News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Where to get started with more advanced rom hacking?  (Read 1475 times)

Linksu

• View Profile
Where to get started with more advanced rom hacking?
« on: May 27, 2015, 03:40:10 pm »
I used to make rom hacks in junior high then I stopped for some reason, and I wanted to see if I could get back in to it, what re-inspired me was Brutal Mario World, with how they took elements from other games, I'm primarily interested on how the author was able to give mario megaman abilities  :o

I tried searching for tutorials for advanced rom hacking but google keeps giving me articles and sites that host rom hacks.

Thanks for any help in advanced  :thumbsup:

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Where to get started with more advanced rom hacking?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 05:38:05 pm »
I am not sure there is a clear delineation as far as things the end user might see, or at least I can cite examples of things skewing either way. The big thing was and still is knowing the assembly for the system you are working on, for some newer systems with interpreted or otherwise decompilable languages it might not be quite as essential but it is not going away for older systems likely ever and will be potent for years to come in the newer ones too.

Once you know assembly you can figure out how some aspect of the game works, and change its function if you have got that far. You may still have to read up on some more advanced maths, physics, game theory, game design or something to make a useful change but that is a different matter.

Short version. Assembly. Learn it. Personally I would start with technique otherwise known as tracing and also try converting RAM cheats to ROM hacks (and preferably not by recreating an action replay engine in ROM hack form).

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 06:11:50 pm »
Most advanced hacking is done with hardware documentation, a debugger to reverse engineer with, and a cross assembler to assemble new code into the ROM.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 11:35:11 pm »
6502 ASM is your friend.

I authored a series of (PG-13 at best) tutorials on this subject a few years back. If you're interested, I can send them to you.

Honestly, it's not as formidable as it may at-first seem. Someone with average intelligence, who is honestly motivated and actively goes at it, will attain some manner of proficiency within 1-3 months. Various degrees of mastery, 2-6 months.

If you've ever played Donner Party, I was the sole ASM wizard on that project. And when I started, I had barely a year of ASM experience under my belt.

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 03:42:14 pm »
If you're interested in figuring out how carol did it, I might be able to help you there.  I've been in contact with carol in recent months, and I have a copy of all the ASM used for the Mega Man stuff.

Of course, you'd be better off learning a decent amount of ASM from scratch first.  The way these sprites and patches is coded is not particularly easy for a new coder to understand, and the fact it's barely commented (and often in Japanese) means you're gonna need some more knowledge before you can even hope to understand most of it.

Also:

http://dragon.s151.xrea.com/65816/65816.html

http://dragon.s151.xrea.com/sprite/index.html

http://dragon.s151.xrea.com/blk/index.html

If you can understand any Japanese, carol himself wrote these guides to ASM.
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!