News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: New to this: Adding additional text to Zelda on NES  (Read 1207 times)

objectatnoon

• View Profile
New to this: Adding additional text to Zelda on NES
« on: June 14, 2015, 09:00:17 pm »
Hello everyone.  Im fairly new to ROM hacking, but I have most of the fundamentals covered.  I am trying to do a stripped down hack of Zelda on the NES, but keep coming up against the text limitations.  Is there a simple way of adding more data to game so that the orginal text can be expanded?  Probably not, but I would very much appreciate some suggestions to get me started. 

edit:  probably posted this in the wrong place, im sorry...I see theres a  Newcomer's Board

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
Re: New to this: Adding additional text to Zelda on NES
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 09:15:19 pm »
This is imminently doable, and surprisingly simple.

Zelda 1 stores its text in Bank 1, $[4010-800F]. The pointers to the various text messages are at the very beginning of that bank, comprising the first several lines. All you really need to do is alter them accordingly based on the starting points of your new text strings. Do you know the Zelda 1 text format, and how to convert ROM addresses to their CPU equivalents?

Bank 1 has lots of unused space, especially towards the end. You shouldn't have to expand the ROM or do any weird bankswitching.