News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy III (NES/ Famicom) GBA Hack  (Read 10889 times)

Spindaboy

• View Profile
    • SyndROMe Hacking
Final Fantasy III (NES/ Famicom) GBA Hack
« on: May 22, 2015, 10:42:45 pm »
I'm looking for some GBA ROM hackers that are avid fans of the original Final Fantasy 3. Not Final Fantasy 6! Any FF fan knows that the remake releases for the GBA included 1&2 Dawn of Souls, 4 Advance, 5 Advance, and 6 Advance. The best entry in the series just hasn't received enough love!

Using the base sprites from FFRK, the music remastered (or original), the dialogue from the DS version, the ROM of an  advance remake, and the knowledge of the community, I believe we can make a fan version of FF3 Advance.  ;)

Let me know if you are interested and what skills you have. Post here or email nberger99@gmail.com  :) Happy hacking!

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy III (NES/ Famicom) GBA Hack
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 12:18:41 am »
I don't intend to offend or incense you, but this is not how you do it.

First off, I don't even know what FFRK stands for or is. Second of all, you're talking about buidling a game engine basically from the ground up on a system that was made after the Super Nintendo and forgive me, but this sounds like a metric butt load of work...

:( I don't mean to quash your enthusiasm, enthusiasm is a good thing. But remember that hacking is basically just game programming from a reverse engineering standpoint. You have homework to do, I say.

It's not that I think it's a bad idea, just...read up on some documentation. And download WindHex from Utilities...just trust me.
Yamero~~!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 12:30:45 am »
First off, I don't even know what FFRK stands for or is. Second of all, you're talking about buidling a game engine basically from the ground up on a system that was made after the Super Nintendo and forgive me, but this sounds like a metric butt load of work...

I took it more as he was wanting to hack one of the GBA remakes (presumably FFV) into a GBA version of FFIII since one does not exist.

I seem to be good with sprites but I'm busy with Zelda stuff at the moment. It's nice to see another hacker from KY though. :) At least you live in a big city, I live in the middle of nowhere: Ohio County.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Spindaboy

• View Profile
    • SyndROMe Hacking
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 08:46:07 am »

First off, I don't even know what FFRK stands for or is.

Final Fantasy Record Keeper? It's an app for iOS/ Android that features battles from FF I-XIII. The sprites used reflect those of the GBA games. Also, I am new to the community; that is why I came for help. It would be greatly appreciated if you could aid in this project.
Spoony bard  ;)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 10:41:42 am »
I don't think this quite qualifies as a project and there's very much a "do it yourself" attitude around here.

Plus, my hacking skills are limited at best. I'm a better bard than a romhacker actually. :/

I'll be happy to play test anything you come up with though.
Yamero~~!

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 03:42:46 pm »
I wish you the best of luck with your FF3A project! Sadly I can't offer you much in the way of help (my only experience in romhacking is using FF4kster for  FF4 Snes and graphics editing).

Perhaps in the near future I might be experienced enough to at least help out with some graphics (ironically enough, I'm trying to edit Edward into a Red Mage in YY CHR using an FF1 &2 DoS spritesheet for reference as I type this).

Like I said in the other thread, if this were based off FF4 Snes I'd gladly remake some of the maps since it's been something I've been dying to mess with (as well as doing some FFL3 maps for fun), but I understand your choice in the matter.

Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 04:14:52 pm »
If I were to do this, I'd use ff5 GBA as a base since it already uses the job system. Just a suggestion.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 07:27:39 pm »
If I were to do this, I'd use ff5 GBA as a base since it already uses the job system. Just a suggestion.

Jonesy47's got a point. FF5a would make a great base for a project like this seeing as both games share a good number of the same jobs.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 02:25:31 pm »
FFV is not as popular with myself as it is with a lot of other Final Fantasy enthusiasts, but it certainly seems like the best basis for what you're proposing. You'd have to change it so that the 4 main characters looked the same, unless you're thinking of using the character bases from the 3d remakes, but it certainly seems possible. I might be willing to help out with some sprite editing for this, but it will have to be after a few weeks so I can wrap up my own project. Good luck with all of this. I highly recommend looking through the RHDN documentation and on Google to find as much info as you can. Romhacking is not something that you'll excel at from the beginning, I know from experience.
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/DevilHunterMiyumi/

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 05:53:44 pm »
The biggest problem I see here is...
Is there any info, tool(s), or whatever which allows you to edit the game's (best bet FF5a) maps and events?
No? Then there is no hope.

This would be a great project if there was the chance to actually edit these two things, along with text (easy).

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 05:17:18 pm »
You could always try checking out Slick, there's an FF5 R&D forum there. It might have some info on FF5a, even though I believe it's geared more towards the SNES version.