News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Breath of Fire II  (Read 23112 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Breath of Fire II
« on: October 02, 2006, 06:49:02 am »

This is an automated message generated by Romhacking.net's RHDNBot.

Update By: winfy

Wuha, d4s released the german patch of the SNES game "Breath of Fire II"!

German Patch released!
Alright, the german patch is done.
I'm in a hurry right now, but i wanted to release the patch in september, exactly 12 years after the game was released in japan, so here it is.

You can get the patch from our database

Relevant Link: (http://bof2.blogspot.com/)

Draken

• The Lost Son
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
Re: Translations: Breath of Fire II
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 07:48:48 am »
I wonder how long we'll have to wait for the English patch?  :-\

creaothceann

• SPINESHARK
    • View Profile
    • creaothceann's website
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 03:39:49 pm »
Hmm, this is strange... soft-patching with ZSNES caused the game's startup check to fail. Hardpatched ROM works.

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 11:22:36 pm »
Hmm, this is strange... soft-patching with ZSNES caused the game's startup check to fail. Hardpatched ROM works.

Fixed in SVN, thanks for making a note of it--there was a bug in the softpatching code.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 08:31:58 am »
How about that? A bug in the softpatching code. ZSNES has had soft patching for quite some time. Is this bug due to some recent changes in it? Or has it been around a long while.

What was the bug actually? I vaguely recall having some odd soft patching issue once or twice in the past that I couldn't explain. Curious if this has been around awhile.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 09:32:45 am »
How about that? A bug in the softpatching code. ZSNES has had soft patching for quite some time. Is this bug due to some recent changes in it? Or has it been around a long while.

And how many people outside the ZSNES club house will benefit from the fix?
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 11:57:17 am »

What was the bug actually? I vaguely recall having some odd soft patching issue once or twice in the past that I couldn't explain. Curious if this has been around awhile.

It's been around for quite a while, apparently. No one noticed it, though, cos no one had a patch quite like d4s'.

As for what it was....it was an off by one error:
[10:55:40] <DrNach> the problem is if you asked to expand a ROM to 5MB
[10:55:46] <DrNach> it'd expand it to 5MB-1 byte
[10:55:54] <DrNach> although with ROM mirroring it'd becomes 5MB anyway
[10:56:11] <DrNach> so only really an issue if you expanded it and you needed the last byte set to something
[10:56:25] <DrNach> if the last byte was just padded, it wouldn't matter

D

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 12:06:50 pm »
NINJA 2.0's first release had that same problem that was ruining unpatch support. Been fixed for a long time though.

byuu

• View Profile
    • A farewell message
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 05:27:08 pm »
Well, my hat is off. d4s' BoF II retranslation is more impressive than Der Langrisser.

D, you know what this means... we're going to have to get our own animated intro into DL, complete with vocal audio track. Too bad DL won't allow for all the fancy translucent gradient windows everywhere. There simply isn't any tilemap under most windows to blend against, and the rest have issues with sprites appearing in the window and all kinds of other fun stuff making it impractical.

I wonder where d4s hangs around, I'd like to ask him some questions... most specifically, how he managed to detect the presence of bsnes. While not hard to detect an emulator vs hardware, I want to get his hack to display that message that "only appears on the real thing" :)

The audio also seems to have two very minor crackles in every emulator, even SNEeSe. I suspect it happens on hardware as well, but will have to test it out for myself. Not sure if it's the original audio, a problem with resampling it to the SNES, a problem with the sound playing code, or with all emulators and their S-DSP cores.

There also seems to be a minor aesthetic issue with clearing windows that were resized. You can see the remnants of them for a few frames. Not a big deal, though.

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 07:03:04 pm »
This music played flawless for me in snes9x.

You can post on his blog and probably find out an email or something. I'm really interested in how he did the emulator check thing too.

byuu

• View Profile
    • A farewell message
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 08:08:15 pm »
Funny, didn't work for me without popping in any of the 9x versions I tried. Also, if you let the intro run, do you hear the two tiny pops during the "angel girl" screen? If not, then try it with another emulator, just in case you're somewhat "hard of hearing" -- no offense, of course ;)

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 10:35:58 pm »
Just testing again with just about every setting. Sometimes it plays perfectly through, and other times it starts skipping and goes crazy. I really still can't hear any crackling though.

