News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Metal Gear NES Faithful Edition

Started by Jonesy47, May 23, 2015, 09:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrrichard999

Maybe there is a way to expand the ROM so it cycles through sets of sprites like how the Roidz hack does in Metroid to create its animated sprites. Might get you to have that Metal Gear eye animate.

Turambar

Quote from: Jonesy47 on June 01, 2015, 11:57:33 AM
His eye no longer blinks and you have to bomb the back wall instead of his feet (the script will be changed to fit) but overall, I'd say its better than just some stupid monster computer monitor.
Any reason why you can't make the eye blink or why you have to bomb the back wall instead of his feet?
If the supercomputer blinks, then you should be able to make the eye blink.

I'm working on my keycard improvement now. Hopefully I will be successful soon. I had to find some code that is apparently unused which I can use to replace the keycard routine with a new routine. I just have to write some assembly and do some testing.

Jonesy47

June 03, 2015, 05:59:24 AM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

That's awesome! A patch like that would be very helpful for those who dont want to dick with the menus tho i will say it has a nostalgic charm to it in a way. I was actually getting ready to seek help to see if anyone knew how to hack in the hind and parachute segments. Would you be interested in anything like that? Also, do you know how palette control is handled per table square or know how the game knows where to send you when you exit a room? The answer to those would also help out quite a bit. Either way, I'll look into it after I've finished all the cosmetic changes to the game.

Also, I think I could get the eye flash back but well see about that. It looks pretty good as is tho. MUCH better than before. As for the bombing area of Metal Gear, Im not entirely sure whats up with that. I try and switch the table squares in gear tool which usually works for everything else like doors but it just wont let me bomb anywhere but the back wall. Worst case scenario, Ill make pettrovich say "Collapse the back wall with explosives to destory Metal Gear!" or something.

Lately, I've been trying to find all the screens within geartool. So far, I have obviously found the metal gear room but I have also found the entire outdoor areas and the roof so I've been changing the jungle intro into something more like the msx original. So far, I've gotten all the indoor areas done, 1 of 2 roof and a quarter of the outdoor done).
Here's some new screenies.
I've currently been restructuring the whole outdoors areas.

Original First Screen                                  New First Screen

Original Second Screen                             New Second Screen

Original Third Screen                                 New Third Screen

Aaaaaaaand the tank fight
Old                                                            New

They aren't perfect but they're more close to the MSX original than what was actually in the game in my opinion.

Spooniest

I remember this thread.

Looks good, dude! I'm itchin' ta play it
Yamero~~!

Turambar

Quote from: Jonesy47 on June 03, 2015, 05:34:00 AM
That's awesome! A patch like that would be very helpful for those who dont want to dick with the menus tho i will say it has a nostalgic charm to it in a way.
Kojima actually did it on purpose to raise tension, but I think it's mostly a pain in the butt.

I was actually getting ready to seek help to see if anyone knew how to hack in the hind and parachute segments. Would you be interested in anything like that?
I'm not interested in doing it, but if you did it somehow, it would be pretty cool.

Also, do you know how palette control is handled per table square or know how the game knows where to send you when you exit a room?
I don't know, but you shouldn't have too much trouble finding out.

As far as my auto-key improvement goes, it seems to be a success!
I would like people to help me test it and give me feedback and tell me if they encounter any bugs or anything.
I just need a place to upload this beat bps patch. Anybody know of a convenient place?

Duke2go

Quote from: Spooniest on June 03, 2015, 07:35:03 AM
Looks good, dude! I'm itchin' ta play it

I'm relatively new to this thread, but I agree with my "Spoony" compatriot, LOOKS GREAT!!! The only minor gripe that I have is that everything looks very dark compared to the NES original. I LOVE Metal Gear (although I never beat the first). The darker look isn't bad, the sreenshots just really show the difference in color tones. Gives it a look that is reminiscent of early spy movies, so it works. Keep up the good work.
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/DevilHunterMiyumi/

Midna

Out of curiosity, will you be changing the indoors music back or is that beyond your capabilities at the moment?

Jonesy47

Quote from: Midna on June 08, 2015, 08:38:28 AM
Out of curiosity, will you be changing the indoors music back or is that beyond your capabilities at the moment?

At the moment, It's beyond what I can do. Right now, I basically have enough ability to modify tiles, modify screen layouts for everything outdoors and on a roof (am still searching for the indoor areas in geartool) and fix up the translation.

