News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Random thought inspired by the Super Mario Bros. Super Show  (Read 4698 times)

Duke2go

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Reconstructed
So,

Since I started working on my Final Fantasy project, I've been finding myself watching a lot more "video game" related music and TV. I found the SMB Super Show on Netflix, and I started thinking about the premise of the show, that the Koopas have invaded the different worlds that the show decided to make up that day. So I thought this morning, what if there was a SMB game that was kind of based upon the show. SMB 2 seems the most likely game to use as a base since there are 4 choices for characters (and all of them were in the show). It shouldn't be too difficult to change some of the enemies in the game into more "classic" SMB characters, and a lot of the enemies from 2 actually ended up in later games. The only problem I can see is that including enemies like Goombas and Koopa Troopas as the engine works now wouldn't allow for them to be stomped on (although they could be thrown). I was also thinking about the "Koopa" shell that is in the game, and if some coding could be done, a normal Koopa Troopa could be pushed inside the shell and then "kicked" towards the enemies. The only real change that would really need to be made would be changing Wart into "King Koopa" (although it seems viable to change the bubbles Wart fires into fireballs). I'm not really in a position to learn to hack SMB2 right now, but I wanted to throw the idea out there to see what other people thought. There is a total lack of SMB2 hacks that I've discovered, and this would be more of a "fun" game than an overly hard "master quest" like the only other SMB2 hack that I've played.
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/finalfantasyreconstructed/

henke37

• View Profile
Re: Random thought inspired by the Super Mario Bros. Super Show
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 08:52:39 am »
It would probably be easier to just make a new game from scratch.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 09:29:50 am »
The only real change that would really need to be made would be changing Wart into "King Koopa" (although it seems viable to change the bubbles Wart fires into fireballs).
That "real change" would be far easier than anything else you have proposed.

I'm not really in a position to learn to hack SMB2 right now, but I wanted to throw the idea out there to see what other people thought.
That is why there is a Hack Ideas thread.

There is a total lack of SMB2 hacks that I've discovered
There are apparently fourteen on this site alone.  Legend of the Blob Bros is pretty nifty.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 09:31:26 am »
I guess it could be done, although I only speak with the experience of making a graphical/text hack (nothing that can be called advance hacking) years ago that I never released because of how silly it was.

I changed characters, enemies, items and bosses to a random mix of Youtube Poop things, like Zelda C-DI/Hotel Mario, and other weird things that I happened to see back then when YTP were relevant as a joke between some friends and me.

The playable characters were The King, CD-I Link, Morshu and Gwonam. The bosses were a taken from different parts of the YTP universe, CD-I Ganon being the substitute for Wart, so I think Bowser could fit in it.

What I'm trying to say is that as far as graphics go, I remember the game being easy to work with, with the exception of some bosses like the snake one, which I ended up doing something so stupid I don't even want to name it, so it's not much of a problem.

The change in gameplay for some enemies on the other hand...

Here's a random screenshot:
Spoiler:

Here, The King (Which is Mario's substitute) fights a reworked Birdo: A Fake CD-I Mario with a toaster!
Toasters toast toast, so that's what he shoots. When you defeat him his fake moustache goes flying.

And here is...
Spoiler:
A...Nigel Thornberry...bird...thing. And Morshu (Toad's substitution).

The snakes in world 2 were changed to Waluigi-esque stick figures.

Man, this thing brings memories. It was my first hack ever. I learnt how to do graphical changes and text changes through it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 09:39:53 am by Maeson »
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 10:05:17 am »
That "real change" would be far easier than anything else you have proposed.

Most of what I proposed is just graphics hacking, not a serious ASM heavy rebuild.

That is why there is a Hack Ideas thread.

I put this in discussion because I wanted to "discuss". Should I have put it in the other thread, maybe. Will nobody pay any attention to this thread in a few days, probably.

fourteen on this site alone.  Legend of the Blob Bros is pretty nifty.

You're right, and I mis-spoke. There ARE SMB2 hacks out there, but the ONLY one that I've run across that wasn't some crazy parody was the 2nd Run, which even as many times as I played SMB2 as a kid (and into adulthood), I can't beat without save states. Very few if any of the other hacks of that game stay "true" to the SMB2 nature that it started with. I might take your suggestion and try the Blob bros one, but I was just thinking out loud about a "fun" game that was inspired by the Super Show, and SMB2 to my thought process seemed to fit that bill.

Thanks everyone for the input.
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 04:32:52 am »
The Super Mario Bros Super Show was one of my favorite cartoons from when I was a kid. While the shows werent exactly like the video games like having both fire flowers and stars make Mario and Luigi become fiery and Bowser being called King Koopa and looking like a giant alligator instead of a dragon like beast, it did have its charm and I did love it. I know everyone else in my family loved the Zelda cartoons on Fridays more. LOL! Anyways, Id love to see what you can come up with. Maybe you can have King Koopa in his many outfits, doing silly stuff, depending on the world Mario and the gang are in.

RIP Capt Lou Albano and Danny Wells.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 09:06:55 am »
Am I the only one who to this day remembers Evil Eric?!?!?

