News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How do I chage MegaMan's weapon colour palettes in MegaMan 2?  (Read 1939 times)

DragonMage98

• View Profile
Recently, I've been thinking of making a Mega Man 2 hack with Mega Man having different colour palettes like usual in your average MM2 hack.
Anyways, what I'm asking is when Mega Man equips a different weapon, his sprite changes colour.
I've seen MM2 hacks where guys have changed the colour palettes of Mega Man when he has a certain weapon equipped.
I have FCEUX, but I don't know what to edit in the PPU Hex.
For example, I want Mega Man's Bubble Lead palette changed from Gray to Yellow. What should I edit?

Turambar

• View Profile
Re: How do I chage MegaMan's weapon colour palettes in MegaMan 2?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 05:27:49 am »
If you open the PPU viewer and change weapons, you'll see that the first sprite palette changes colors, so that must be which palette Mega Man uses. If you highlight the colors, you will see that Mega Man's default colors are "0F 2C 11" and Bubble Lead is "0F 30 00". Simply open the rom in a hex editor and search for "0F 30 00". It just so happens that there is only one single instance of that string of bytes in the whole rom, so it must be the Bubble Lead color. It is! Change (don't insert new bytes, you might have to press the insert key, depending on the hex editor) those bytes and then save it.

DragonMage98

• View Profile
Re: How do I chage MegaMan's weapon colour palettes in MegaMan 2?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 09:47:46 pm »
It worked! Thanks
By the way, I used HexEdit 4 to find it