News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Seiken Densetsu 2 Retranslation and Expansion (translator needed)  (Read 34673 times)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Re: Seiken Densetsu 2 Retranslation and Expansion (translator needed)
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2015, 06:05:58 pm »
I will say though for the SOM Android game.  The graphical update is probably some of the most work I've seen done on a port in forever compared to most games.  They actually made most of it look damn good.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2015, 11:16:51 am »
Wish I could say the same for the FFV steam port. The character graphics are garbage and they didn't even properly scale the tiles to avoid tearing.
Would have been really nice to be able to turn off the stupid screen filter, too. Who in their right mind actually likes fuzzy graphics?

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2015, 07:50:55 pm »
I will say though for the SOM Android game.  The graphical update is probably some of the most work I've seen done on a port in forever compared to most games.  They actually made most of it look damn good.

Well, truth to be told I am interrested into using the tileset for the expansion, along with SD3 and Sword of Mana tiles.
however we are still at the beginning. Also if anyone does a little, it will still be progress.

DragonArk

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2015, 12:13:23 am »
I don't agree using SD3 tiles though. To me, the graphic style/colors are different to SoM and wouldnt mix too well.

How's the decision making working on this project? Is it all through the Skype channel or only made by you Thanatos-Zero?

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2015, 03:07:16 am »

It really looks better most of the time, but some things like the reflection in the water doesnt look good to me. The way the game only runs at 30FPS is also really bad IMO. I dont know if this is because of the new graphics but if it is, I would rather play with the original graphics at 60FPS.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2015, 05:30:30 pm »
I don't agree using SD3 tiles though. To me, the graphic style/colors are different to SoM and wouldnt mix too well.

How's the decision making working on this project? Is it all through the Skype channel or only made by you Thanatos-Zero?
It is democratic within our group on Skype. However, if no one rejects, all ideas are considered to be accepted.

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2015, 02:43:15 pm »
Are we still at 40% script insertion?
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

RetroHelix

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2015, 03:53:04 pm »
As far as I know SD2 does not support mirroring so using the SD3 tiles would be difficult anyway. I would like a graphical updated though :)

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2016, 05:25:47 pm »
Hi everyone, just to let you know that Zshade, Enker, Regrs and Moppy are working on to understand SoM's coding so the future editor will work properly.
However, they are still scratching around the top of the glacier, but it goes forward with the process, albeit slowly.

I might start to work this year on a proper english and german translation, provided RedScorpion will be there. However we will keep the changes FuSoYa included.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2016, 08:37:09 pm »
Good to hear!  I'm anxious to see more done with this game!
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2016, 01:44:56 pm »
Hey guys i've been working on some programs related to hacking Secret Of Mana. Even tho I have been silent around here for a while, im still spending a lot of my time working towards understanding more about how the game works and I thought it was a good time to show some of the tools I came up with so here goes:

First, here's what my AI 'editor', called "Rabite Brain Dissector",  looks like:

- It's really more a viewer than an editor right now. Even tho it can edit, the only way to do so is by clicking on the bytes on the left which is not really more practical than an hex editor aside from beign able to view the "translated result" on the right when refreshing.. There is only maybe 2 or 3 AI codes which are unknown (or not fully understood) out of 256.

- I tried to make the resulting human-friendly line of codes look kind of like C/C++ or java so most programmers would find it easy to read.
In its current state it show only 1 subroutine at a time, there is not really a good way to know where the script for a particular enemy end and some functions are used by more than 1 kind of enemy and translating the whole AI script of all the enemies takes too much time to be practical so its the best way I could think of.

- When there are Jumps/Gosub, the destination address is written between brackets "{ }" which can be right-clicked to instantly see the destination subroutine or scroll to the destination line if it's in the current subroutine. Subroutines can be named and the chosen name is shown instead of the address on GoSub lines, like can be seen in the image  in the 6th line : "GoSub ;(AI).Find_AI_Closest_? { D0B9F6 }".

