News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV: A Threat from Within (Demo v0.7.0 available)  (Read 23962 times)

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
I really like the Chocobo race proof of concept.  :thumbsup:

I kinda disagree with your FFVI statement. It is very possible to make a total new game with the FF3us ROM. A lot of data can be expanded (monsters, items, maps space, songs), new abilities can be created and you can reuse a lot of event bits for different purposes. Why does most people making a FFVI mod stick to the original story and engine? I dunno, maybe because of the amount of tools and documentation available makes it easier for newbies to mod the game, hence resulting in less impressive mods.

There's a few exceptions out there. Pandora's Box, BNW and ROTDS are quite impressive in different aspects. Maybe you meant FFIV engine could be more improved than its FFVI counterpart and while I don't know much about FFIV, I assume this is probably true.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
I really like the Chocobo race proof of concept.  :thumbsup:

Thanks!

I kinda disagree with your FFVI statement. It is very possible to make a total new game with the FF3us ROM. A lot of data can be expanded (monsters, items, maps space, songs), new abilities can be created and you can reuse a lot of event bits for different purposes. Why does most people making a FFVI mod stick to the original story and engine? I dunno, maybe because of the amount of tools and documentation available makes it easier for newbies to mod the game, hence resulting in less impressive mods.

There's a few exceptions out there. Pandora's Box, BNW and ROTDS are quite impressive in different aspects. Maybe you meant FFIV engine could be more improved than its FFVI counterpart and while I don't know much about FFIV, I assume this is probably true.
Yes, that's definitely a better way of putting what I was trying to say. I definitely didn't mean to trivialize what you do as a ffvi modder.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Tivo6

• View Profile
hey chilly

when is your next update to this mod

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Oh, hey.
I've been at work on it still, I was going to try to get some more done before posting another update here, but since you asked...
Version 0.5.1b
I'm not sure it will have 100% compatibility with your previous save, so I'm sorry if you have to start over.
This update will take you on the beginning of the next mission, where you'll go to Baron and Mist.
You'll get Rydia and Ceodor in your party and have the option to hire a dragoon.
The chocobo time trials are available at the very end, but they're kind of secret, so it'll take some digging to find them.
As always, I'm interested in hearing any feedback.

Latest Demo

Tivo6

• View Profile
hey chilly

how much longer until this mod is completed from start to finish

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Long.
The intention is for this to be a full and complete game. Maybe not quite as long to complete as a typical Final Fantasy title, but close, anyway.
So, basic completion would probably take around 30 hours, maybe.
Right now I can run through what's done in about 1 1/2 hours, and I've been working on actual story progression for about two years.
So, you know, maybe by 2055?
 :crazy:

Latest Demo

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV: A Threat from Within (Demo v0.6.0 available)
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2016, 02:59:53 pm »
So here's the update as I originally had intended on posting it.
Final Fantasy IV: A Threat from Within (v 0.6.0)

There have been a lot of balance adjustments since I made the previous version, plus the Highwind Pass dungeon, a new snowy mountain dungeon that connects Baron to the Kaipo desert, is now complete.

Screenies of some fun features...

Hiring Dragoons in Baron Town:

Convincing Prince Ceodore to join the party:

Chocobo Time Trials!

The Highwind Pass:

As ever, feedback including criticism is greatly appreciated!

Latest Demo

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2016, 06:04:50 pm »
The going is slow, but I'm still constantly working on this project.

If you happened to have downloaded the most recent demo release, I've fixed a good deal of bugs that were present there... No more releases without extensive play testing. Promise.

Anyway, I don't have another playable update yet, but I made this video of a prototype of the Octomammoth battle, which will likely be at the end of the next demo:
Octomamm!

Latest Demo

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2016, 06:33:55 pm »
Cool. Looks like it could be a fun battle.

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2016, 03:06:21 pm »
Oh man I gotta give this hack a spin, after playing some Return of The Dark Sorcerer and poking at some Final Fantasy hacking for the NES myself, I wanna play another FF hack. I know it's a demo but who cares? It looks pretty cool, well here I go... 8)   

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2016, 04:23:53 pm »
Oh man I gotta give this hack a spin, after playing some Return of The Dark Sorcerer and poking at some Final Fantasy hacking for the NES myself, I wanna play another FF hack. I know it's a demo but who cares? It looks pretty cool, well here I go... 8)   
Unfortunately, you're gonna see some monsters exhibit some odd behaviors.
I rushed the most recent demo to market a bit.
Specifically, the "If only monster left" condition got mixed up with the "If charmed" condition in enemy AI, so there are a bunch if monsters that behave as though they're charmed when there are no other monsters on the field.  :-\
Still, you should be able to get a pretty good idea of where I'm going with things by playing it.
I'd welcome (READ: "am starving for") any feedback.

Latest Demo

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV: A Threat from Within (Demo v0.7.0 available)
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2016, 06:05:55 pm »
Next "episode" available now!

Final Fantasy IV: A Threat from Within v0.7.0

As usual, apply the patch to a clean, unheadered copy if FFIIUS v1.1.

Not much story progression happens here, but there's a new town (Kaipo), a new dungeon (The Watery Pass), a new boss (Octomamm) and a new sidequest (Cactuar hunting).

Some screenies...