"Dis mah house! Dis mah show! Tommy?? Shaddup!!!"

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 01:18:19 pm »
Around the time that SMBSS was on, my parents were having an addition built onto our house and the construction foreman was Lou Albano's brother-in-law (I don't remember if it was his sister's husband or his wife's brother). He got me a signed picture. But Lou signed it "Mario" instead of "Lou Albano." The photo is probably still in my patrents' house somewhere. Wonder if it has any value...
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 12:56:20 am »

Everyone always seems to talk about the live action Mario segments, but Club Mario just seems to fall into that specific little range of awfulness where everyone wants to forget it.  I watched that crap over and over again in the gravely mistaken belief that a show produced by Nintendo might actually, y'know, feature some chatter about video games.  It never happened.  I was so mistaken.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 01:48:54 am »
Everyone always seems to talk about the live action Mario segments, but Club Mario just seems to fall into that specific little range of awfulness where everyone wants to forget it.  I watched that crap over and over again in the gravely mistaken belief that a show produced by Nintendo might actually, y'know, feature some chatter about video games.  It never happened.  I was so mistaken.

It didn't help matters much that the Club Mario theme song was a poorly-disguised rehash of Janet Jackson's "Black Cat".

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 03:42:52 am »

Yes, I do remember that awful Club Mario junk that showed up long after reruns of the Super Show ran. Its best to pretend it never happened.

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 09:21:13 am »
The Super Mario Bros Super Show was one of my favorite cartoons from when I was a kid. While the shows werent exactly like the video games like having both fire flowers and stars make Mario and Luigi become fiery and Bowser being called King Koopa and looking like a giant alligator instead of a dragon like beast, it did have its charm and I did love it. I know everyone else in my family loved the Zelda cartoons on Fridays more. LOL! Anyways, Id love to see what you can come up with. Maybe you can have King Koopa in his many outfits, doing silly stuff, depending on the world Mario and the gang are in.

RIP Capt Lou Albano and Danny Wells.

Seconded on the RIP if I didn't already. I loved this show when I was younger (and I agree with you that I was upset when the Zelda series came on on friday afternoons). It definitely had its charm, and the animation actually holds up pretty well other than the dated themes. I even liked the look for "King Koopa" because that was the best rendition of Bowser in animated form that we'd really had up until that point. Does anybody else know why it looked like he had scotch tape on the front of his crown sometimes?

Mind you, I haven't taken even a glance at the rom image itself, and have no idea how the tiles are lain out yet, so I don't know if any of this is feasible. As for any actual graphics hacking, I hadn't really gotten much more into it yet than the basic premise. Your idea about having Koopa as a boss that is dressed up in some of the assorted outfits that he had from the show is a pretty good one too. Technically, MOST of the enemies from SMB2 (Shyguys, Snifits, Pokey, Ninjis, Birdo's, Bob-ombs, Albatosses, Flurries, and I believe Trouters) were shown in animated form on the show. I seem to remember some others as well, but I fell asleep through some of the episodes when I was watching late at night and didn't go back to watch the episodes that I missed yet b/c I just really haven't had the time. I had kind of thought about keeping Mouser and Triclyde since they were often shown as his henchmen within the show, and I don't feel like they would make great generic enemy characters since I could use the Koopa Troopas/Paratroopas and Goombas. I also thought about making one of the bosses into a larger Koopa Troopa since they were shown to be the same size as Koopa/Mouser/Triclyde at times. FryGuy might not be able to be changed for real unless he turns into 4 smaller versions of something (without probably some extensive hacking at least). That really just leaves ClawGrip (who I don't remember being on the show). Don't really know what could be done with him, but again, just kind of tossing the idea around right now without any real substance behind it. It WOULD be cool to have Piranha plants and pipes, but again, not sure if this is possible (especially the plants as they go in and out but don't actually "move"). But again, this is just a hypothetical that I threw out for discussion. Glad that it started so many different responses. Have a great weekend all.

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 02:51:13 am »
Seconded on the RIP if I didn't already. I loved this show when I was younger (and I agree with you that I was upset when the Zelda series came on on friday afternoons). It definitely had its charm, and the animation actually holds up pretty well other than the dated themes. I even liked the look for "King Koopa" because that was the best rendition of Bowser in animated form that we'd really had up until that point. Does anybody else know why it looked like he had scotch tape on the front of his crown sometimes?

