News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Speed button.  (Read 5281 times)

Kitzu

• View Profile
Speed button.
« on: June 07, 2015, 06:19:14 am »
I had looked up ways to hinder the performance of the Rom so my computer wouldn't heat up as much. But all those changes made my speed up button go slower. Before it was around 500%, now it only goes up to 150%. This is on a FireRed Hack called Pokemon Sweet Version. I've been looking around in options for a while, help would be very much appreciated. Thanks for reading!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Speed button.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 01:22:39 pm »
Well first of all, if you're going to be using the speed/fast forward button you can forget your computer not heating up as much. I'm no expert but I assume that would require much more processing power.

I don't know what emu you are using but you could probably lower the sound quality (or turn it off completely and just listen to music via a stereo or something) and turn off all the graphics filters. I don't know how much it would help but I bet reducing the emus resolution to a size that is closer to the platforms/consoles/systems original specs would use less brain power as well.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 02:26:44 pm »
If your computer is heating up too much, I suspect a GBA emulator is one of the least problems.

Too much garbage-ware running in the background?
Get more ventilation?
I don't know, there's probably people here who know better.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Kitzu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 03:52:28 pm »
Well I made a few changes and the speed up button is better now. and it's on VisualBoyAdvance. The pages I had in the background were the same as the ones when it went 500% faster.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 07:57:31 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 08:51:48 am by Chpexo »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 08:04:41 pm »
It may not even be that old. I have a similar problem but I think it's because my laptop was designed for homework rather than gaming.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 08:20:43 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 08:50:32 am by Chpexo »

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 02:37:48 am »
I forgot about laptops  :P . Yeah laptops have the tendency to heat up. This is a product of having portability which comes at a cost. I would consider buying a home, stationary computer and add some more advanced graphic and memory chips in the free slots.

In other words, you should invest ~$500+ into a new mid-line PC, buy a monitor, keyboard, and mouse (assuming you have a dedicated desk already) so you can play games from over 10 years ago a little faster. This is a fantastic idea!

Onto the question itself, I think it'd be good to know what you did to "hinder" the rom to make your PC heat up less. Could you let us know what settings you changed? It might be that one of those settings is related to some sync issue, which is cutting your "speed up" button.

Kitzu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 02:46:51 am »
(assuming you have a dedicated desk already)
Nope.

It's about 2 years old at a guess. It's an alienware, but I'm using a low graphics mode because It's only running on one graphics card and it would heat up to around 90C. I use a program called speccy to find it out.

I'm not sure what I hindered, but I changed some other settings and now the speed up button works faster. If you know what things could've caused the problem, let me know and I will check what they're set to.

Avster

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 02:55:56 am »
Speccy is a great tool, but not always accurate when it comes to gauging temperature. Look to Alienware first as they may offer a "Dashboard" or such for your model, which would accurately read and display internal temperatures. I once received extremely overblown temperature readings from Speccy on an ASUS desktop, but ended up downloading software from the manufacturer that showed the actual temperature being far lower than I was initially led to believe.

Kitzu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 10:36:40 am »
Speccy is a great tool, but not always accurate when it comes to gauging temperature. Look to Alienware first as they may offer a "Dashboard" or such for your model, which would accurately read and display internal temperatures. I once received extremely overblown temperature readings from Speccy on an ASUS desktop, but ended up downloading software from the manufacturer that showed the actual temperature being far lower than I was initially led to believe.
Ok, that's some good information. I'm sure my dad would like to hear that, and he could sort it out. He's away atm.