ROM Hacks: [NES] Final Fantasy III Maeson Mix 1.0 Released!

Started by RHDNBot, May 18, 2015, 08:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: Maeson

This is a small project that attempts to give a breath of fresh air to the original Final Fantasy III by making numerous changes to different aspects related to the gameplay of this title.

Magic isn't wasting your time now.
Classes like Bard, Scholar, or Hunter have access to many more pieces of equipment to become a useful member of the party all throughout the game.
You can go hunt monsters in search of weapons and armor, or the originally very scarce FenixDowns, something that the original game never did.

There's also the possibility to choose which aspects of the hack you want and use only those, or give the game a new "coat of paint" here and there, if you wish!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (mailto:maeson@hotmail.es)

Kea

Wow, I like the look of this! I'm glad to see that my work on FF3's Data Crystal page was helpful to somebody, and that they managed to figure out how the Steal/Drop tables work.

90s Retro Gamer

I've read that Final Fantasy III is VERY DIFFICULT, more so than Final Fantasy V. Maybe this patch will make it more playable ala the Mother/Earthbound 0 patches. In any case, I like that it makes the graphics more "SNES"-like.

PS: In the screenshot..."Mahboi"? "Pingas"? LoL too funny.  ::)

Maeson

Quote from: Kea on May 19, 2015, 01:02:17 PM
Wow, I like the look of this! I'm glad to see that my work on FF3's Data Crystal page was helpful to somebody, and that they managed to figure out how the Steal/Drop tables work.

Yeah, I owe you all. Without your previous information this wouldn't exist. So, Thank You, you were so helpful...

Quote from: 90s Retro Gamer on May 20, 2015, 12:24:55 AM
I've read that Final Fantasy III is VERY DIFFICULT, more so than Final Fantasy V. Maybe this patch will make it more playable ala the Mother/Earthbound 0 patches. In any case, I like that it makes the graphics more "SNES"-like.

Yes, the original game is somewhat difficult. The last bosses are cheap as hell in some cases too. But with this you at least have a way of defending, and you don't feel as weak as the classes and their equipment are stronger than before. You can get your ass kicked if you're not careful with bosses, but not as much as in the vanilla game.

About the names... I usually don't give normal names to FF1/3 characters. One time i was competing with a friend about who could beat FF1 first, and because I didn't want to waste time thinking names I just put whatever it crossed my mind. After that, it was like a tradition.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

mrrichard999

SageOwl

Quote from: 90s Retro Gamer on May 20, 2015, 12:24:55 AM

In some spots, yes, it is flippin' difficult (like the dungeon you have to walk through while mini'd). Like all 8 bit, and some 16 bit, RPGs you will have to grind at some point, and if you do with the right party in this game, then you are a ok.
Fortunately, unlike Mother, the end monsters aren't ridiculously overpowered super beings that you will more than likely just run away from.
I'd wager Final Fantasy 4, or even 2 for the annoying leveling system, to be harder than this game.
At least when you assign all of your guys' attacks to one enemy and it dies they don't attack the air. I'd love to see that implemented into the first two games if that were even possible.

elmontro42

I apologize for my attempt at reviving such an old post, but I cannot find a topic to place my very small question. I don't see a reason to open a new topic if it may be missed so I rather take a chance and put it here.

Okay the actual Question.
I know you added the dummied items eg. Dream Harp. So I was wondering did you also add the Dummied monsters like the goblin counterparts? I believe that dragon in the screen you posted doesn't normally appear in the game or does it???