Mind you, I haven't taken even a glance at the rom image itself, and have no idea how the tiles are lain out yet, so I don't know if any of this is feasible. As for any actual graphics hacking, I hadn't really gotten much more into it yet than the basic premise. Your idea about having Koopa as a boss that is dressed up in some of the assorted outfits that he had from the show is a pretty good one too. Technically, MOST of the enemies from SMB2 (Shyguys, Snifits, Pokey, Ninjis, Birdo's, Bob-ombs, Albatosses, Flurries, and I believe Trouters) were shown in animated form on the show. I seem to remember some others as well, but I fell asleep through some of the episodes when I was watching late at night and didn't go back to watch the episodes that I missed yet b/c I just really haven't had the time. I had kind of thought about keeping Mouser and Triclyde since they were often shown as his henchmen within the show, and I don't feel like they would make great generic enemy characters since I could use the Koopa Troopas/Paratroopas and Goombas. I also thought about making one of the bosses into a larger Koopa Troopa since they were shown to be the same size as Koopa/Mouser/Triclyde at times. FryGuy might not be able to be changed for real unless he turns into 4 smaller versions of something (without probably some extensive hacking at least). That really just leaves ClawGrip (who I don't remember being on the show). Don't really know what could be done with him, but again, just kind of tossing the idea around right now without any real substance behind it. It WOULD be cool to have Piranha plants and pipes, but again, not sure if this is possible (especially the plants as they go in and out but don't actually "move"). But again, this is just a hypothetical that I threw out for discussion. Glad that it started so many different responses. Have a great weekend all.

Clawgrip was in one episode, from what I remember. I have all the episodes on DVD, so I can go and check if needed. Also, I can give you info on the worlds, Koopa costumes, characters who join in certain episodes, info on the live action parts, etc, and even the Zelda episodes, if you want those too. As for adding stuff like Purana Plants, Im sure it can be done by ASM. Maybe someone who knows how to do that can make those pots in the game work like pipes and you can just edit the pots into pipes. As for Fry Guy, I think he would be fine the way he is, even when he breaks into the smaller parts near the end. You should try to make Toad do the squeaky noises as well.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 01:21:02 am »
I don't know if any of this is feasible.
You don't say?

Clawgrip was in one episode, from what I remember. I have all the episodes on DVD, so I can go and check if needed. Also, I can give you info on the worlds, Koopa costumes, characters who join in certain episodes, info on the live action parts, etc, and even the Zelda episodes, if you want those too.
I'm sure all of such information is already out on the Internet somewhere.

As for adding stuff like Purana Plants, Im sure it can be done by ASM.
Many things can be done with ASM, but that does not mean it is remotely easy to do so.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 01:34:26 am »
As for adding stuff like Purana Plants, Im sure it can be done by ASM.
I'd find the movement/behavior protocol code for those pesky leaping desert snakes, then go about assigning it to a throwaway enemy. Perhaps that lone red Sniffit in World 3 can finally have a true calling!

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 06:45:41 am »
I'm glad that this thread has at least reminded everyone of the Super Show. I've got the entire series on Netflix, and I started watching the ones that I apparently fell asleep through last night, so I'm getting a better idea on what was done where. I'm also getting tutored by Disch regarding ASM programming, so I've got a much better idea of WHAT can be done, and I'm fully aware that it probably isn't going to be necessarily a simple undertaking. Like I said earlier in the thread, the MAJORITY of what I've discussed is graphics editing, which can be accomplished by someone without ANY ASM knowledge via tile program like TileLayerPro. I'd already completely graphically altered Final Fantasy 1 without knowing the first thing about programming by the time I started Reconstructed (or this thread). It is also true that the information about what characters appeared in what show is probably on the Internet somewhere, but if someone is going to be nice enough to offer their help, I welcome it. Collaboration on a project seems to spark aspects that the original creator might not have thought of as a lone individual. I like the responses this idea has gotten, but I would ask that if you're going to comment, make it constructive. I'm not singling anyone out, but I like positive thoughts and comments, and negativity just takes away from the otherwise positive aspects that have been brought up in this thread. Anyways, I hope that people will continue to comment and enjoy the silliness that I'd intended this thread to be about from the get-go. Have a great week everyone.

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 02:49:16 am »
I'm glad that this thread has at least reminded everyone of the Super Show. I've got the entire series on Netflix, and I started watching the ones that I apparently fell asleep through last night, so I'm getting a better idea on what was done where. I'm also getting tutored by Disch regarding ASM programming, so I've got a much better idea of WHAT can be done, and I'm fully aware that it probably isn't going to be necessarily a simple undertaking. Like I said earlier in the thread, the MAJORITY of what I've discussed is graphics editing, which can be accomplished by someone without ANY ASM knowledge via tile program like TileLayerPro. I'd already completely graphically altered Final Fantasy 1 without knowing the first thing about programming by the time I started Reconstructed (or this thread). It is also true that the information about what characters appeared in what show is probably on the Internet somewhere, but if someone is going to be nice enough to offer their help, I welcome it. Collaboration on a project seems to spark aspects that the original creator might not have thought of as a lone individual. I like the responses this idea has gotten, but I would ask that if you're going to comment, make it constructive. I'm not singling anyone out, but I like positive thoughts and comments, and negativity just takes away from the otherwise positive aspects that have been brought up in this thread. Anyways, I hope that people will continue to comment and enjoy the silliness that I'd intended this thread to be about from the get-go. Have a great week everyone.

I hope that this project does continue and that you can try to work on using ASM to make this project more closer to what we saw on the shows. I may not know anything about how to program, but I would love to help you with your project. Maybe I can help by giving you ideas on the world setups, or using my very poor art skills to try to make sprites, or at the very least, bug test. Just give me a few suggestions on what you think I can do to help and I can try my best. Just dont give up on this one, OK?