News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Japanese ROM hacks and ROM Hacking sites?  (Read 5708 times)

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
Japanese ROM hacks and ROM Hacking sites?
« on: July 04, 2015, 12:28:30 pm »
What ones are there?

I know in the Super Mario World community there's a sort of... admiration for Japan made ROM hacks by some people, because of the ASM gimmicks in games like Brutal Mario and Super Mario LD and SMW YEAHHH.  But what's the scene over there like for other games?

Are any of the Japanese SMB 1 or 3 hacks as impressive as some of the SMW ones by those in said regions?  And for that matter, why does it seem ROM hacking in general is less 'mainstream' over there?  I did hear something about Japan having stricter copyright laws, but it still doesn't explain why everything seems to still be about tiny personal home pages on their equivalents to Geocities or why hacks from this region seem underrepresented on more international sites...
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese ROM hacks and ROM Hacking sites?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 02:27:20 pm »
I've been wondering about this myself. I'd love to see what some of the Japanese hackers have done with the Castlevania games.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 03:29:49 pm »
This site keeps bringing up the Final Fantasy VI T-edition.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2175/

It has yet to be translated into English. I'd have loved to see it.

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 06:01:50 pm »
Hmm... good questions! I did a quick Google search and the only thing I was able to come up with in my 30 seconds I dedicated to this was this one Japanese site:

http://emu.web-g-p.com/info/page/fc_rom_hack.html

They seem to mostly have Mario Bros. hacks, but they also have stuff for other games and systems, I think. Fascinating idea, though!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 06:07:26 pm »
If you find some then do share. I occasionally fish tools out of various sites (you will occasionally see tools taken and translated to Japanese and often improved along the way, if this has happened then take the tool name and add site:.jp to the search) but never found anywhere like here, any of the console hacking sites or even a basic homebrew and hacking news blog I could watch to give me a good chance of not missing things -- if something filtered down I would usually note the author's site and add it to the rounds of various sites I would do. Many of my old links are dead now but if you want a good Japanese hacker then http://loveemu.hatenablog.com/ is a good start.

I have no idea why this is. I can point you to loads of sites/languages with games/hacking culture and populations far below Japan's with thriving hacking/homebrew sites but Japan just seems to be absent.

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 06:59:10 pm »
I have no idea why this is. I can point you to loads of sites/languages with games/hacking culture and populations far below Japan's with thriving hacking/homebrew sites but Japan just seems to be absent.

My guess? Japan is much more sensitive to copyright/IP.  Despite (until recently) relatively lax laws on piracy, it's just not as wide-spread here, even to the extent that you rarely find scans of artbooks, scans of instruction manuals, and the like online. You'll find an episode of an old anime or movie here and there on niconico douga, but not nearly to the same extent that you can find any tv show you could imagine on YouTube.

What really drove the point home was when I was reading Yahoo Answers in Japanese (Yahoo Chiebukuro) one day and a person was asking if they could post a recipe they made to their cooking blog. The response? Everyone freaked out at the insinuation that you would re-post the recipe, which is the OMFG IP OF THE AUTHOR OF THE BOOK, to your blog.

My wife does fanart and posts it to Twitter, and it's not uncommon for some random, uptight fan to send her a message telling her she's "not allowed to draw Mickey Mouse."  :huh: Umm.. if that were true, you'd need to sue every elementary school kid, yo.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 07:15:39 pm »
I can see that happening/being the underlying reason for things. Most homebrew related trouble seems to come out of Japan (stuff like the Tetris Grand Masters DS homebrew remake and some of the author's later efforts, http://meraman.dip.jp/wordpress/?cat=17 ).

I wonder if the Japanese division of the law school of Nintendo is as amusing as the US/Europe iterations.

Lilfut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 02:37:44 pm »
I know Romancing SaGa 3 is a popular subject for ROM hacks over there, I've seen a few videos adding characters and bosses from other SaGa games or even unrelated games and anime. Like the Creator from Makai Toushi SaGa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMAxd4S5pGA

I honestly probably have enough Japanese knowledge to translate some of these (using monospaced font) if I could get ahold of whatever tools they're using.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 02:45:55 pm by Lilfut »

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 07:39:22 pm »
Someone out there made an emulator for i-mode cell-phones. I saw it even mentioned in a google book about mobile game development. The current more available cell-phone emulators only cover J2ME and nothing else...

Well, someone took lots of screenshoots and also posted extensive sprite rips for the Seiken Densetsu remake. However, getting hold of the i-mode emulator and the actual binary images of the applications is next to impossible (and most of them had their official pages removed).
But there's still the Desmume high-res fork, SSF for the Saturn, and a bunch of homebrew emulators working on the GBA and WonderSwan. Someone even bothered to emulate the weird Slide MAG add-on for the DS but for an obsolete emulator (IDeaS) without ever releasing the source.

It's sort of frustrating knowing there's lots of tool-assisted speedruns, game guides, romhacks, homebrews, romhacking utilities, and roms/emulators for i-mode mobile platforms, coming out of Japanese web but actually getting hold of them is next to impossible.

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 12:25:46 pm »
As for Final Fantasy, there's a few Japanese hacks, utilities and links worth of mention on this page: http://www9.atwiki.jp/ffbin/pages/30.html

I tried FF6-T and FF6-G, both impressive in their own way. This is the youtube channel of the author of FF6-G, he has done some pretty impressive changes to the game: https://www.youtube.com/user/SHALLDIF

Dragomorph

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 02:15:17 am »
I know Romancing SaGa 3 is a popular subject for ROM hacks over there, I've seen a few videos adding characters and bosses from other SaGa games or even unrelated games and anime. Like the Creator from Makai Toushi SaGa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMAxd4S5pGA

I honestly probably have enough Japanese knowledge to translate some of these (using monospaced font) if I could get ahold of whatever tools they're using.

You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear someone say that.

Here's the main site as far as I can tell for those.