News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mother 1 GBA Color Restoration [completed]  (Read 10770 times)

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
Mother 1 GBA Color Restoration [completed]
« on: June 17, 2015, 04:54:40 pm »
As some of you may know, a lot of GBA games have brightened, washed out colors in order to make it easier to see on an unlit GBA. This is a patch for *Mother 1+2* for GBA that restores the colors back to what they were on NES (just the Mother 1 side of the ROM, I have not bothered with the Mother 2 side and don't have any plans to)

...except I've made several patches. Because there are no true NES colors because of the way it handles colors. To my knowledge, NES games don't have any palette data, they just have 'color assignments' choosing from the NES's 64 different color 'slots'. But the way these colors appear can be different from one TV to another, whether it's between NTSC and PAL, or RF/AV cables... so really there are no 'true' NES palettes, hence why I've included several palette options from various sources.

When they ported Mother 1 to the GBA, they adapted the NES 64 color limit to it, and came up with their own unique color palette that was clearly optimized for the original model GBA and nothing else. Unfortunately that palette they used makes trees look neon-green on backlit displays.

Screenshots/Comparison:
(Yes, oddly enough the original GBA palette is the darkest for Magicant)

Mother 1 + 2:

Smooth(FBX):

NES Classic Edition:

Wii U Virtual Console:

These patches can be used in conjunction to any of the translation patches out there. You can patch it to a clean ROM (which means you'll play it in Japanese), or you can patch it to an already-patched translated ROM, either way it doesn't matter, as the only data these patches touch is the 64 colors that the game uses as its palette data.

I recommend using the standard Smooth(FBX) patch. Only use the Virtual Console color patch if you're playing it on a really bright display.

Link to patches: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ai3xr14iefm30js/MotherColorRestorationPatches.zip/file

The .zip file contains:
1. "M1 Color Restoration - Smooth(FBX).ips" (RECOMMENDED)
-makes color palette look like the accurate one made by FirebrandX,who went through great efforts to reverse-engineer an accurate NES palette.

2. "M1 Color Restoration - NES Classic.ips"
-makes color palette look like the one used by the NES Classic Edition.

3. "M1 Color Restoration - VC Official.ips"
-makes color palette look like the one that Nintendo uses on their Virtual Console releases for NES games on Wii and Wii U.

4. "BootToM1.ips"
-the game will immediately boot to Mother 1, and will skip the 'choose game' menu entirely. It essentially turns "Mother 1+2" into just "Mother 1".

5. "SkipSplashScreen.ips"
-ONLY USE THIS ONE IF YOU HAVE ALREADY APPLIED MATO'S TRANSLATION PATCH. What this patch does is it removes the splash info screen from Mato's translation patch. I wanted to remove it because in order to make a standalone Mother 1 for GBA, and Mato's splash screen mentions his Mother 2 hacks which is redundant if you're also going to use the 'BootToM1' patch.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 04:22:17 pm by Chaos Rush »

TheZunar123

• View Profile
Re: Mother 1 GBA Color Restoration [completed]
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 11:43:42 pm »
Nice work.

Unless this is the hack you're thinking of, there is a patch that fully uses Mato's translation in the NES version. It also updates the graphics too. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2211/
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 11:53:11 pm »
Dear god, does the Virtual Console version really look THAT dark?? I prefer the washed-out, ugly GBA scheme over the muted dark colors on the VC.

Though, of course, the mock NTSC NES palette is the best.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 12:58:04 am »
Nice work.

Unless this is the hack you're thinking of, there is a patch that fully uses Mato's translation in the NES version. It also updates the graphics too. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2211/
Actually "Mother: 25th Anniversary Edition" uses an abridged version of Mato's translation in order to fit in the NES ROM without doing major text repointing (source: https://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/Mother-Earthbound-for-NES-with-tomato-s-translation/page/1#post2069733). And not all enemy and item names are identical, it appears that DragonDePlatino only changed enemy/item names if it fit within the character limit of the EB0 enemy/item name (hence why the Redneck enemy is still 'Wally' in that hack), and that hack uses "Giegue" as the final boss name instead of "Giygas", despite the fact that they have the same name in Japanese and Shigesato Itoi himself has said that the final boss of Mother 1 and Mother 2 are the same entity (but of course, that could easily be remedied with simple search+replace hex editing). I'm not trying to sound rude in any way and I apologize if I come across as that, I'm just explaining why I cannot view 'Mother: 25th Anniversary Edition' as the definitive version of Mother 1.

