News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super R.C. Pro-Am: GB: Emulated 4 player? Unlimited continues hack?  (Read 3453 times)

Butt_Rogers

• View Profile
I love the RC Pro-Am series and I think Super RC Pro-Am for the Gameboy is the best title in the series.

I'm in the process of acquiring 4 copies, a four player adapter, and 4 gameboys so my friends and I can play it as a party game.

As a party game it does face serious limitations though. Each player only gets 3 continues. This means if one player isn't great at these isometric/top-down racers, they get booted from the game after 3 or so races.

This got me thinking.

Is it possible to hack a rom to give you unlimited continues?

If so...

Is there any way to emulate a 4 player link cable gameboy game?

With unlimited continues, and 4 player split screen emulated multiplayer, Super RC Pro-Am would be an incredibly good party game. The core game play really does hold up today. You'd just keep track of race wins/positions on a piece of paper.

I've been playing a bunch of isometric racers I bought off Steam and having a lot of fun (definitely check out BlazeRush), but none of them quite scratch the itch the way good old pixelated RC cars do. I just really like the controls in Super RC Pro-Am. It feels 'right' to me.

If any of you like isometric racers, you should try Super RC Pro Am. It's by far the most approachable of the series, and after a few play throughs you should beat it. Focus on picking up the letter and vehicle upgrade found on each track, and after a play through or two you should have no problem at least getting to the 3rd car type. The same cannot be said for RC Pro-Am or RC Pro-Am II which probably made a lot of kids destroy their nintendos back in the day.

Thank you in advance!

FAST6191

• View Profile
I would be very surprised if the continues were not just a simple memory value somewhere. With that being the case then you can probably pull it off with a cheat (only three continues and having to actually lose a race might make this more annoying to search for than something like infinite ammo but it is the same concept and methods used), and also turn it into a basic ROM hack easily enough if you really wanted to; find the cheat, then find the thing that subs the value and then nerf that instruction in some manner.

GB/GBC link emulation I have not kept up with in recent years. For quite some time the only real option was no$gmb ( http://problemkaputt.de/gmb.htm ) but http://bgb.bircd.org/ gained some abilities here a couple of years back. I am not sure what exists in the console or android world.

I might have to check this game out as well. Micro machines on the megadrive/genesis was very much my kind of game and I have not heard of this franchise before. Also for amusing misread of the day I read that as 4 copies.... and four friends.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 03:39:56 pm by FAST6191 »

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
bgb being open source
I didn't know about this and I couldn't find anything about it in Google.

Can you post a link to its source code?
There has to be a better life.

FAST6191

• View Profile
My bad, I got mixed up between that and a similarly named emulator.

Butt_Rogers

• View Profile
BGB does have 'TCP/IP game link support'. I'm not sure if that works for local multiplayer though...

There are ways to link VisualBoyAdvance, but I believe that only emulates the GBA link cable and only works with GBA games.

I know the original RC Pro-Am did have a game genie code for unlimited continues. This page allegedly has some cheats for Super RC Pro-Am, but none are for continues. I also have no idea how you input them.
http://wescastro.com/codetwink/cheats.codetwink.com/gb/view/417/default.htm

If anyone is interested in trying Super RC Pro-Am, I highly recommend this little map guide. To beat the game you do not have to come in first every time. You have to collect the NINTENDO letters, one of which will appear on each track. Pick up all letters and you get a new car. Do it 3 times and you win the game. The minimap in game doesn't show you solid track obstacles, so this map will let you plot a course through everything.
http://i.imgur.com/F3v2Dpx.jpg

I think the hardest track is Track 6 because there's a million puddles of water on the track and they slow you down. If you get stuck on this track, don't write off the game, it's the hardest track for me by far.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Sorting multiplayer for consoles with actual "networking"/communications protocols (which is to the the likes of the GB/GBC and GBA) over the internet is usually the harder part of things. If they have that then local should be possible, if nothing else you should be able to do something on localhost.

Yeah VBA has VBA link and that should have been implemented in VBA-m as well, however as you say I think that is just for the GBA.
For GB/GBC cheats then http://doc.kodewerx.org/hacking_gb.html probably has something worth noting.

