News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Castlevania II (Simon's Quest) - Multilingual enhancement  (Read 513138 times)

Sparky Z

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania II (Simon's Quest) - Multilingual enhancement
« Reply #1160 on: August 17, 2020, 12:14:40 am »
Is anyone else having trouble getting the Vending Machine to work? I've been trying for a couple of days (across 2 computers, multiple browsers, various combinations of settings) and all I get when I click the download button is a page that looks like this:

Bisqwit

• Polite, but politically incorrect.
    • View Profile
    • http://iki.fi/bisqwit/
« Reply #1161 on: August 17, 2020, 10:55:52 am »
Should be fixed now. Thanks for the reports.

hackbar

• View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: August 18, 2020, 01:25:08 am »
There's still some bugs around the load game screen.

1. The music stalls when hitting start on the title menu.
2. The load screen has the first save data attop of the screen for a few frames.
3. There's tile garbage after loading a game.

video: https://youtu.be/Dnpuv6sbx6Y

2_12_0_1-ntsc-m1MwmFrUSp0
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 06:56:07 pm by hackbar »

Greyfield

• View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: August 19, 2020, 03:56:03 pm »
Just wanted to drop in to say thanks for making this awesome patch.  Simon's quest was my first CV game, and despite being challenging, requiring a call to the Nintendo Power help line to figure out the red crystal, and receiving a lot of modern hate, it holds a special place in my heart.  This really breathes some new life in it for me, especially now that my kids will soon be old enough to start retro gaming.

Do you know if this patch is compatible with the false floors annoyance removal patch?  That's pretty much the only other patch I could see installing, as it's kinda a grossly unfair part of the game in my opinion.  Truth be told, I'd actually prefer to make my own floors patch using the old tile editor, changing the appearance of the false floors just slightly so attentive players could spot the difference without trial and error, but alas, that requires old VB6 libraries that aren't available in Windows 10.

Bisqwit

• Polite, but politically incorrect.
    • View Profile
    • http://iki.fi/bisqwit/
« Reply #1164 on: August 21, 2020, 04:07:40 pm »
Do you know if this patch is compatible with the false floors annoyance removal patch?

I provide absolutely no support for patches made by others, at least as long as I don’t know what they are made of.

There's still some bugs around the load game screen.

1. The music stalls when hitting start on the title menu.
2. The load screen has the first save data attop of the screen for a few frames.
3. There's tile garbage after loading a game.

#1) Aesthetic issue. Won't address.
#2) I think this is a regression, but it still is only an aesthetic issue. If I figure it out, I will fix it.
#3) I did not see evidence of this in the linked video.

Greyfield

• View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: September 01, 2020, 12:24:27 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Bisquit, I totally understand.  This actually inspired me to learn the very first basics of tile and sprite editing, and I uploaded a hack that edits the the tiles associated with false floors and breakable blocks a few days ago, now posted at https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5361/.

As far as I can tell from my digging around with the sprites in a ROM patched with your re-translation and the tiles I edited, it seems totally compatible (i.e. you didn't move the sprite and tile locations).  Thanks again for taking all the time to work on your hack, it's really great stuff.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 01:53:45 pm by Greyfield »