- Also, there are some instructions that use data related to characters, taking a byte parameter for the data ID and to again make it more readable, I have given names to the most commonly used values like for example there are lots of time when enemies check their power% in order to see if they are able to attack or not and act accordingly which would translates to something like if ( Self.Power <= 00 ) instead of if ( Self.6D <= 00 ). I didn't have the patiente to name all 256 possible IDs and frankly I don't think most of unamed IDs would have any pratical use, like I don't think anyone would like an enemy to act differently according to the axe skill level of the closest player or the address of his current sprite frame's construction data... but still, any ID can be used, but unamed ones will show the raw byte value.

- In case you are wondering from reading the translated code in the image, '$4' is, one the 4 variables that each enemy/cpu have used solely for AI scripts. Most of the time it is assigned a random value and followed by a bunch of if blocks with different instructions in order to make the enemies not have the exact same behaviour for a given situation.

Heres a program that proplerly shows the common (as in non-boss) sprites:

I made it to make sure I understood exactly how sprite construction works but im thinking about changing it into an animation editor later and maybe make it work with the AI script editor so that instructions used to play animations can be right-clicked (or something) to see what the animation would look like because animation also have IDs which are different for each enemy. Example :"Play Animation ( #02, 00, Away_From: Target)"  will play the enemy's 2nd animation for at least '00' frames, facing away from the enemy's current Target (00 here means 'play the whole animation once', other values can be used to make the animation interuptible, like say if you want an enemy to walk toward it's current target, you could play its 'walking' animation but when the enemy is close enough to the player, since you would want it to attack right away instead of finishing it's walking animation you could use a low value like 02 so that after 2 frames, if it has something else to do (like attacking because the target is in range) it will stop its current animation))

Next is what I've been working on in the past week or so, it's a disassembly editor:

with different people having worked on the SoM disassembly, I wanted to have a way to make everything more "standard" as well as check for missing bytes/badly named line addresses by comparing it to a ROM and found a way to use Scintilla (the control notePad++ uses to show text) in VB.net (which I already have lots of romhacking-related re-usable modules for) and thought it would be the perfect project to learn to use it.

- It highlight every kind of comments into different colors as well as some of ASM instructions, makes address following any BRA/JMP/JSR/etc.. into a clickable link which instantly make the editor jump to the right bank file at the right line as well as keep track of where it was before so that, pretty much like an internet brower, you can go back/forward, the left panel shows the lines that can be reached by going back/forward when pressing Shift + MouseWheel Up/Down.
- The program uses regex to cope with different styles and keep track of everything, it makes it easy, to for example, count the number of bytes each line have and check if the next line has the right address number and print a list of the cases where it doesnt fit, with each entry jumped to by a click
- The portion showing the raw-byte is read-only and can easy be split to seperate lines which are automatically named to make human-errors less likely and make editing the disassembly faster and more enjoyable.

Each of these projects are still WIP, I like to work different things, it keeps me from getting bored hehe. I have other tools in development that I would like to show but this post took way more time to write than I thought so I'll get to it another day.

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
    • http://ff6hacking.com/
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2016, 03:40:19 pm »
Awesome, awesome, and more awesome!

Really interested in these tools and glad to hear you're still at it with the SoM hacking. :thumbsup:

One little feedback that is not important at all, I think the AI utility sounds better just 'Brain Dissector', without the Rabite in there, as it dissects more AI than just the Rabite obviously.

DragonArk

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2016, 12:45:58 am »
Awesome! Glad to hear you are still working on Secret of Mana stuff. Looks like you are keeping yourself busy. Keep it up and look forward to hearing more from you

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2016, 01:06:43 pm »

you don't think SD3 Rabites would work in SD2 ?
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

DragonArk

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2016, 02:34:57 am »
you don't think SD3 Rabites would work in SD2 ?

I'm not saying they wouldn't work, I'm just saying they look like they are designed from a different artist and wouldn't match with the other existing sprites in sd2