Dear god, does the Virtual Console version really look THAT dark?? I prefer the washed-out, ugly GBA scheme over the muted dark colors on the VC.

Though, of course, the mock NTSC NES palette is the best.
Yeah, that's the actual palette that Nintendo uses on their NES VC games, as someone over at GBAtemp ripped the exact palette and I just inserted that into M1 GBA's palette. In the Mother1+2 ROM, at 0xF6441C are 128 bytes (64 colors) that the entire game uses as its palette data, and this palette is 'imitating' the NES's 64 color slots. Using a color tool (Advanced Palette Editor) you can modify the palette to whatever NES palette you want, and that's how I made these patches. I decided to include the VC palette anyway despite how dark it looks on most displays because it's the closest we'll ever get to an 'official' NES palette. I'm tinkering with that palette though and might make a third patch that looks like the VC colors, but brightened so that the 'white' color is actually white.

EDIT: updated the link which now contains an extra patch that is basically VC colors but brightened, screenshots in the first post also.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 01:44:23 am by Chaos Rush »

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 03:10:37 am »
Hey, sweet stuff, dude! It looks great now. And I like the extra patches to skip the splash screen and boot automatically to Mother 1. It'll go nicely on my Wii! :thumbsup:
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 02:26:54 pm »
I'm not trying to sound rude in any way and I apologize if I come across as that, I'm just explaining why I cannot view 'Mother: 25th Anniversary Edition' as the definitive version of Mother 1.

Hmm. So what is the definitive version of Mother? (if there even is one) I'm wondering because I tried this game out last year and thought it was pretty cool, but I had a bunch of other games to play so I haven't begun playing it for real. Opinions please.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 02:47:28 pm »
This is awesome! This is really great!

Good job restoring the colors.

Now if only somebody might do the same thing with Mother 2. That is, once Jeffman is done with his VWF project for Mother 2 (GBA)

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 04:47:59 pm »
Hmm. So what is the definitive version of Mother? (if there even is one) I'm wondering because I tried this game out last year and thought it was pretty cool, but I had a bunch of other games to play so I haven't begun playing it for real. Opinions please.
If you want the best script, I'd recommend the GBA translation. If you don't want quite as much grinding, go with the 25th Anniversary Faithful Edition.
When I played it, the only option was Earth Bound Zero and I found that to be quite dandy too (aside from Giegue's name being different than his SNES counterpart)

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 05:05:38 pm »
The definitive version of Mother is the Japanese version. Go learn Japanese.

Seriously though, I think you're being a little too picky Chaos. DDP did his best with the limitations he could work with, so unless you're willing to make the changes to the game yourself or wait for someone else to do it, your best bet is to just settle for 25th Anniversary or the GBA version with Mato's translation. Not trying to be rude, but that's just my thoughts on it.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 05:18:36 pm »
If you want the best script, I'd recommend the GBA translation. If you don't want quite as much grinding, go with the 25th Anniversary Faithful Edition.

Ah. Sounds like I may want to go with the 2nd option then. I can't stand grinding these days. It's the video game equivalent of filler.

The definitive version of Mother is the Japanese version. Go learn Japanese.

No thanks. I listen to a lot of Japanese music because not only do I like how their short choppy sounds work well within the medium, I like being able to enjoy the melodies without being distracted by how stupid the lyrics are (I'm really picky about lyrics). If I learned Japanese it might potentially ruin some of my favorite music. I prefer to make my own associations based on the atmosphere that the music creates.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 05:33:05 pm »
I understand that, but the reality is that only the Japanese version is the truly definitive version, because of how different the language is. Many things just don't carry over and are lost in translation. I would bet even Mato's awesome translation has a few things like that, it's inevitable.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 05:55:27 pm »
I forgot about the "easy ring" in the GBA translation. That raises exp and money to reduce grinding. So it really comes down to better graphics vs more detailed script.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 06:06:08 pm by Bobolicious81 »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 06:08:45 pm »
I forgot about the "easy ring" in the GBA translation. That doubles exp and money to reduce grinding. So it really comes down to better graphics vs more detailed script.

I thought I remembered reading about that ring at some point but I couldn't remember which version it was included in. Sounds like the GBA trans + one of Chaos Rush's palette hacks is the way to go then.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 06:09:58 pm »
your best bet is to just settle for 25th Anniversary or the GBA version with Mato's translation.
That's exactly what I'm doing...?

