News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Metal Gear NES Faithful Edition  (Read 33208 times)

Jonesy47

• View Profile
Metal Gear NES Faithful Edition
« on: May 23, 2015, 09:24:48 pm »
  to 

Ok, so, a lonng time back, I started hacking Metal Gear because it always irked me that there was no metal gear in it. There is only a super computer at the end and it's lame. I went to work and actually accomplaished said task BUT, over the course of a few months, I completely lost all the work I had done (i think i went through a break up or something).

Well, fast forward to today annnnnd, Im hacking Metal Gear again!
This time, I will be aiming to replicate the MSX version as closely as I possibly can using the NES original as a base.
Note: THERE WILL BE COMPROMISES! The palette for the nes is so very limited but I hope i am able to change things in a way that everyone finds pleasing (Feel free to make suggestions as well!)

Here's what I have planned so far on my To-Do list (This may change quite a bit over time)
1. Convert the Title Screen to it's original appearance as closely as possible.
2. Convert the sprites to their original appearances as closely as possible.
3. Change the palettes to those closer to the MSX Metal Gear.
4. Insert Metal Gear into the game.
5. Retranslate the dialogue based on the Metal Gear on the Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence version.

These are things I KNOW I can do.
Now here's goals I have for myself that require me to learn more about how the rom works.
6. Change Twin Shot into the Hind D.
7. Change the map to that of the msx original.
8. Change enemy placements to those of the MSX original.
9. Add animations to certain characters. For instance, as is, snake is missing 1 or 2 running animations.
10. Make the Jet Pack Troopers actually fly.
11. Replace the Iron Glove with the Parachute.
12. Make the Security Cameras detect you.
13. Make the Call signal when someones trying to radio you a custom sprite instead of just normal text.
14. Add Snake's portrait and original radio design back to the radio convos.
15. Add Big Boss's final message in.
16. Add the ladders after the big boss fight in.
17. Add the little cinematic of Snake running away from the mushroom cloud in.
18. Replace the Password system with SRAM support.
19. Perhaps convert the rom to a different mapper so as to have more control over the palettes? This one I'm still a little hazy on...If you know about this, feel free to share your thoughts!

Annnnnnnnd that's all.

I have a lot of work ahead of me but I will update the thread (as well as the Original Post) as I go along. Once I have got those original 5 done, I'll make a release with new releases coming afterwards as I keep getting more of the remaining goals done.
If you have any questions or comments, share them here. I hope I can make something you guys will enjoy!

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 04:14:07 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:16:07 am by Chpexo »

Da_GPer

• View Profile
Re: Metal Gear NES Faithful Edition
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 04:21:25 am »
This would be something Id really keep an eye on as progress is being done. By the way, all I can say so far is that for the title screen, instead of it saying, "Push space key", it should say, "Press start". Good luck on this project. ;D

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 05:50:41 am »
By the way, all I can say so far is that for the title screen, instead of it saying, "Push space key", it should say, "Press start". Good luck on this project. ;D

That was actually the original MSX title screen but here's what I have made so far for the NES version
Original NES, Original MSX and New NES

Also, I have gotten a lot of the item screens done also
Original NES and New NES

And then I also fixed the soldiers as well

Getting the easy stuff outta the way first.

If you're feeling rather crafty, you'll add some sprites on the title screen so you go "go against" the limitations of the background. For examples add sprites so the top of the letters can be gray. If you want to go crazy, you can also rapidly change the palettes  to create the illusion of another color so it matches the MSX version; it's a neat little trick!

Also make sure to add some proof of concept images soon. I'm sure the work you put out will be great!

This, on the other hand, sounds like something I am not familiar with. How exactly would one go about doing either of those things? Point me in the direction and I will attempt it for sure. The color blending sounds like fun. I'd also be VERY interested in using sprites to over come the palette limitations of the NES. Thank you for the suggestions!

Turambar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 01:13:54 pm »
It would be pretty neat if you could make it so that when you walk up to a locked door it checks all of the keys in your inventory to see if you have the right one and then opens automatically instead of making you repeatedly switch keys until you find the right one.

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 01:16:58 pm »
I'm not trying to make any improvements not in the msx original. Not yet at least.

Turambar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 02:48:52 pm »
I attempted to add said improvement a few years ago, but was distracted by other things. Maybe I'll look into it again sometime.

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 03:10:49 pm »
I attempted to add said improvement a few years ago, but was distracted by other things. Maybe I'll look into it again sometime.

Hey dude, if you're more knowledgeable than I am with hacking, I'm more than welcome to accept help here lol. I can basically do simple things like modifications of sprites, palettes, retranslation and placement of background tiles. Past that, I'm kind of clueless.

