News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: The Ultimate Doom  (Read 4508 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
The Ultimate Doom
« on: May 03, 2015, 03:18:14 am »
I purchased this from the Steam store...waste of $5, in my opinion, but it's only because I'm unable to configure it to accept inputs from the game controller, as opposed to the keyboard. The up and down arrows on the keyboard don't work either.

Can anyone help me get this thing set up properly? I mean, I did try to register at the Steam forums proper or I wouldn't be posting here...they said something about verification by email within 7 days? Did I miss a thing in my spam folder or something?

Anyway, just wondering if anyone around here has purchased this, and knows the ins and outs of it. Thanks for reading.

Talk amongst yaselves. I'll give you a topic: DOOM
Yamero~~!

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Doom
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 04:08:38 am »
I can not say I have tried these versions (no Steam) but if memory serves they were just a glorified dosbox wrapper.

Personally though I would just take the wads and fire them through one of the improved versions that got made with the source code releases.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Source_port as a start, not sure what the main versions people are using these days though.

Sliver X

• der Wille zur Macht
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 12:44:26 pm »
GZDoom is really easy to set up and will run well so long as you have a GPU made in the last decade.

And speaking of decades, I've used JoyToKey since like 2001 to use gamepads with things that don't have gamepad support.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 01:35:33 pm »
GZDoom is really easy to set up and will run well so long as you have a GPU made in the last decade.

And speaking of decades, I've used JoyToKey since like 2001 to use gamepads with things that don't have gamepad support.

GZDoom does the trick nicely, thanks Sliver.
Yamero~~!

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 01:03:03 am »
Don't forget to visit DoomWorld.com and check out their Cacowards over the last 21 years, you will find the best WADS/modifications for Doom.

By the way, I would also recommend you purchase Doom II. In fact, I would recommend most new people to Doom II first, because there are more WADs/modifications.

Check out Zandronum (formerly known as SkullTag) if you want to find people from ALL AROUND the WORLD to play with. The sourceport is based on Zdoom/GZdoom so you should have no problem setting up your controller.

My favorite multiplayer WADS are All Out War 2 and Real Guns Advanced 2. Set up your own server and play coop RGA2 with others.

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 10:47:08 pm »
best part of zandronum is invasion imo

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 12:42:24 pm »
Most Definately get DooM II as well, you'll find a plethore of great, user-made experiences having both games.

And once you get into DooM and DooM II for awhile, get ahold of Brutal DooM. It adds all kinds of extreme shit, like replacing the pistol with an assault rifle, spiffy 3D effects for water surfaces, fire and projectiles, Fatalities that restore small chunks of health ( and are hilarious when combined with the NES sounds.WAD), even AI controlled marines that you can save for even more gorey, extreme fun.

There's also Metal Doom music mod on Brutal DooM's Mod DB page that's also worht checking out, even if Brutal DooM doesn't sound like your cup of tea. Some truly amazing music in that one.  :thumbsup:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 12:56:56 pm »
Still ain't finished the first game lol

I'm having trouble with this game actually...I can never seem to find the exit until I've wandered Around for a good solid 15 minutes.
Yamero~~!

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 01:31:51 pm »
Still ain't finished the first game lol

I'm having trouble with this game actually...I can never seem to find the exit until I've wandered Around for a good solid 15 minutes.

Welcome to 90s FPS level design  :crazy:
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 04:10:33 pm »
I feel DooM 1 didnt have as awesome level design as 2 did. It gets a bit staler when you are in the city maps, but the first batch of levels are the best of the best.
_-|-_

Sliver X

• der Wille zur Macht
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 11:31:25 pm »
I feel DooM 1 didnt have as awesome level design as 2 did. It gets a bit staler when you are in the city maps, but the first batch of levels are the best of the best.

In regards to Doom 2, I was pleasantly amazed at the quality of the "No Rest For The Living" PWAD that was made for the Doom 3 BFG Edition version of Doom 2. If you can find it (its canonical name is nerve.wad) I highly recommend giving it a spin: The level design is amazing and the action actually made me feel the same kind of intensity I first felt playing Doom 2 eons ago.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:55:33 pm by Sliver X »

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 03:11:24 pm »
I think the game only allowed the use of the old controller port on PCs of the time. USB input won't work with regular methods. I would configure the contols to the keyboard and then use Joy2Key or a similar program to configure the keyboard to your USB controller. I did so for Doom, Doom II, Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, and Duke Nukem. Works like a charm.