News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Open call for bugs.  (Read 6259 times)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Open call for bugs.
« on: May 08, 2015, 11:37:13 pm »
Hey folks, I'm in the process of loading up my bug tracker with all manner of tasks, current and future. This includes bugs in past projects that have gone unresolved. So far I've logged a bug for Ys V and a bug for Rudra, and I'm aware of (and have fixed nearly all of, privately) SMT1's issues. I have some tasks logged for current projects, which I'm using to help keep me on track, and some bugs logged for Dark Half which is undergoing testing. But I know there are more out there. A handful of fixes that need to be made to Rockman & Forte, for instance - but I don't have an immediate handy record of which ones.

So, this is an open call. Anyone have an issue they'd like to report? Screenshots and savestates are handy - I can attach them to my bugtracker - but if you do submit a save be sure to specify what emulator it's for!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Open call for bugs.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 12:11:33 am »
and I'm aware of (and have fixed nearly all of, privately) SMT1's issues

Dude, you are awesome.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 12:33:33 am »
Dude, you are awesome.

Thank you for that :) But really, that's not what this is about.

If I've learned one thing over the years, it's that people will yell at me that X is broken, I'll duly note it, then it'll get buried in my forum somewhere. The whole point of this is to have as exhaustive a list as possible, all in one place.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 05:54:50 am »
I think Rockman & Forte had one bug with garbled letters when asking if you wanted to erase your "CD database" (To enter the Erase menu, you highlight  the save file you want to delete and press L+R+Select+Start) on the lower part of the screen.

I remember that there was one of the Robot Masters with the wrong name, I think it was Woodman, which was called Windman (Number 16 Robot Master).

Sorry if I can't remember any more. It was so long ago... I need to replay this one. In any case, for which emulator would you like a save state for those bugs? I guess Snes9x , but I rather ask first in case.

EDIT: I made the savestates for Snex9x just in case I'm not here later.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5qoogun3mzdnjq/MegaForte%20Savestates.rar?dl=0

You have the screenshots and a savestate for both things.

By the way, the bug for Rudra is that one in Surlent's Story about the Thor Volcano portal?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 06:26:22 am by Maeson »
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 07:58:52 am »
I remember documenting all the bugs I encountered in Hourai during my playthroughs and sending you the complete list, screenshots and suggestions included. It was a few years ago, but I still have everything and can resend or post here if need be. It's a bit lengthy, mind you.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 10:37:46 am »
I sent you a message a long, long time ago about two little bugs I found in Live-A-Live, but I never even received acknowledgement.   At the time I figured that you were probably done with the project and/or had a perfectly reasonable policy of not replying to such things. :-\

Alas, I can find no trace of the message at the moment.  I believe one was a line near the end of the medieval chapter that ended with "longer Oersted" where one or two of the words was in the wrong font, though it later occurred to me that might have just been a stylistic choice.  The other I think was the bad ending where
Spoiler:
you kill off Oersted after the final boss fight instead of proceeding to the boss rush
and one of the lines came out garbled.  I might still have the screenshot.

ETA: Bingo!
Spoiler:

I also took this one screenshot during the credits where there was a bit of garbage on the screen, but it's kind of hard to miss.
Spoiler:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 01:23:36 pm by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 01:15:33 pm »
You have the screenshots and a savestate for both things.

By the way, the bug for Rudra is that one in Surlent's Story about the Thor Volcano portal?

Thanks, I'll get these logged.

And no, the bug I'm referring to with Rudra involves the fact that 12-character mantra names overwrite the bytes that keep track of stat buffs in battle (whoops).

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 02:24:40 pm »
Tactics Ogre bugs do not count?

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 02:41:18 pm »
Tactics Ogre bugs do not count?

