News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. - Why No Time Bonus Award in the Castle Levels?  (Read 3073 times)

SMB2J-2Q

• View Profile
There is a question I hope to get answered to regarding Super Mario Bros. for the NES? Why is there no time bonus for each last level of each world - you know, the castle levels (the x-4 worlds)?

I'd like to be able to know what to do to change this so I do get a time remaining award to my score in these levels. Thank you! Which code in the game's ROM instructs to leave out the time remaining bonus in the x-4 levels? Would I have to add more code for this to be done, as is the case with Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan)?

~Ben

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros. - Why No Time Bonus Award in the Castle Levels?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 03:00:40 pm »
There is a question I hope to get answered to regarding Super Mario Bros. for the NES? Why is there no time bonus for each last level of each world - you know, the castle levels (the x-4 worlds)?

I'd like to be able to know what to do to change this so I do get a time remaining award to my score in these levels. Thank you! Which code in the game's ROM instructs to leave out the time remaining bonus in the x-4 levels? Would I have to add more code for this to be done, as is the case with Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan)?

~Ben

Ben, you don't touch the flag pole inside a castle, which is necessary to score the remaining time. Use a hex-editor to find out the value that makes a flag-pole object, then try to figure out how to edit the "Toad" object so that it acts like a flag-pole.

omega_rugal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 03:21:03 pm »
Ben, you don't touch the flag pole inside a castle, which is necessary to score the remaining time. Use a hex-editor to find out the value that makes a flag-pole object, then try to figure out how to edit the "Toad" object so that it acts like a flag-pole.

that would be the "Axe" that Mario has to touch to send Bowser to the lava...

in the castle Axe = Flagpole
Done your packing?, your life journey is over...

SMB2J-2Q

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 05:12:29 pm »
that would be the "Axe" that Mario has to touch to send Bowser to the lava...

in the castle Axe = Flagpole
BTW, I brought this up because in Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan) (aka The Lost Levels) as well as in Vs. Super Mario Bros. and All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros., and of course the Super Mario All-Stars versions of SMB1 and SMB2(J), the remaining time is added to your score in the castle levels.

Anyway, what would you do to make the timer count down to add to your score in the castle levels after touching Bowser's axe?

~Ben

insectduel

• View Profile
    • Insectduel's Domain
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 07:05:17 pm »
My friend Shane Mohammed already did this code, but on the famicom version of SMB1. I assume that it's the same code if you look up both SMB2J & SMB1 Disassembly.
Please do not send me RHDN's private messages to contact me, you must use Facebook and I'll be able to reply to you quickly. I AM NOT AN ACTIVE RHDN MEMBER!

SMB2J-2Q

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 10:33:28 pm »
My friend Shane Mohammed already did this code, but on the famicom version of SMB1. I assume that it's the same code if you look up both SMB2J & SMB1 Disassembly.
That would be the Famicom Disk System version that your friend had modified, correct?

~Ben