News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: smb1 marios moonlight adventure  (Read 2553 times)

Teeporage777

• rom hacker of mario games
    • View Profile
smb1 marios moonlight adventure
« on: June 08, 2017, 09:54:49 am »
Hi all, i just started hacking. I tried a few things but then scrapped them. This is what i am working on right now. Its a smb1 hack. Trial and error, i cant say it enough  :banghead: I have worked so hard on this. Nearly all the graphics were changed and most were redrew by me. i have never hex edited before but trial and error i was able to change starting lives,change over screen, and background color. A lot has been done and i am four worlds in level wise. I even made up some enemies and of course there is some familiar faces with a twist. Text redone of course the title screen is finished. fire flower replaced. This has been a joy as well as torture but i have not been hacking very long. I have been working on this restlessly. I hope you enjoy the screen shots. By the way, figuring out what graphic tile was what was crazy hard haha but nice to learn.
 I changed bloober into a pac man ghost. i changed buzzy beetle to a smw inspired enemy from scratch. Goomba has been replaced with a smb2 usa enemy. Spiny was replaced with shy guy. Like i said there is not much i did not change. the blocks you see in the castle were a creation i made to see what i could come up with. i was very pleased with the results. mario now throws mini axes. I am thinking about changing them to stars and hex editing the throwing to make the power up shoot straight. Not sure.Every level for the most part will be in the dark. i cant wait to present this hack to everyone. Again, if you have any questions or can help me out please do not hesitate to ask.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 09:07:49 pm by Teeporage777 »
"..But it doesn't matter. Nothing matters anymore.."

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
Re: smb1 marios moonlight adventure
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 07:23:50 am »
Very good for a first attempt. The game I chose to learn hacking was also smb1! It is just so well documented that it helps a lot. Don't forget to use the reference.  ROM map RAM map
As for tips I urge you to study fceux's debugger, cheat and code/date logger features in depth. They are simply the best. There are so many details that you may miss that are really important. http://www.fceux.com/web/help/fceux.html?Debugger.html

Teeporage777

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 02:35:03 pm »
Thank you!!  i actually use fceux ultra. it all seemed a little scary at first, but your right. I will mess around with it some more. Thanks for the links they are rally helpful.

RetroRain

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel: RetroRainZX85
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 04:26:57 pm »
This hack looks interesting.  I like what you have shown in the screenshots.  Good luck finishing this. :)

Teeporage777

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 05:52:19 pm »
thank you!!

June 10, 2017, 10:25:44 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
UPDATE...So i have been working on the bugs and testing my levels so far. decided to scrap the clouds and create a new scenery. Also, some pictures of a few enemies that i created. One being the pac man squid and the smw inspired enemy with the turn key on its back.  During the walking animation the turn key spins. Neat little guy. I am working on world six. This hack will have eight complete worlds in no particular order unlike the typical ground, desert, water yada yada.

June 13, 2017, 11:26:58 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hack is complete and has been approved for submission!! thank you rhdn!!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:26:59 pm by Teeporage777 »