Ok, so, a lonng time back, I started hacking Metal Gear because it always irked me that there was no metal gear in it. There is only a super computer at the end and it's lame. I went to work and actually accomplaished said task BUT, over the course of a few months, I completely lost all the work I had done (i think i went through a break up or something).
Well, fast forward to today annnnnd, Im hacking Metal Gear again!
This time, I will be aiming to replicate the MSX version as closely as I possibly can using the NES original as a base.
Note: THERE WILL BE COMPROMISES! The palette for the nes is so very limited but I hope i am able to change things in a way that everyone finds pleasing (Feel free to make suggestions as well!)
Here's what I have planned so far on my To-Do list (This may change quite a bit over time)
1. Convert the Title Screen to it's original appearance as closely as possible.
2. Convert the sprites to their original appearances as closely as possible.
3. Change the palettes to those closer to the MSX Metal Gear.
4. Insert Metal Gear into the game.
5. Retranslate the dialogue based on the Metal Gear on the Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence version.
These are things I KNOW I can do.
Now here's goals I have for myself that require me to learn more about how the rom works.
6. Change Twin Shot into the Hind D.
7. Change the map to that of the msx original.
8. Change enemy placements to those of the MSX original.
9. Add animations to certain characters. For instance, as is, snake is missing 1 or 2 running animations.
10. Make the Jet Pack Troopers actually fly.
11. Replace the Iron Glove with the Parachute.
12. Make the Security Cameras detect you.
13. Make the Call signal when someones trying to radio you a custom sprite instead of just normal text.
14. Add Snake's portrait and original radio design back to the radio convos.
15. Add Big Boss's final message in.
16. Add the ladders after the big boss fight in.
17. Add the little cinematic of Snake running away from the mushroom cloud in.
18. Replace the Password system with SRAM support.
19. Perhaps convert the rom to a different mapper so as to have more control over the palettes? This one I'm still a little hazy on...If you know about this, feel free to share your thoughts!
Annnnnnnnd that's all.
I have a lot of work ahead of me but I will update the thread (as well as the Original Post) as I go along. Once I have got those original 5 done, I'll make a release with new releases coming afterwards as I keep getting more of the remaining goals done.
If you have any questions or comments, share them here. I hope I can make something you guys will enjoy!