News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: [PSX] Final Fantasy VII - Retranslation Project (R06g)  (Read 344151 times)

cry0this

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy 7 - Retranslation Project (PSX)
« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2016, 03:37:00 pm »
Please use ECCRegen to fix the ISOs and let me know what happens:

http://eccregen.software.informer.com/1.4/
Hey, seems it's working!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:59:07 pm by cry0this »

KlooKloo

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2016, 08:07:07 pm »
Hmmmm... My hashes are all correct and everything, but Disc 3 before and after the patch are the exact same size (though the hashes do change after).

Is this supposed to happen?

Green_goblin

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2016, 06:38:07 am »
Hmmmm... My hashes are all correct and everything, but Disc 3 before and after the patch are the exact same size (though the hashes do change after).

Is this supposed to happen?

Yes, for some strange reason disc 3 have the same size before and after the patch.

Regards

SirLittleTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2016, 11:41:21 am »
Yes, for some strange reason disc 3 have the same size before and after the patch.

Regards

It's the last disc so maybe it's padded with lots of 0s that are replaced with the re-translation patch. I don't really know, I'm talking out of my ass. But I have a question - I was battling in battle square in Gold Saucer and noticed that the characters sometimes do 5-digit damage. Just now Cloud did 17k damage with one hit with the Braver limit. Is this something that comes with the re-translation patch or is it a bug? I've been trying to find out if this is a feature in the changes list on qhimm forum but I can't find it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 02:46:02 am by SirLittleTurd »

Green_goblin

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 02, 2016, 11:44:42 am »
It's the last disc so maybe it's padded with lots of 0s that are replaced with the re-translation patch. I don't really know, I'm talking out of my ass. But I have a question - I was battling in battle square in Gold Saucer and noticed that the characters sometimes do 5-digit damage. Just know Cloud did 17k damage with one hit with the Braver limit. Is this something that comes with the re-translation patch or is it a bug? I've been trying to find out if this is a feature in the changes list on qhimm forum but I can't find it.

Some time ago we decided that the 9999 damage limit was a bug itself and we fixed it, now the damage limit is 65000.

SirLittleTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 02, 2016, 12:38:41 pm »
Some time ago we decided that the 9999 damage limit was a bug itself and we fixed it, now the damage limit is 65000.

Thanks for the quick reply. I noticed one other thing in battle square. The BP gained can't be shown as a 5 digit number after the battles. The dialogue window seems to drop the 5th digit because when it finally shows the Total BP, the sum is correct with a 5 digit number. So the calculations seem to be right but the 5th digit of BP gained is just not shown in the window.

EDIT: One more thing - The window also drops the 5th digit for GP (Gold Saucer currency) when you approach the lady behind counter to enter battle. I have 10,000 GP (cheating obviously) but it shows 1,000. Maybe the game isn't supposed to let you have more than 9,999 GP...

Green_goblin

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 02, 2016, 01:05:06 pm »
The BP gained can't be shown as a 5 digit number after the battles.

Can you please upload an screenshot of this problem?

SirLittleTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 02, 2016, 01:20:41 pm »
Can you please upload an screenshot of this problem?

It's a bad example because it's difficult for me to get 10k points but imagine I gained 82,650 BP after this battle and all we can see are the first 4 digits, i.e., 8,265.

Green_goblin

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 02, 2016, 01:21:57 pm »
Thanks. It looks like a window resize problem.
Will fix that in the next release.

cry0this

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 05, 2016, 08:22:42 pm »
There is black screen again when entering Junon (on 2nd disk)  :-\

Green_goblin

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 06, 2016, 07:12:46 am »
There is black screen again when entering Junon (on 2nd disk)  :-\

Have you fixed CD2 with ECC-Regen?
I'm really tired of this game, bugs never end  :banghead:

DLPB

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 08, 2016, 01:45:43 pm »

Not sure who told you that, but it's definitely not true.  The 9999 limit has been deliberately programmed into the original game. Not to mention the battle menu is clearly designed for 4 digits and not 5.