Also while the definitive version of Mother 2 and 3 are definitely the Japanese versions (if you can understand it), I don't think that's the case in the Famicom version of Mother, which has an incomplete ending (though it could be argued that it's not in complete, it's just spookier), and something is different about getting the final melody (don't exactly remember what though).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 06:30:15 pm by Chaos Rush »

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 07:26:53 pm »
I'm just saying since you mention in the OP that you're hoping for "a NES hack of Mother 1 containing Mato's translated script fully", the closest you can get until it happens would be those two options, unless you're willing to do the work yourself.

By "definitive version" I was really referring to the GBA Japanese version since that one has the ending iirc. Unless you want to be super nitpicky about a couple lines that were changed like the Dragon Quest reference which aren't even story related.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 07:34:21 pm »
That's exactly what I'm doing...?

Also while the definitive version of Mother 2 and 3 are definitely the Japanese versions (if you can understand it), I don't think that's the case in the Famicom version of Mother, which has an incomplete ending (though it could be argued that it's not in complete, it's just spookier), and something is different about getting the final melody (don't exactly remember what though).
According to the EarthBound Wikia page (not Wikipedia), it said that the original Japanese version had so many different things that to some programmers considered wrong. The English prototype known as EarthBound Zero, nowadays known as EarthBound Beginnings, had some tech. changes that fixed some things just to make the Japanese version (Mother) more right and accurate.

Here's the link: http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/Mother_(video_game)#Censorship_and_localization

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 07:55:59 pm »
Ideally a hacked version of EB0/EBB would be definitive IMO because as far as I know it's the most updated codebase (not counting the GBA port) but it also boasts superior music. And yeah, I wouldn't mind a NES hack containing Mato's full script (even DPP said he would if he could), but I do understand why it would be ridiculous (believe me, I've tried). Though I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to fix the item and enemy names, though when I looked into it I couldn't quite grasp how NES pointers worked, I'm only knowledgeable on GBA pointers. I'm not even bothered that much by Phil Sandhop's translation, it's the lack of consistency that I'm bothered by (item and enemy names that are different between EB0 and EB despite being the same in M1 and M2 Japanese), and I understand that this doesn't bother everyone because it doesn't affect game play at all. I think the GBA version + Mato's translation is the closest we'll ever get to an English definitive version, but one reason why it would still be nice to have it on NES is because of the superior music on the NES version. Someday I'll try to look into fixing the music on the GBA port, problem is the M1 GBA port doesn't use the Sappy engine that most GBA games do (but the M2 port and the 'game select menu' does).

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2015, 10:29:39 am »
Quote from: Chaos Rush
If anyone can rip the palette that Nintendo uses for NES games on 3DS Virtual Console (which is a different palette from the one they use for Wii/Wii U), I will gladly make a patch for Mother 1 using 3DS VC colors (you'll be credited of course).
Just so you would know, there are two 3DS NES color versions: the normal, untouched VC version, and the 3D Classics version (for example, 3D Classics: Excitebike) without the 3D effect of course.

SuperrSonic

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 11:01:46 am »
Sorry for bump.
Just so you would know, there are two 3DS NES color versions: the normal, untouched VC version, and the 3D Classics version (for example, 3D Classics: Excitebike) without the 3D effect of course.
You're not wrong, I just wanted to add more to this. The VC on 3DS has its settings exposed on a file, if you view this text file you see various settings: dark, motion blur, reduce color, etc.

Dark works by setting a value from 1 to 10, 10 being nothing and 1 being completely black. As it seems every NES VC uses dark = 7 so that's 30% black on screen. In any case disabling this gets you Ultimate NES Remix colors. 3D Classics Excitebike is confirmed to be a full remake, so it might not use the same colors as VC.

I have ripped the 3DS VC palette without the above filter, if you are still interested.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ripping-the-nes-virtual-console-palette.371706/

This is good confirmation that Nintendo does not dim these games because they think it is correct, but for a completely different reason. I think it's obviously to prevent seizures, SMB3's patch file indicates that in certain parts of the game dark is set to 6 (40% black), this means they intentionally went through the trouble of doing such a specific change.
Of course not every NES game can trigger seizures but I guess Nintendo doesn't care for this.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 01:10:53 pm »
I really want to continue with this project and restore the M2 palette for this compilation.
It's on my hacks-to-do after I finish debugging my EB Spanish translation actually.

Also, I was wondering if you could make a patch that boot ups directly into M2 instead of M1, I love having standalone ROMs when it comes to compilation ROMs.

Thanks in advance!