News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Megaman Origins for the NES  (Read 8084 times)

RetroRain

• View Profile
Megaman Origins for the NES
« on: April 20, 2015, 07:12:21 pm »
We have all seen the little blue guy, but who is he?  And what is his purpose?  To find out, we must go back to the beginning, and discover what made this guy the blue bomber we all know and love today!

Join Megaman as he begins his early adventures that set the standard for future entries in the series.

Showcasing Megaman 1 & 2 in...... Megaman Origins!

This patch is no longer available for download. Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:04:49 pm by Rockman »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: Megaman Origins for the NES
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 09:43:59 pm »
Would have been neat if you could've squeezed in Mega Man 3 and made a full 8-bit version of Wily Wars. Oh, well.

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 12:58:14 am »
Copied from my post at acmlm.kafuka.org

To be perfectly honest with you, I wanted to have a third option on the bootup screen. The option would've been this: ??????

Once you had beaten Megaman 1 & 2, the question marks would reveal Megaman 3. However, I could not add Megaman 3 for one simple reason. Megaman 3 uses CHR-ROM, where-as Megaman 1 & 2 use CHR-RAM. Either MM1 & 2 would have to be CHR-ROM, or MM3 would have to be CHR-RAM. Granted I converted MM2 to CHR-ROM, but MM1 was only converted to CHR-ROM in my Upgrade Patch, so I couldn't use it. It had to be a simple CHR-ROM conversion with no other alterations, since the games had to be the original un-altered versions.

In fact, I had even thought to call this Wily Wars for the NES (much like infidelity's SMAS for the NES) if I was able to include Megaman 3.

I have not entirely ruled out the possiblity of re-doing my CHR-ROM conversion of Megaman 1, using the MMC5 mapper and not altering anything else, much like I did with MM2.

Anyway, thank you for letting me know that this works fine on another hardware device. 

And yes, if infidelity hadn't done SMAS for the NES, I would not have been inspired to do this, much less think to do it.

I might make Wily Wars for the NES in the future, if I'm able to re-convert Megaman 1 to CHR-ROM.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 07:52:36 am »
I'd like to see the extra levels from Wily Wars added in if it were possible. I never liked the way Wily Wars played compared to the NES versions. But that's just my 2 cents.

Cool idea merging of two great games into one package.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 02:46:42 pm »
Yeah, for Wily Tower we should use Mega Man 3 as its base, port over the enemies and weapons from the first two games, and add the WT graphics and music from Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch (with permission from the original creators of the assets, of course).

Duke2go

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Reconstructed
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 05:57:47 am »
I swear Megaman 2 actually looks better in this hack than I originally remember. I'd really like to know if you did anything to fix the physics differences between Megaman 1 and 2. I've said forever that an update of that game with Megaman 2's physics would make that game much more playable than it is originally. I replied I believe to one of your other posts the other day, but the link took me to a page that said the game/patch was no longer available. Its a shame too because this looks excellent.
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/finalfantasyreconstructed/

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 11:05:36 am »
Quick question...
Why was the patch pulled-out completely?

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 12:20:59 pm »
I'd really like to know if you did anything to fix the physics differences between Megaman 1 and 2.

Nothing was changed.  Those are the original games.  They were converted to mapper MMC5 so that I would have no problem putting them both on the same ROM.  Although it's possible that a mapper conversion wasn't necessary, that's what I did.

Quick question...
Why was the patch pulled-out completely?

It was pulled because of this post:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,19642.msg277178.html#msg277178

It didn't even occur to me that indeed the Megaman 1 & 2 ROM data was on the patch, so the patch itself could be considered a ROM.  Even though you need a secondary utility like Lunar IPS to patch the ROM, I didn't want to cross the legal line.

Now granted it's possible neither Nintendo or Capcom would care, I got paranoid and decided it was best to just take the patch down.  When I submitted my request to the RHDN database to have the patch taken down, after 24-48 hours, I noticed the patch was still up, so I guess they didn't think it was a problem.  But then after about a week's time, I noticed that the patch was indeed taken down.

I'm sorry, but when it comes to legality, I feel more comfortable playing it safe.

It just bothers me because it did take me a whole month to make this hack.  I put a lot of work into it.

PhyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 01:05:10 pm »
I wouldn't worry about it. there are LOTS of patches that have copyright GFX/Sound effects/Music in them. as long as the patch (.IPS) cant be played as-is you are fine.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 05:51:34 pm by PhyChris »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 01:46:36 pm »
It just bothers me because it did take me a whole month to make this hack.  I put a lot of work into it.

Don't feel bumped, you can still upload the hack somewhere else, at least the IPS.
If you have a personal blog or something else in the likes of that, you can upload the IPS there so people can still play it.

Duke2go

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Reconstructed
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 11:47:47 pm »
Don't feel bumped, you can still upload the hack somewhere else, at least the IPS.
If you have a personal blog or something else in the likes of that, you can upload the IPS there so people can still play it.

Or you could pull a Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes or Newer Super Mario Bros Wii and just say that the beta testers must have leaked it. I think you're over-thinking it, but I guess if Square decided to be dicks they could come after me for my Final fantasy Reconstructed hack, although I do own an original copy of that game, and copyright laws don't apply to you making modifications to something that you own. Better to follow your gut though, so no offense meant.
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/finalfantasyreconstructed/

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 01:56:02 am »
... as long as the patch (.IPS) cant be played as-is you are fine.

Not true at all. If I were to zip a bootleg video file of a movie currently in theaters, I am still distributing the movie, even if it cannot immediately be played. Distributing copyrighted content is distributing copyrighted content. The form of the data is irrelevant. The 'safety' (making-it-kosher-under-law) of the IPS format is that it usually does not include the copyrighted data and only the changes of the author/hacker.

...although I do own an original copy of that game, and copyright laws don't apply to you making modifications to something that you own.

Which is totally true... until you distribute it, and you are thus distributing a 'derivative work.' Owning your own original copy of a game, ripping the rom, writing it to a cart and renaming it "GARRY'S AWESOME GAME!" doesn't make it any less the intellectual property of the original IP holder.

NOW THAT SAID! I actually think that it's really unlikely anything would ever come out of this, nor am I talking about what's "right" or "fair." I think the Megaman hack is awesome. I'm just pointing out that it's technically violating the site rules.

PhyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 03:25:20 pm »
The 'safety' (making-it-kosher-under-law) of the IPS format is that it usually does not include the copyrighted data and only the changes of the author/hacker.

I'm not going to argue with you on the leagel side of things but there are lots of .IPS patches that have  GFX/Sound effects/Music in them even right here on the site. 99% of the assets used are ripped straight out of other games. hell the SMW central would crash and burn if they couldent use ripped GFX/Sound effects/Music.

why dount you make a llittle batch tool to join the two MM rom files and make .IPS for that 

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 04:35:51 pm »
It would be nice if the site owner and/or forum administrators would weigh in on this.  If the majority thought that there would be no problem in releasing this patch, I would consider re-uploading it.

You guys are more than welcome to direct them to this thread.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 06:18:39 pm »
I-Mockery has been hosting hacked ROM's for over a decade. They even received a C&D letter from Sesame Street, which they blatantly ignored. Consequences: zero.

Granted, they might be exempt under the "parody" clause of Title 17.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 11:56:59 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:55:10 am by Chpexo »

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 05:48:11 pm »
Spoiler:
The patch is still available on Ze Bucket, since that is where I uploaded it to before submitting it to the RHDN database.  And since you can't delete files on Ze Bucket, if you're smart enough to find it, it's yours.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 10:51:58 am »
Spoiler:
The patch is still available on Ze Bucket, since that is where I uploaded it to before submitting it to the RHDN database.  And since you can't delete files on Ze Bucket, if you're smart enough to find it, it's yours.

You should add that to the hack's page. :P

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 01:09:56 pm »
I still think this is a cool idea, just like adding Mario Bros to Super Mario 2. Technically, Nintendo already did that with Super Mario Advance.

As for Mega Man, perhaps you could do something along the lines of how Higan sets up as an emulator. I couldn't stand this myself, but if you had to have a copy of EACH Rom and if you distributed a Homebrew hack that reads the indivdual ROM you have in a folder. Sort of like a GUI that allows you select each game. 

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 01:52:40 am »
How about making a new Mega Man via hacking a NES Mega Man game?

and we the community will give ya entries to make it the best we can make up