I am attempting to dive facefirst into 6502 assembly at the moment though so I may be able to do much much more int he way of making this game more like the original MSX game.

Here's a few things I'd like to be able to do through ASM someday.
Actually be able to modify amount of screens at my disposal and the layout of them, ie, what direction switch rooms or just loop in on themselves.
Change the Twinshot Boss to the Hind D boss.
Change the glove to the parachute, an item that would activate after jumping off the roof after the Hind D fight. At that point, I would have also changed the intro cinematic from a plane carrying four parachuters to one parachuter jumping off a rooftop. Either that or I would write a parachute cinematic from scratch.

I think...Im starting to get the concept of it all? I've finished a prett good tutorial today but we'll see.

So far tho, I have modified a lot even with my meager skills and metal gear IS in it...as is, there's only two other things I want to learn before I make a first release.

These two things are:
How do I make the game recognize a given tile as a floor tile, a solid tile, or a door tile?
How do I modify the placement of a truck exit?

Im thinking about posting this question up on the Newcomer's board. I've done a bit of beginner research but I'm still pretty clueless as far as this is concerned and a suggestion on what field I should study up on to figure this out would be much appreciated!
Anyways, that's pretty much what's up.
I've completely redone all the outdoors areas in the entire game to use nothing but tiles from the msx game. It looks good but the trucks work...weird now lol. They DO work tho just not very naturally.

CyberFox

I'm impressed
I gather you'll do a overhaul hack of Snake's Revenge to do a NES port of MG2: Solid Snake?

Jonesy47

Thanks and yes, I am planning on doing just that! It's basically the main reason I have been learning 6502 lately. Personal matters really blew up in my life as of recently but, in a week, I will be putting my nose back to the grindstone and hopefully eventually be able to do what I'd like as far as my planned hacks go!

Between my metal gear hack and metal gear 2 hack, I also plan on trying to build an NES version of SNATCHER from the ground up with msx graphics and sega CD dialog, with plans to also add the third act as well. By the time I can do that, Metal Gear 2 shouldn't be hard at all (aside from maybe the radar in the upper corner). Id like to make a version of sd SNATCHER for nes also some day.

Basically, I have my work cut out for me  :P

xttx

:thumbsup: Hope everything is coming along nicely jonesy! I check this thread almost daily. :)

Jonesy47

Everything got put on hold for a month or so. I'll probably start again in the next week or so but I will probably release a version with the maps changed and metal gear present before I move on to the more ambitious ideas I have, like the hind fight and parachute cutscene.

REST ASSURED!! THIS TIME, MY PROGRESS WILL NOT BE LOST!!

mrrichard999

Quote from: Midna on June 08, 2015, 08:38:28 AM

You should post a request for help on the music change some it of to the MSX versions :) It could be done most likely.

xttx

Hey Jonesy, were you still planning to release something soon?  ;D This is seriously hot man! Metal gear is/was and always will be a great gem. Your work to this is top notch!

khaz

A complaint I read about the NES version compared to the MSX is how there is no invulnerability time, blinking time when you get hit. Do you think you would be able to mod that?

Spooniest

There is a similar mod for the game Wolverine on the NES, which adds mercy invincibility when you get hit. Perhaps an examination of that patch by a skilled romhacker could yield the desired results.
Yamero~~!

X Ragnarok

Hey Jonesy47, this is really cool (I actually made this account to post on this thread) and I was wondering if you will actually make the alarm keep going to other screens. Snake's Revenge did it and, correct me if I'm wrong, but the original MSX version did it to, again, I could be wrong there. I think that it'll make things a little harder. Besides that, so far everything looks real good.  :thumbsup:

mrrichard999

Quote from: khaz on August 21, 2015, 06:37:39 PM
A complaint I read about the NES version compared to the MSX is how there is no invulnerability time, blinking time when you get hit. Do you think you would be able to mod that?

I think that would have a major effect when running across that electric heat floor at the very end of the game. No switch to blast with the remote missile.

X Ragnarok

Quote from: mrrichard999 on September 22, 2015, 11:32:37 PM
I think that would have a major effect when running across that electric heat floor at the very end of the game. No switch to blast with the remote missile.
Yeah, the invulnerability time is not a problem. If you have that, everything would be easier.

MathUser2929

The changes look really good. I hope you finish the project cause I like what I see.