

But from my experience, he decompressed the graphic offset where they are located, using the same editor we use to make tracks (Named Epic Edit), which includes an option for decompressing and decompressing graphics at certain offsets.

We then use YYCHR or something similar to edit them.
The palette for those graphics can be accessed via the editor, so that's not an issue.

We also have a page (which I cant find ATM :< ) where we have most stuff and offsets documented from the game.

And lol, to bad we cant do that. We ran out of objects to use from (the pipes were replaced by rednecks, and the piranha plant graphic is too small)

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 06:46:21 am »
We also have a page (which I cant find ATM :< ) where we have most stuff and offsets documented from the game.
I would be very interested in that information, should it resurface.

I figured out how to give the Luigi racer unique/independent sprites for his bottom half. Lemme know if such a thing is of any service.

gridatttack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 08:22:17 pm »
I would be very interested in that information, should it resurface.

I figured out how to give the Luigi racer unique/independent sprites for his bottom half. Lemme know if such a thing is of any service.

I found the notes. Turns out theyre not a page. Its a download.
Here are them:

http://stifu.free.fr/dl/smk_doc.zip

BTW, that sounds great. I'll tell the other guy about if he needs them separated!

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 09:09:37 pm »
This is quite impressive.  :)  I bet this would be cool running on my RetroN5.  :D

gridatttack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 03:23:33 am »
So we finally made the first Portland track.

It didn't turn out too bad as we thought.

Heres a pic of it:

Video of the second cup coming soon!

thedarkbanshee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 12:48:37 am »
I will take a look at the demo. This looks really good. I'm a huge battle fan and your battle maps appear really impressive just from the pics.

I'm reviving an old hack of MarioKart myself. Attempting to make it hard with in reason unlike pro edition. The sad thing about pro edition is as far as I consider it is impossible to get to the special cup. Epic edit will not access the game either thus there is no way to even see what the special cup looks like. I like hard games but not impossible ones. I hope you make your hack with in reason. I know its lots of trial and error when it comes to getting the AI just right but in the end it is really worth the effert.

Good luck!

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 03:37:33 am »
Is the SNES Mario Kart music format documented anywhere?

thedarkbanshee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 03:36:26 pm »
Which rom do we put the patch on? E.sfc, USA.smc or j.sfc

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 09:27:10 pm »
The races here takes place inside the lamest grocery store of the local Brainerd, MN area as the customers shop.
Is there going to be a cash-filled briefcase hidden in a snowdrift near a fencepost?

gridatttack

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 03:14:40 am »
I will take a look at the demo. This looks really good. I'm a huge battle fan and your battle maps appear really impressive just from the pics.

I'm reviving an old hack of MarioKart myself. Attempting to make it hard with in reason unlike pro edition. The sad thing about pro edition is as far as I consider it is impossible to get to the special cup. Epic edit will not access the game either thus there is no way to even see what the special cup looks like. I like hard games but not impossible ones. I hope you make your hack with in reason. I know its lots of trial and error when it comes to getting the AI just right but in the end it is really worth the effert.

Good luck!

I'm so sorry for the really late reply (I sort of stopped checking this thread once I saw nothing was posted in 1 month)

And yeah, the battle system in this game is one of my favorite in the series. I like making battle maps just for fun. I have another SMK project which is my personal hack. If you are interested, you can see the post with images and videos here (http://nsmbhd.net/thread/2927-super-mario-kart-universe/) I can't post it here due to the rules regarding multiple threads from one author.

And don't worry, for this one I made sure I did the track design as close as possible as the original track designs while keeping out some questionable design choices the original tracks had and to keep them as interesting as possible. There's no really hard track here, as all are doable in 150cc with the fastest characters if one is skilled enough (I have personally tested this).

Oh, and no problem there. I have a lot of experience in making SMK tracks, so I know how the AI boxes work now. I can make stuff like sharp corners, cross jumps, multiple paths, ensure the AI works on all classes... It's not that difficult once you get the hang on how the AI boxes work.

As for the ROM version, it is an U rom. IDR if it was headered or unheadered.