In this case
"01xxyyzz    8-bit RAM write
Writes the byte xx to the address yyzz."

0104B3DA (the have best tyres cheat) is then write 04 to B3DA
According to
http://problemkaputt.de/pandocs.htm#memorymap
A000-BFFF   8KB External RAM     (in cartridge, switchable bank, if any)

Of course that is not going to do much as far as unlimited continues but that is how the cheats seem to work in this instance.

Butt_Rogers

• View Profile
Thank you for your help FAST, I really appreciate it, although I'm still a bit lost.

If anyone likes YouTube reviews, here are some very good reviews of Super RC Pro AM and a retrospective on the game series.

Classic Game Room Review (GBA colors)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm7YKE3SCeM

Lets Play (Super Game Boy colors) (It's worth noting this guy has no trouble til he dies on Track 6, the hardest track imo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpTKVO_wlgs

Series Retrospective
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlr03er6HLE

May 07, 2015, 12:07:54 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok. Incredible. I'm goofing around with BGB.

1.) I duplicated the BGB folder and named one executable BGB1.

2.) I ran both copies of BGB.

3.) I set one copy to be controlled by my gamepad. The other to be controlled by keyboard.

4.) I loaded both copies of BGB with Super RC Pro Am.

4.) Under the BGB 'Link' menu, I set one to Listen, and set the other to Connect. I didn't mess with the link numbers it came up with.

5.) I pressed Start on one, and Start on the other.

6.) The two copies of BGB were linked!

7.) At first I couldn't figure out how to get controller input to register on the window that wasn't "in front". This was solved by unchecking the boxes for "Game Controller Works Only If App Has Focus", and "Keyboard Works Only If App Has Focus".

8.) Ok. Done. But no matter what I do, the keyboard controls BOTH, and the Gamepad controls BOTH. Despite one BGB having different keyboard settings. Despite one being set to Joypad 1, the other to Joypad 2  :o :banghead:

I've tried everything in the options I can think of in the options/settings...

Ok. So, not quite there yet.

But it does seem to work in theory.

And I've solved some mysteries I had. If you play linked, the items on the track on your screen can only be picked up by you. So everyone gets a letter, everyone gets an upgrade, and presumably, everyone gets their own ammo.

So far this seems really really promising!!

EDIT:

So I'm playing around with BGBs cheat searcher.

I know you start out with 3 continues. I double checked.

But if I first search for values equal to 3, then use a continue, and search for values equal to 2, I sometimes get zero address results. Other times I get several.

So... Maybe there is actually no way to mess with the number of continues :( . I'm starting to think that if it were possible someone would have figured it out already.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 02:21:16 am by Butt_Rogers »

FAST6191

• View Profile
It might not be 3 in memory and might be part of another value. Try instead searching for values that have changed (go decreased at first as changed might be too broad).

On the keyboard thing I find the emulators probably take both inputs. There probably is a control enable option somewhere but if you can not find such a thing then instead try configuring the keyboard in the joypad emulator to use uiop or something different and far away from the other.

Butt_Rogers

• View Profile
Well wholly fudge on a stick!!!

I followed your advice. Lose a race, use a continue = Value goes down. Win a race, do not use a continue = Value remains the same. I did this in several variations and came up with two addresses.

I chose the address with the smaller value. I restarted the game, and changed the value of that address to 9. I then set about losing races and using continues.

I used up 5 continues, and I don't appear to have broken the game.

I'll test this more, but the address DE79 seems to be the 'continue culprit'.

Thank you for your patience FAST, this is the first time I've ever done anything like this!

EDIT:

Ok. The value of address DE79 = the number of races you can lose before game over.

So if you set the value to 1, that means if you lose 1 race, it's game over.

I believe it is normally set to 4.

Lose race 1
(Use 1st Continue)
Lose race 2
(Use 2nd Continue)
Lose race 3
(Use 3rd Continue)
Lose race 4
(Game Over)

So DE79=04 equates to three continues.

If you set this value to 99, that means you get 98 continues, or in other words, you can come in 4th 99 times before game over.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 02:54:21 pm by Butt_Rogers »