[PSX] Final Fantasy VII - Retranslation Project (R06g)

Started by Green_goblin, May 10, 2015, 05:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonesy


Badore90

However, I solved with Makou Reactor... The Windows don't resize, but there's the new page command that allow to extend the dialogs endlessly...

KingMike

Quote from: Isao Kronos on November 08, 2015, 12:24:56 PM
does it really matter when she dies anyways
Like all of us at some point. Our names must not be important. :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Spooniest

Aeris is an anagram for "raise" in its bowdlerized version, and an anagram for "I, earth" in its original romanization.

She's a messianic figure, the whole point of the game is that she's still alive in the lifestream. Like Sephiroth, her consciousness is too powerful to be diffused into it.

And you thought she was dead.
Yamero~~!

Bonesy


obscurumlux01

This reminds me of the FFIV Parom/Polom twins situation.  They are both turned to stone by their own will and thus a Golden Needle (remove stone) item does NOT work on them.

In a similar vein, I'd see that Aeris/Aerith died of her own volition and willingly sacrificed herself for the greater good of the planet.  It might have been useful/helpful to have a situation prior to the CGI cutscene (or even part of it) where Cloud or another party member tries to use Phoenix Downs, cast Life/Revive, etc and then shakes their head as it does not work at all.

Or perhaps have it as part of gameplay (a brief playable part where you can move around and interact with things) right before the 'water burial' CGI cutscene plays where Cloud picks her up and moves her over to the rest of the party and tries the Phoenix Down/Revive/Heal/whatever and gets the message that 'she has chosen this path and cannot be revived'.

There was an amusing Game Theory episode on the Aeris/Aerith not really being dead but paralyzed and Cloud is the one who 'killed' her by mistaking her paralysis for actual death.

Back in 1997 when I played FF7 and she died I wasn't sad at all.  'Good riddance to that useless stupid hippie healer girl, now I can replace her with a better party member'.  Of course I was still in high school at the time and I hadn't experienced *real* sadness (Phantasy Star II Nei's death) or battled with the emotional complexities of death.  It was a video game so I just treated it like a video game thing.  No big deal.

As far as effectiveness in battle, Aeris/Aerith is completely useless for the most part.  Her Limit Breaks are semi-helpful but completely outclassed by stuff like the Blue Magic (Enemy Magic) abilities.  Her Level 4 limit is useful but the game itself is already so easy that such a thing doesn't even help after a certain point.

Badore90

I can't apply the patch... the image size is correct but it Always says error...

Bobolicious81

Quote from: Spooniest on November 09, 2015, 10:11:36 AM
Aeris is an anagram for "raise" in its bowdlerized version, and an anagram for "I, earth" in its original romanization.

All that is irrelevant to me because on my file I named her FencePost.
This is an anagram for "stop cefen" (stop seven?)
She obviously wants us to sabotage the PS4 remake.

Badore90

"The reactors are slowly
            drainin' away the planet's life.
            An' one day... That'll be that."

I've never read this expression (that'll be that) before... what means??

Green_goblin

Quote from: Badore90 on November 17, 2015, 02:47:58 PM
"The reactors are slowly
            drainin' away the planet's life.
            An' one day... That'll be that."

I've never read this expression (that'll be that) before... what means??

It will be the end?

Badore90

#130
it's better now, thanks.

November 17, 2015, 03:23:36 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

...and compliments for the translation! Now I can explain some characters animations (certain dialogs are entirely missing in the original...).

Bahamut

It seems the patch breaks the game (infinite loading with beeping error) when you enter the village below Junon on CD1, it works on unpatched game

John Enigma

I have two questions for this patch:

1. Is it complete or is the progress still ongoing?
2. How can I apply this patch?

Green_goblin

Quote from: John Enigma on November 23, 2015, 07:01:06 AM
I have two questions for this patch:

1. Is it complete or is the progress still ongoing?
2. How can I apply this patch?

1 - There will be a new patch as soon as DLPB publishes his update.

2 - Simply drag the original ISO into the .bat file, that's all.

shadue


DLPB

The next update is the last for the "new menu" i created for 1998 version.  Then I'm working purely on old menu (which I find to be the only thing that fits this older game). The retranslation has had a few fixes and tweaks for R03e, but I will soon be going through the entire thing again fixing up any remaining grammar issues (like excessive exclamation marks - a remnant of the Japanese script). I plan on having it finalized for Jan 1st, when R04 comes out.  Someone on Qhimm's plans on doing a Japanese proof check of our work - which would help, and I've also asked Gemini if he would do the same (but I won't hold my breath :) )

cold_spirit

#136
What tools did you use to edit world map and menu text on PSX? I'd like to make further changes/additions to the script after installing Beacause. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, I'm still learning and am very curious. Thanks for putting this together!

Green_goblin

Quote from: cold_spirit on December 14, 2015, 07:01:30 PM
What tools did you use to edit world map and menu text on PSX? I'd like to make further changes/additions to the script after installing Beacause. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, I'm still learning and am very curious. Thanks for putting this together!

To edit World Map texts and Menu texts you have to use Cebix Tools: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1050/

Kage52124

Hey all!

I ripped my old copies of FF7 Greatest Hits (NTSC) with Imgburn.

Here are my MD5s:

Disk 1: 7a f6 54 70 af fc 16 59 6a 58 bf 07 fc 5f b3 77
Disk 2: dd 0e 01 30 82 26 0f 03 de 51 01 b4 97 20 e8 11
Disk 3: ea c9 16 b4 2d 5c 24 f9 51 c8 de c2 f1 3a 63 de


Please notice that while my first two disks don't have the same MD5 as you have, my third disk does.  I even re-ripped the first disk from another computer, and it still wasn't the right checksum.  This is odd to me.  Any thoughts?

saldite

#139
Quote from: Kage52124 on December 17, 2015, 01:28:57 AM
Hey all!

I ripped my old copies of FF7 Greatest Hits (NTSC) with Imgburn.

Here are my MD5s:

Disk 1: 7a f6 54 70 af fc 16 59 6a 58 bf 07 fc 5f b3 77
Disk 2: dd 0e 01 30 82 26 0f 03 de 51 01 b4 97 20 e8 11
Disk 3: ea c9 16 b4 2d 5c 24 f9 51 c8 de c2 f1 3a 63 de


Please notice that while my first two disks don't have the same MD5 as you have, my third disk does.  I even re-ripped the first disk from another computer, and it still wasn't the right checksum.  This is odd to me.  Any thoughts?
I'd verify your hashes with redump or some other online DB of clean rips.

http://redump.org/disc/66/
http://redump.org/disc/67/
http://redump.org/disc/68/

Just from a quick look, it seems like the only one that's ripping correctly is your third disc. The issue could be either your discs are scratched or your CD tray on your PC is shit. Mine is a combination of the two. Considering you tried with two different computers and got the same results, my best guess is your discs are the issue.

I'd try ripping with ISOBuster free. I've had luck ripping some games that ImgBurn craps out on for one reason or another with my drive.

EDIT: I didn't even see that on the main download page the MD5sums all matched redump.

In that case, your only real option is to keep trying to re-rip it until your hashes match.

It might take a few tries if your CD drive or discs aren't in good condition.