RyanfaeScotland

• View Profile
    • My Brill Game Site
« Reply #193 on: February 08, 2016, 05:20:54 pm »
CUE told me that it's a bug: http://romxhack.esforos.com/hacer-y-mostrar-dano-superior-a-9999-en-ff7-de-psx-t726?sid=7f495c8023f431a39e66cef9d9f5e6cc

I don't know if it's a bug or not, but I like the possibility of making more damage than 9999.

Very last post there is CUE saying it isn't a bug. :)

Pretty cool none the less and I like the overflow glitch as well.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 09, 2016, 11:17:31 am »
Green_Goblin, when using ECC-Regen did you set it to "Secure Mode" and "Fix mode 2 form 2 sectors"?
I ask this because ECC-Regen found (and fixes) bad form 2 sectors when scanning with these options.

Also, can people upload their save files for when they find a crash? I'd like to troubleshoot the issues but I have no fast way of testing.

SmashManiac

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 20, 2016, 08:52:30 pm »
I'm happy to see that this project continues to get some love! However, I would like to be able to customize my experience just like DLPB's installer does for the PC version. Is there a step-by-step guide that I could follow to do so? Is it as simple as applying the disc extension patch, overwriting a couple of files (which ones?) from the patched PC version and fixing the discs sectors using CCRegen?

Wait, I thought this was a re-translation hack? Why does it contain a gameplay bugfix that can be strongly argued to actually break an intended feature? Are there other non-dialog stuff included too?

Green_goblin

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 21, 2016, 05:55:23 am »
I'm happy to see that this project continues to get some love! However, I would like to be able to customize my experience just like DLPB's installer does for the PC version. Is there a step-by-step guide that I could follow to do so? Is it as simple as applying the disc extension patch, overwriting a couple of files (which ones?) from the patched PC version and fixing the discs sectors using CCRegen?

Wait, I thought this was a re-translation hack? Why does it contain a gameplay bugfix that can be strongly argued to actually break an intended feature? Are there other non-dialog stuff included too?

The PC game is easy to customize, the PSX game is not. You have to use several software to modify the different files and then insert them into the CD image. Cebix tools, Hack7, Makou Reactor, PSX-mode2, etc. It's a nightmare. As far as I know there is no guide for this.

It's a retranslation patch, but we also fixed some bugs (spitit defense bug, infinite elixir bug, doble item bug, etc etc etc).

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 24, 2016, 03:30:11 pm »
The PC game is easy to customize, the PSX game is not. You have to use several software to modify the different files and then insert them into the CD image. Cebix tools, Hack7, Makou Reactor, PSX-mode2, etc. It's a nightmare. As far as I know there is no guide for this.
I agree with this.  While it is possible to make a patch that is kinda-sorta-modular, it takes a lot of work to do (maintaining many patches at once for one single project takes a lot of juggling in the first place, trust me on this) and you'd have to have that idea from the get-go with a text project such as this.  The only case I've personally seen this be done with ISOs is the batch of Suikoden II bugfixes.

DLPB

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 26, 2016, 01:53:41 pm »
I was also ok with this using the canon names (for the big characters only) given how it can't be customized.  But that's the choice of Green_Goblin.  I prefer the correct names, but I am in a minority.  Of all the names, I guess I just don't like Leno :P That's the only change from the original I don't like.  But...  I didn't name them  ;D

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 26, 2016, 03:00:30 pm »
Hey GreenGoblin, did you ever run "fixup" from the FF7 tool-chain on the finished ISOs?
https://github.com/cebix/ff7tools
* fixup
   Recalculate absolute sector references to files in a CD image of the
   game.
It sounds like it should fix the issue with crashing.
I tried to run it myself but it depends on PSXImager to run, which is Linux only (I tried also running it on a Linux Mint VM but it keeps complaining about not finding PSXInject despite a compiled binary being in the folder).