News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: 2 new homebrew NES games  (Read 2672 times)

dougeff

• View Profile
2 new homebrew NES games
« on: April 27, 2015, 11:09:49 am »
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum, though I've been visiting the site for years.

I just got into programming the NES (for and emulator) and finished my first 2 projects this month. They have been posted on the homebrew section if anyone wants to check them out.

http://www.romhacking.net/homebrew/68/
http://www.romhacking.net/homebrew/69/

The first is an action platform jumper called "Purple Cape Man". It was originally going to be something different, but I changed all the text and title and graphics at the last minute, to avoid any kind of possible legal issues.

The second is a simple drawing game, "Paint or Draw".

All original programming, all original graphics and music.

Btw, I'm looking to work on other homebrew projects, if anyone is interested in collaborating. I'm a pretty good musician, and I have a degree in Graphic Design. And I know Assembly for 6502.

nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

dougeff

• View Profile
Re: 2 new homebrew NES games
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 12:40:01 pm »
I have updated my homebrew game, Purple Cape Man, Vigilante Ninja. Anyone who has downloaded the first one will definitely want to redownload and play the much better version.

Improvements:
-doubled horizontal speed
-improved jump, more like arch and slightly further into top of screen
-improved punch, hit extended a few pixels
-fixed sound fx glitch
-fixed a rare graphic glitch
-moved hearts down a bit, so it can be seen better on actual tv
-made levels harder
-slight graphics change, including font

Also, I am starting work on Vigilante Ninja 2, with much better graphics and more tools and better enemies to fight.

tero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 08:26:21 pm »
Honestly, impressive in my eyes for being able to make something like that. (I'm new to this site and I'm still learning).
Surprised you aren't getting many replies.

I'm intrigued how long it took you to develop each project from start to finish.

Edit: I did some playing on Purple Cape Man and found a bug, if you die twice then you will appear to have only 2 hearts; no changes to your HP but a graphical glitch.
Spoiler:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 01:22:44 pm by tero »

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 01:43:10 am »
I thought I fixed that glitch. It doesn't happen anymore on the 3 emulators that I tried. Oh, well.

What's happening is that the game code is taking slightly too long during the death routine and another NMI is triggered while it was trying to redraw the hearts. It only happened occasionally on all the test runs that I did. You still have 6 hearts, they just never got printed to the screen properly.

I would spend more time fixing this game, but I'm busy working on a much better sequel. I'm sure that the new game will have even more interesting glitches :)

By the way, it took me about 3 months to write this game. And it took me about a week to write the Paint or Draw game.
I'm projecting it will take me about 6 months to write the sequel (it will be more than twice as long).

tero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 09:04:27 pm »
I see. That's a good amount of effort, looking forward to the sequel. The current game is frustrating since every time you die you get set back quite a ways. xD

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 12:59:16 am »
I thought maybe I made it too easy.
Use a cheat code. Set 000a to 6 = invincible. Set 000c to 1 = always have throwing star.

tero

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 04:20:11 pm »
Heh. I don't cheat in games, I usually try to play.  ;)
The reason why I looked into the homebrew games were for educational reasons anyways.