Good news for you byuu, bsnes plays it perfect. Didn't hear any crackles or anything. Perhaps it's your driver or sound card. I have Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS.

byuu

• View Profile
    • A farewell message
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 11:34:37 pm »
Hmm, maybe it is my sound card. I was testing it on a laptop.

Ah well, thank you for testing it. Weird that it would only be those two notes that crackle, and that happen in four separate emulators at the exact same spot... but as long as you're hearing it right, one less thing for me to worry about.

winfy

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 02:46:02 pm »
ZSNES works fine for me. No problems with the Intro and Ingame Sequences.

BSNES works ok for me... sometimes! Nice debugger and emulator - Thanks to Byuu.
I have sometimes problems with an Errormessage which appeares randomly. "Failed to create Direct3D9 device".
I have the newest directx version and other directX programmes/games works fine.

cu winfy

byuu

• View Profile
    • A farewell message
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 06:47:38 pm »
You're using bsnes v0.017? v0.013 on this site did have some problems with D3D.

If you're using v0.017 and you get that error, go and edit bsnes.cfg, look for the line that says:

Code: [Select]
system.video = ""
And change it to this:

Code: [Select]
system.video = "dd"
And it will use DirectDraw instead. It doesn't have quite as many features, but it works at least :/

---

Also, I get that minor sound crackle during the angel person's splash screen on my main PC, too. It happens in all emulators.

D

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 11:12:22 pm »
byuu: we have the AST we can use for the game, or if you're feeling crazy, there's the 4 minute song used in Langrisser IV's opening when the credits are scrolled.

I can also dump the 30MB voice actor data from the PSX one if you'd like to hack audio into every dialogue window :P

Dude, there HAS TO BE A WAY to fix the text windows. That is beyond gay how we have to have that 4px solid color in every window >_<

byuu

• View Profile
    • A farewell message
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 12:37:14 am »
I don't think 4 minutes of audio will fit. The compression is essentially going to be 4-bit ADPCM audio, which is basically ultra low quality lossless audio. I can write a decompressor, but that won't save us much. Think FLAC, for instance. Mine would be half as efficient as that, at best.
Now, one option we have, is that I can make an "emulator only" patch that expands the ROM beyond 4MB. Then we can even stick the entire Der Langrisser PC-FX animated video with audio into the game. I don't particularly want to hack the rest of the videos into the game, though. And in fact, I probably couldn't for the same reason our Tekkaman Blade 256-color screens didn't work. Once the game has control over the SPC700 and expects certain data to be in VRAM, etc, it's hard to take control of the system and restore to a sane point again.

One thing I still don't know is how exactly d4s pulled off his audio. I saw some sample stuff but never reall understood how he converted 16-bit PCM to 4-bit ADPCM. I can make an approximator, but something tells me 4-bit audio would be near inaudible. Are you supposed to use the filters and mix multiple channels to make something that doesn't sound like ass? Or is 4 bits really enough? With two channels, I could pull off 8-bit. But only if I can use all four APU regs for HDMA each scanline, I think you can only reliably use two. Anyway, e-mail me if you want to continue discussion. Hate to derail this thread.

Awesome job once again on the patch, d4s. I look forward to playing the English version :)

creaothceann

• SPINESHARK
    • View Profile
    • creaothceann's website
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 09:55:40 am »
I wonder where d4s hangs around, I'd like to ask him some questions... most specifically, how he managed to detect the presence of bsnes. While not hard to detect an emulator vs hardware, I want to get his hack to display that message that "only appears on the real thing" :)

http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=610 :)

Sleeping Turtle

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 12:14:55 pm »
visit his true homepage http://www.ultrasnes.de/ , his e-mail address is at the bottom.

Kirby should be Nintendo's mascot!

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 12:37:35 pm »
Whoa, official dev kit. :o
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P