News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: The Legend of Iowa [UPDATE: Version 1.13 Released!!!]  (Read 38091 times)

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2015, 10:06:33 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:04:13 am by Chpexo »

xorxif

• View Profile
Re: The Legend of Iowa [UPDATE: Version 1.11 Released!!!]
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2015, 11:27:22 pm »
I agree with Rotwang, because the SECOND I saw this hack I was quite elated and pleased to be trying a new Zelda hack with apparently a LOT of work put into it.

However, upon sitting down and playing it, and reading the readme, it felt like the author just didn't care about details, or didn't bother much with beta testing, or could have cared less about specifying in the readme exactly which Zelda rom to patch it to, etc. I hadn't even encountered the Iowa piece bugs yet.

I am glad to learn that this wasn't Dr. Floppy himself submitting the 1.0 hack, simply because it distressed me if he really didn't care at all about important details. Clearly he does, and as soon as I saw the 1.10 patch I repatched and started again from scratch, but unfortunately I encountered the iowa-pieces-disappearing-when-entering-dungeons bug and was stuck at only 3 life :(.

I second the motion about please make a non-epileptic room version please, because indeed those rooms AND small screen sections flickering like that hurt my eyes as well.

I played this for the past couple of nights on my android tablet, a lot of the time in fast forward mode, finished dungeon 3 and hunted a LONG time for 4, to no avail... granted it was late at night and I was half sleepy, but I did find a few of the "gotcha" secrets, looked for more (including in each of the 4 areas from the 3-road-warp) but now I'm stuck. Being stuck having 3 hearts regardless of how many iowa pieces I collected was a bit distressing, but I'm glad you are fixing it.

I have no problem repatching and starting over on 1.11, because like I said I play in fast forward mode some, and learned the layout of the places I could get to on the world map quite a bit.

2 Questions though:
Are you (Dr. Floppy) aka pope hentai that made the wilford brimley series of hacks?
  (I also visited baddesthacks.net because of the existence of this hack... I like your assembler tutorials Dr. Floppy!)

Can you hint what is required to find / get to dungeon 4?

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2015, 11:54:45 pm »
Xorxif, I'm going to write a detailed response to your missive later on. Prior to the weekend before the initial release, the only "problem" with respect to Iowa Pieces was that the same ones could be recollected ad infinitum by abusing the "REDO" feature.

My "fix" to that resulted in Iowa Pieces not always saving correctly, and/or IP statuses being moved over to other files.

My "fix" to that resulted in Iowa Pieces not being collectible if the player lacked the Kevlar Vest.

My "fix" to that resulted in recently-acquired Iowa Pieces not surviving Overworld/Underworld transitions.

I've been working on a "fix" to all of this garbage for the past three hours. I thought I was making good headway, but when I went to save, the game deleted all three save files.

I'm starting to see a disturbing pattern here.

I'll be up all night with this if I have to, but in the meantime I've decided to release a 1.12 version with the "Infinite IP" glitch re-enabled. If nothing else, it'll allow people to reclaim what they've lost. And if I never update the game again, it's because further attempts at fixing it resulted in the ROM coming to life, ripping off my genitals and beating me to death with them.

Rotwang

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2015, 12:05:08 am »

2 Questions though:
Are you (Dr. Floppy) aka pope hentai that made the wilford brimley series of hacks?

Since Floppy didn't catch this question, I'll field it. No, he is not popehentai. However, the real popehentai is on our forums if you need to find him!

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
Re: The Legend of Iowa [UPDATE: Version 1.12 Released!!!]
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2015, 12:33:38 am »
Yeah, PopeHentai & I are two different people. (And PopeHentai isn't Pachuka, either.)

Version 1.12 is out. If you have the patience, you can max-out your healthbar before you even collect the first pitchfork!

Rotwang

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2015, 12:54:03 am »
(And PopeHentai isn't Pachuka, either.)

LOL that was a fun week.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2015, 01:43:46 am »
LOL that was a fun week.

More like the better part of a month!

Also, I seem to be running afoul of some sort of Sanity Check. Who knew Zelda 1 had something like that?!?
(This explains why my IRL copy kept erasing files for no reason 25 years ago...)

xorxif

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2015, 02:04:39 am »
Are you saying that the code evaluates values in the save ram, and if there's something in it that can't possibly be there, it runs a routine to erase all 3 saves?

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2015, 02:38:55 am »
Are you saying that the code evaluates values in the save ram, and if there's something in it that can't possibly be there, it runs a routine to erase all 3 saves?

Something to that effect, yeah. Although, I have stumbled upon a way for it to spare File #3.

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2015, 11:37:47 am »
Well it's a good thing I always use file 3 anyway!

And regarding the flashing screens, a friend of my wife's is epileptic. Should I... should I test it on her? I can make her watch me play, Clockwork Orange style  :thumbsup:

@ Rotwang: Metropolis is one of my favorite movies! I was so pumped when that complete original copy turned up in Argentina a few years back (even if it wasn't in the best condition)

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2015, 05:01:24 pm »
And regarding the flashing screens, a friend of my wife's is epileptic. Should I... should I test it on her? I can make her watch me play, Clockwork Orange style  :thumbsup:

I approve. Do report your findings to the group!

I was so pumped when that complete original copy turned up in Argentina a few years back (even if it wasn't in the best condition)

Fighting Frizzies, at eleven?

Rotwang

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2015, 07:21:00 pm »
@ Rotwang: Metropolis is one of my favorite movies! I was so pumped when that complete original copy turned up in Argentina a few years back (even if it wasn't in the best condition)

I watched that version. To be honest, I didn't think the whole scene in the apartment with the Thin Man and Josaphat really added much to the film. The elevator in that scene was pretty cool though. Still sucks that we will never see the footage of the priest. At least he was part of a scene that had anything to do with Freder's dilemma.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2015, 01:07:38 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:03:09 am by Chpexo »

Rotwang

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2015, 01:54:33 am »
Wow dude, I gotta say that's pretty rude to go over his head and release your own hack of his hack when it's only been out for eight days.

EDIT: Maybe that came off a bit harsh. Look, I get it, you want to help out, but the way you're going about it is unsolicited and tacky. His hack was 7 years in the making, I’m pretty sure he set up the art the way he wanted it to look. Not everything has to look like Castlevania.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:22:50 am by Rotwang »

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2015, 02:41:49 am »
Cool hack. I like Total Conversions.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2015, 01:49:05 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:02:51 am by Chpexo »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2015, 03:53:37 pm »
Not everything has to look like Castlevania.

Oh man. Where's the Castlevania looking stuff? I want to see. I loves me some Castlevania. Oh sweet Castlevania...  :)
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2015, 08:49:46 pm »
The patch is clearly labeled "Chpexo Edit", so I don't think anyone will mistake it as anything but. I appreciate enthusiasm and youthful exuberance, and I'm thrilled to have made something that has inspired people to create variations upon a theme. That said, I am the definitive word on LOI canon.

Rotwang

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2015, 09:31:41 pm »
Oh man. Where's the Castlevania looking stuff? I want to see. I loves me some Castlevania. Oh sweet Castlevania...  :)

Nothing explicitely - it's just a convenient antithesis of cartoony graphics.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2015, 09:50:33 pm »
Nothing explicitely - it's just a convenient antithesis of cartoony graphics.

I don't really think of cartoony graphics when I think of Castlevania, but I could see that if you were referring to something like Portrait of Ruin.

I am perhaps a little diappointed now...  :(

EDIT: I misread this at first. I see what you mean now.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...