They only don't count if they're not caused by the patch. So like the window priority thing when viewing your party during intermissions in zsnes? Not my fault.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 04:01:30 pm »
Random amount of MEN and/or AGI stats of random characters in the whole formation (those outside battle as well) are randomly set 0 somewhere during a battle. But I don't have a surefire way of triggering it, so I cannot confirm whether it is from the patch or in the original. Just a bunch of before/after savestates I once sent to you. (bsnes 080)

edit: If and when I try the game next time sometime in the distant future, I'll probably try playing it with bsnes-plus and if I catch the bug only from the patched game, I'll notify you.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:50:52 am by STARWIN »

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 09:45:29 am »
Since I was unsure whether you still had my Hourai bug reports, I'm reposting everything just in case. It's mostly text bugs and a handful of technical issues. What it doesn't contain are known bugs that had already been reported in the Pantheon just after release. Since the list is pretty substantial and contains a lot of screenshots, instead of posting it in the forums, I've uploaded it here.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 11:20:53 am by mziab »

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 03:37:34 pm »
It's pretty old at this point, and one has to go somewhat out of their way to see it but...

Clock Tower. When you reset the game like one or two times, garbage tiles appear after some bits of text in the intro. ("with her friends" "fifth time you asked" "don't worry" "it's a nice place").

gadesx

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 08:25:29 am »
As the bugs of Hourai High when you finish some chapters with the Text speed in fast?

meunierd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 12:01:53 pm »
In Shiren the Wanderer, whenever a Gamara steals from you it says it stole ':Arrow' and nothing appears to be removed from my inventory.

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 01:26:16 pm »
I sent you an email about this in 2008. :) Never got a response though, probably for the reasons you mentioned.

In Dark Lord, when you're selecting members of your party (after they've been created), you can press Select on any of their names to pull up their stats. The stats window pulls up about halfway, and then the game crashes. In FCEUmm, it just shows a green screen. In Nestopia, a sprite glitch appears in the lower right of the green screen, and a sad little song plays. :)

No pictures, but it's really easy to duplicate.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 01:01:13 pm »
Somebody mentioned 'Adventures of Hourai High'--and as someone who has suffered through the mess of bugs that plagues that game, I second a look at it.

I had to fight the final boss 5 times because the game would freeze anytime I used a resurrection item/spell.  That text speed bug that froze the game between chapters was a total joke too, and I believe I was told none of the bonus stats from equips really did much of anything at all for some reason.

Maybe then someone can move on to fixing all the messy gameplay balancing issues throughout. :/

EDIT:  Another bug I just remembered but I didn't see mentioned involved the game freezing whenever I tried to join a certain combination of clubs--I believe I tried to join Cheerleading after Kendo, and when I tried to join it, I just got a black screen.  Dear God I'm having so many flashbacks right now.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:06:57 pm by magictrufflez »

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 01:13:53 pm »
I believe I was told none of the bonus stats from equips really did much of anything at all for some reason.

This is the case in the original, unhacked game. I'm hesitant to change this as it could alter the current (and possibly intended) gameplay balance.

I've fixed some bugs in Hourai already, but in so doing I appear to have caused other bugs. The game is not friendly to work with.

Corvo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 07:19:46 pm »
In Assault Suits Valken, most of the times after you select Continue, the stage title is displayed as garbage.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 07:31:40 pm by Corvo »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 12:43:15 am »
This is the case in the original, unhacked game. I'm hesitant to change this as it could alter the current (and possibly intended) gameplay balance.

I've fixed some bugs in Hourai already, but in so doing I appear to have caused other bugs. The game is not friendly to work with.

It's OK, since I personally finished the game already, it's not a huge deal to me, but anytime anyone brings up the game, I just start going into Hulk RAEGE over all the bugs.  I just needed to vent again, really.

meunierd

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 05:32:57 pm »
When you give a Purify Scroll to the guy who learns to purify you in Shiren the Wanderer:

I just wanted to add that this is probably my favourite title you've tackled. I've been trying to beat it off and on since the patch came out. This year's gonna be the one I swear!