News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy 7 - Retranslation Project (PSX)  (Read 225113 times)

A_Rightsider

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy 7 - Retranslation Project (PSX)
« Reply #360 on: November 19, 2019, 01:30:22 am »
Hi

What files am I supposed to drag to create the patch?

trostboot

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 20, 2019, 07:41:31 am »
Wrong tab. You want to apply the patch, not create one.

In the apply patch tab, "patch" is where a patch file goes, "source file" is the corresponding original FF7 disc image, and "output file" is where you want the patched disc image to be.

Green_goblin

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 21, 2019, 06:13:07 am »
Now R06 is ready but the retranslation is not yet. That will be part of R07, and only then I will work on the new PSX patch. See this document to check what is being done: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jcnXS15WprRsqaVQ_HFwZSaz_XV-H39Yru_GRpkUT0w/edit#gid=44134831

Regards

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 29, 2019, 12:47:14 am »
I'm just curious. Does this project update the game's terminologies to their Modern-Canonical-English equivalents?

Ex: Fire, Fira, Figa < Fire1, Fire2, Fire3 < Fire, Fira, Firaga.

If that's the case Last Elixir was supposed to be Megalixir the whole time. Check Wikipedia of you don't believe me.

Edit: On 2nd thought, disregard what I just posted, I didn't know about the Canon-Addendum patch that Burnt Lasagna may or may not be working on until now. >.<

November 30, 2019, 06:51:45 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
But if I may be so bold,

would it be okay if you also made a Square-Enix Continuity Addendum Patch for the project?

It's just that, it's been a while since Burnt Lasagna has posted anything, and I'm worried, that his project may be kaputt.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 06:56:58 pm by 91-MPH »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 02, 2019, 12:10:18 pm »
IIRC Burnt Lasagna never died or anything, it's already been mentioned earlier in his thread that the patch is waiting for the next update.

We all have lapses of not logging in, it's the nature of forums in the age of Discord and the like.

theflamecrow

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 14, 2019, 06:16:55 pm »
Currently running on a hackedish  PS3, only bug I've run into is that one Shin-ra enemy. That's also how far I am in my current playthrough.

AwesomeHairo

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 25, 2019, 10:22:31 am »
Maybe someone addressed this, but as I was trying this retranslation out (LOVED the proper magic names), my heart stopped when I saw, "Phoenix Tail" and said, "wtf?"

Yes, I know it's the Japanese name for Phoenix Down, but can we be consistent with the proper item names that are still used to this day? I'm betting this isn't the only awkward "change".

Actually, upon further investigating, a lot of item names are inconsistent with the rest of the modern official translation of the series (said to start from FFVIII because that's when the character limit increased for items and magic names)

ボムの右腕 is actually better translated as Bomb Crank, which is an item since FFIII.

万能薬 has always been Remedy since they translated FFI (since Origins?). This isn't Chrono Trigger; why is it named Panacea?

ラストエリクサー is another change name to Megalixer that just becomes a staple. It's the official English name of the item and should be used in this retranslation.

Please consider changing them, or give me the tools to change them.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 10:36:03 am by AwesomeHairo »

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 25, 2019, 08:47:56 pm »
This is a port of the "purist" retranslation for the PC version. There's supposed to be a downstream fork of this that puts the canon terminology back in the PSX ISO, the "Canon Addendum", you (and I) gotta wait for that one.

zfreeman

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 25, 2019, 08:50:28 pm »

AwesomeHairo

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 26, 2019, 12:08:05 am »
Thanks, although I wish the his two patch links would work again so I can at least used those. Anyone in close contact with him can let him know I'm willing to pay to get those patches? I rather play the vanilla FFVII than the 'purist' re-translation.

Green_goblin

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 29, 2020, 10:47:09 am »
Hi all,

I am not dead, in fact I have been working and improving a workflow to insert the new translation into the PSX. Most of the errors and bugs you reported were caused because I was using old and bad tools, but now I use Cebix Tools which are excellent and the resulting ISOs will work on real hardware.

That being said, I am planning to create new patches which will include some nice and new options, like:

Beacause
   Beacause + Chicago font
   Beacause + Hard Mode
   Beacause + Chicago font + Hard Mode

Beacause Canon Addendum
   Beacause Canon Addendum + Chicago font
   Beacause Canon Addendum + Hard Mode
   Beacause Canon Addendum + Chicago font + Hard Mode

That will imply a lot of work from my side, but I will try my best. It looks like Burnt Lasagna is not active so I will take care of the Canon Addendum from now on. The Chicago font is not an important update, but I really like this font and it's like playing a new game:

Regarding the Hard Mode, I will use this hack from GalenMyra, who is also inactive but the patch is there and I will implement it to offer a new and challenging playing mode.

What do you think?

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 29, 2020, 11:04:25 am »
Hi all,

I am not dead, in fact I have been working and improving a workflow to insert the new translation into the PSX. Most of the errors and bugs you reported were caused because I was using old and bad tools, but now I use Cebix Tools which are excellent and the resulting ISOs will work on real hardware.

That being said, I am planning to create new patches which will include some nice and new options, like:

Beacause
   Beacause + Chicago font
   Beacause + Hard Mode

Beacause Canon Addendum

That will imply a lot of work from my side, but I will try my best. It looks like Burnt Lasagna is not active so I will take care of the Canon Addendum from now on. The Chicago font is not an important update, but I really like this font and it's like playing a new game:

Regarding the Hard Mode, I will use this hack from GalenMyra, who is also inactive but the patch is there and I will implement it to offer a new and challenging playing mode.

What do you think?

Awesome all around. I really like that Chicago font and the fact you are making sure the Canon addendum is part of the project makes me a happy camper! Can't wait to try them out!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 29, 2020, 02:00:55 pm »
That's pretty cool!  I know a lot were asking about the canon addendum, so it's nice to see it folded in.  I'm very happy with this prospect myself.

CasualChris

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 29, 2020, 02:56:07 pm »
Great news. I'm very much looking forward to playing through this game for the very first time with this new translation!

saldite

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 30, 2020, 01:23:46 pm »
That Chicago font is some cool stuff.  :thumbsup:

LivingfortheNight

• View Profile
« Reply #375 on: March 30, 2020, 02:39:19 pm »
yessss on hard mode!!!

DragonArk

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 30, 2020, 06:29:35 pm »

Yeah I like the font too, it actually looks like the font used in Secret of Mana

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 31, 2020, 10:25:34 pm »
Hi all,

Beacause
   Beacause + Chicago font
   Beacause + Hard Mode

Beacause Canon Addendum

What do you think?
Totally loving the font.

I downloaded R04 yesterday, i am gonna give it a spin and finish the game, for the first time. Looks like it will be a long while until the next PSX version, i am eager to us the newest plus the canon addendum. Thanks for your work!

cold_spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 08, 2020, 02:02:03 am »
Glad to hear you're still planning updates for this project. Thanks for all your hard work!

cookieflips

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 08, 2020, 02:57:05 pm »
I'm really looking forward to any release you have for this! I've been faithfully following your updates for a while and at this point, you're my only hope for playing my favourite version of the game.