The Kaipo Bard School

Cactuar Sidequest

Battling Octomamm

Feedback is always appreciated!

Latest Demo

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2016, 05:59:03 am »
Oh this looks so cool, and so ambitious! I'm really impressed with the level of detail going into this. If I can make one tiny suggestion, Quick Hit doesn't really seem to convey all the effects the skill has. I'd like to suggest a name change. I was thinking something like, 'Rend Time' personally. That conveys the global haste/slow statuses pretty well I'd say.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2016, 10:07:15 pm »
Oh this looks so cool, and so ambitious! I'm really impressed with the level of detail going into this. If I can make one tiny suggestion, Quick Hit doesn't really seem to convey all the effects the skill has. I'd like to suggest a name change. I was thinking something like, 'Rend Time' personally. That conveys the global haste/slow statuses pretty well I'd say.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement!
That's a good suggestion. As it stands, Furio and the ninja's Limit skill actually is never named in-game. It also looks indistinguishable from a regular attack. I've taken some suggestions about what to do about that as well. Suffice it to say that that particular detail is not finalized, but when it is, I will probably take your suggestion and ditch "quick hit."

Latest Demo

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2016, 03:46:52 pm »
I've started playing this and it seems pretty great so far. I'm about to go on the second mission from Mysidia and I have a couple of noob questions about the hirelings; if I go back to Eblan and grab that second job card from the chest, can I hire two of them then, and does grabbing that one have some serious negative consequence? Can I fire the ninja in mysidia somehow and get back my job card there?

Question about chocobo catching: Can I lure them to me somehow (like with the Siren item) or make them stay longer? Don't think I've encountered any greens/carrots so far.

I also noticed what seems like a minor mistake with the dialogue: In the island town shop, if you don't have enough money for an item the shopkeep says "you don't have enough GP" but also "Well, goodbye then" or something to that extent.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 04:06:40 pm by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2016, 05:43:39 pm »
You can only hire one hireling at a time, so hiring a mage in mysidia means dismissing your ninja. They can be re-hired, but their stats are reset (like you are hiring a different person... Who just happens to have the same name ;) ). You get to keep a dismissed mage's "spell book" though, so they come back with the same spells learned.

As for chocobos, there's nothing you can do at this stage of the game to make them easier to catch. They are more plentiful in forests than any other terrain, but they show up with "Old Trees," which have a lot of HP. When you inevitably get Palom in your party, one party-cast fire2 should do the trick - chocobos are immune to magic, so it won't get hit. Keep Palom in the center spot so he gets the first turn. Later in the game... Much later in the game, catching a chocobo will be required, but you'll have a character in your party (Kella, if you've read the OP) who is guaranteed to catch a chocobo if she attacks it with a whip.

I'll have to look into that shop issue, that's the first I've heard of it, so good catch. Thanks!

Thanks also for the feedback, I can't overstate how much it helps to have people actually play the game :)

Latest Demo

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV: A Threat from Within (Damcyan Quakes Video)
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2016, 06:19:28 pm »
So if you've been following the game's story so far, then you know that Furio and crew are enroute to Damcyan to protect it from Titan. So, along the lines of the random lightning flashes in Mysidia, I rigged random earthquakes into the vicinity of Damcyan.
The quakes will only trigger when you're in the general vicinity of Damcyan, as well as within Damcyan Castle, the Antlion Cave, and the west station of Mt. Hobbs. And of course they're flag-dependent, so once Titan is defeated they'll stop.
The video also offers a sneak peak of the repairs and renovations I made to Damcyan castle.
Enjoy.
https://youtu.be/btZbuXTm0x4

Latest Demo

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2016, 06:46:55 pm »
I wish you all the best with your project, but may I suggest this? Wouldn't it be better to use the new modern RPG makers to do something ambitious as this? It will allow you more flexibility in a lot of ways, and less headaches. FF fan stories are currently thriving on them, and have done really well.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2016, 08:44:34 pm »
That kinda feels like a backhanded well-wish.
Also, my answer to your suggestion is a pretty solid "no."
I've never used an RPG maker, so trying to make a game with one would be no easier than trying to make a game out of the engine of an existing one, as doing so would require learning how to use a new program with a considerable degree of expertise. Furthermore, pinkpuff's FF4kster makes most basic edits in FFIV (text, monster stats and AI, maps...) quite a breeze, and seeing as this is a sequel to the base game, using the base game as a starting point allows me to avoid the tedium of completely recreating many of the maps, so the idea that an RPG maker would make this task any easier is pretty unfounded. And by using the original game, I can avoid worrying about whether I'm accurately recreating the feel of the original.
And all of the above is sort of irrelevant. The biggest reason I would never use an RPG maker is that this is a ROM hack. A great deal of the enjoyment I get out of making it is the manipulation of the original game, including exploration and discovery of the inner workings of both FFIV and SNES. I honestly have no idea how many people will actually take the time to play my creation when it's finished, and quite frankly, the answer to that question doesn't matter much. The enjoyment I get out of this is the creation.
 :thumbsup:

Latest Demo

bleedingapathy

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2016, 07:03:51 am »
I don't know if this is a bug or not but the main character and the first merc you get have a rather lousey hit rate for throwing darts/shurikins. It seems to be around 45% chance to hit and 55% miss.