Here's the big one I really need to figure out how to do: Change the map. If I can do that, I can basically recreate the msx original completely, aside from the hind fight, the big boss ladder thing, the ending stuff, and the parachuting segment but really, without knowing how to modify the map, I'm kinda lost. What I mean by this is basically telling the game what rooms can exit in what directions. Not sure how to do that yet. Am going to have to do lots of experiements and make lots of notes i think.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 06:08:46 pm »
Not sure how helpful this may be but this will convert it from UNROM to MMC3 mapper.

THis was done by Infidelity. http://www.bwass.org/bucket/Metal Gear UNROM to MMC3.rar

Also here is a utility that was done by Snarfblam --> http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/976/

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 11:07:27 pm »
Wasn't the transport from one truck to another thoroughly buggy in the original?

Fixing some of the hit detection (i.e. so an enemy can't practically stomp you to death) might be useful too.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 02:24:46 am »
Not sure how helpful this may be but this will convert it from UNROM to MMC3 mapper.

THis was done by Infidelity. http://www.bwass.org/bucket/Metal Gear UNROM to MMC3.rar

Also here is a utility that was done by Snarfblam --> http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/976/

Hmmm....that first one is interesting...gonna look into that.
and funny story about gear tool. Snarfblam gave that to me way before it was presented to rhdn cuz hes an amazing guy! He saw what i was doing and, though incomplete, gave me the beginnings of a metal gear map editor in a very small amount of time. It's a big reason as to how i was able to locate the room metal gear was inside of in the code of the game. I was planning on doing it again. It makes me wish i knew how to code a lot more than i do...maybe someday. As is, it's a great start of a program for anyone  that ever had the motivation and skill to finish it.

Here's some new pics of the Elevator shaft.
NES

MSX

new NES

It's...not perfect but I tried my best. I think im gonna look into those trick colors chpexo was talkin about.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 02:49:19 am »
All of this stuff is looking a lot better. I look forward to playing this when it's done. I never actually finished this game so when I do it will probably be your version. :)
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 11:44:10 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:09:04 am by Chpexo »

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 04:02:00 pm »
That gray next to the brown in my new version is 2d I believe. Without tricks, 08 (dark brown) and 0C (dark blue) are the darkest colors. At least with the palettes I'm using, 2d and 00 have very little difference at all and is a lighter value than I'd like to use for something supposed to be dark if i absolutely have any other choice.

As far as dynamic palettes go, I do believe metal gear has the capability (snake changes colors when hit) but not only do I have no idea how to do that, I would also prefer this to be playable on real hardware if people choose to do so so I don't really want to induce crazy flickering in CRTs.
Also, as far as the elevator itself goes, its considered a sprite and those palettes are even MORE limiting in this games, usually only having two colors to play with. Would you happens to know what I could read to learn how to change a sprites palette or even add more palettes to the game itself?

Edit: let me clarify. A lot of areas in this game share palettes. Do you know if there is a way to unshare them and use new added palettes or at least choose a different one? I have the feeling I am getting more into the way things work specifically for metal gear tho so Ill probably have to learn this out of research, but if you have any ideas, please, let me know!

EDIT:
I fixed the elveator up just a little more. Still not perfect but I like it.

May 26, 2015, 02:37:41 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
More Pics

Old

New

Old

New

Old

New

Just have to modify the shadows at the bottom of the tanks. Ill do that later on with the Metal Gear transfer.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 02:39:37 am by Jonesy47 »

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 06:24:59 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:09:28 am by Chpexo »

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 10:53:51 am »
Nice pics! :D

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 11:57:33 am »
OH BOI!!!
I am, in a large part, done with my main objectives!

I still have some work to do but I just wanted to share.

Original Metal Gear (MSX version)

NES "Metal Gear"

The Metal Gear I made a while back but lost to the sands of time...

AND THE ALL-NEW AND IMPROVED NES METAL GEAR!!!

His eye no longer blinks and you have to bomb the back wall instead of his feet (the script will be changed to fit) but overall, I'd say its better than just some stupid monster computer monitor.

I got real burnt out brute forcing this with geartool (you wouldnt believe how I went about doing this lol) but I couldnt see the first release being any further than a month off and THIS TIME, I have everything backed up in at least three different places so I'll never lose this progress again! I hope you all enjoy it when it's out!

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 03:30:53 pm »
Looks fantastic! What were they thinking, changing it to fighting a humorously oversized PC? Just for fun I should hack the vanilla NES version to show someone sitting there playing Oregon Trail... :D
Honestly though, the only game in the series I've ever played was Snake's Revenge over a weekend 20 years ago...but I'd like to give this one a shot at some point, and I'll definitely go with your version.

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 03:36:58 pm »
I am so glad to see this happen :D Thought this project was dead in the water from the old posts. Great work!

jimstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 12:10:28 pm »
Oh my god yes! i never thought i would ever see Metal Gear in the NES version.