Also, progress has been slow due to both of us having IRL stuff going on, but the hack is close to finish. I'm only missing the second beach track to do (which I saved for last because making the beach tracks for this game is really difficult to get right)

In any case, here's the video of the second cup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_vH8Od7l5M

New features such as a better tileset for lame foods (you now see its some sort of flooring instead of the weird snow before)

I should have another video of the third ghost valley track up later this day.

Is the SNES Mario Kart music format documented anywhere?

Not really. The info available is scattered over Board2 forums. From what I understood is that to insert custom music, messiaen's music importer is used with the old version of SMWC custom music files.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 03:38:49 am by gridatttack »

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 06:29:16 pm »
Not really. The info available is scattered over Board2 forums. From what I understood is that to insert custom music, messiaen's music importer is used with the old version of SMWC custom music files.

It's all good. I've since figured out how to hack the music via hex code.

DragonArk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 10:28:45 am »
Looks great guys! I'm making my own edit of characters but I can't find how to change the color palettes for each character. What program are you using to change the default color palettes?

gridatttack

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 11:59:29 am »
I uploaded another video which showcases me doing a speed run of nuked chicago 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFgvxR43Zws

Looks great guys! I'm making my own edit of characters but I can't find how to change the color palettes for each character. What program are you using to change the default color palettes?

Sorry for the late reply. You can edit the graphics for the drivers in YYCHR as they are uncompressed, and the palette can be found on each of the track themes palette files near the end of the pages associated for the palettes (IIRC it was somewhere between 8 and 11)

Do note, that all drivers share a palette with someone else, meaning you only have 4 different palette for the racers to use. Also, you need to change them on all the themes for take effect. You could theoretically have each driver look different as the palette for them are on the theme palette, which is not global, and instead will only take place in that particular theme.

DragonArk

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 02:09:40 am »
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I heard about that, sounds annoying. I tried to do it with YYCHR before but couldn't figure it out. Now that I know it's there somewhere I'll give it another crack. Cheers for that!

Megakoopax

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 06:02:15 pm »
Impressive to say the least, I can't wait to play this.

gridatttack

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 01:19:56 am »
So good news people, the hack has a deadline release date of August this year.

This means that the hack will be released no matter what that month, however, this also means that it could be released sooner if we manage to finish everything by then.

As for another news, the hack has now officially all brand new 24 courses for you to enjoy.

Here's the last one, Portland 2, fresh out of the oven:

What's left to do is that I am redoing the first Off The Grid track because it sucks and it was made quickly, so now I am adapting the previous Wisconsin 2 track into the OTG theme and I will try to improve The Record studio background, as currently, that's the lowest quality one.

gridatttack

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 10:50:04 pm »
Woah, an update!
So back from the grave, we missed the deadline set before, however we haven't been idle in that point.

New stuff includes a new racer tune for all 8 characters, some backgrounds been modified to be better, and tuning for the racetracks. 

Here's the most notably new change, the record studio track got a more detailed BG, as well as a new road tileset:

The hack is basically finished. were just ensuring there's no game breaking stuff and adjusting the tracks so they play better.

Stifu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 04:43:53 pm »
Congrats on your hack, gridatttack. It's been a while, has it not?

About this old post:
I'm reviving an old hack of MarioKart myself. Attempting to make it hard with in reason unlike pro edition. The sad thing about pro edition is as far as I consider it is impossible to get to the special cup. Epic edit will not access the game either thus there is no way to even see what the special cup looks like.
I take it that's because that hack has been made with MAKE. I didn't bother making Epic Edit compatible with MAKE-modified ROMs, because it looked like more trouble than it's worth (.smkc file compatibility was good enough to me). For the record, tracks in the original SMK are compressed, and MAKE changes that to make all tracks uncompressed, altering the way SMK loads tracks. EE, on other hand, just follows the logic of the original game. So EE fails to open MAKE-modified ROMS because it tries to decompress tracks that are not compressed. If you'd like, I could still extract the tracks from any SMK hacks by tweaking EE locally (or you can do it too if you know a bit of C#).