News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Best versions of oft remade games  (Read 2453 times)

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
Best versions of oft remade games
« on: April 16, 2015, 04:22:22 pm »
This includes hacks and retranslations
Ok first of all I want to ask the big un
Final fantasies, which ones are the best versions content wise?
For example I would really like to know if there is actually a good version of final fantasy 2

I know for a fact  the 3d remake of final fantasy 4 has the best translation and in my opinion the most improvements.

For vanilla final fantasy tactics the IOS port has HD sprites but I rather like the "Kind of" hack that rebalances a few things and fixes some glitches.

Final fantasy 7s pc version has so many mods that if you are willing to put effort into setting it up it would be the best way to play, no idea if 8 has anywhere near as big a mod scene.

Dragon quest has a bunch of remakes and so far the ds and ios versions seem to be the best choices (Except 5 where its do you want 3d graphics or do you want more content).
Suggestions?

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
Re: Best versions of oft remade games
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 05:08:51 am »
Despite anti-piracy being built into it, Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver are the best remakes, in my opinion.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 08:57:44 pm »
Final fantasies, which ones are the best versions content wise?

For 1 I'd say either pick up FF Restored with Chaos Rush's translation, or FF Origins (GBA seems to be stuck on PS1's easy difficulty along with the MP system change, and that stays the norm in every release after that.)

For 2 I'm guessing PSP, and if that isn't it for you just play a SaGa game instead.  2 kinda needs whatever it can get from revisions, but otherwise Chaos Rush's translation and FF2 Restored's bugfixes.

Both versions of three are acceptable because they're so different: NES (use Chaos Rush's Translation again) and PC/Mobile/Most Consoles/Your Microwave.  I don't list DS because of the online requirement for some stuff, however there are ways around that last I heard.

Final Fantasy IV has a whole video about every official version because there are so many, so this doesn't have Project II or Namingway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBNLMZykxPk

V is technically Mobile/Steam due to the fast forward function making grinding easy (especially with Level 5 Death), the sword slap bug being fixed, and the sprint button being used on the map, but if you're not into the aesthetics SNES still has the best of the bunch in that department.  GBA has that extra content without looking like Sinspawn though.

VI is most likely a hack of SNES since every official re-release has some glaring flaw, but some prefer the GBA version for the extra content.  My top three are Ted Woolsey Uncensored, Retranslated, and Revised Old Style Edition.  Right now I'm more into ROSE, as it's the best hacked version of the bunch (naturally, considering SilentEnigma made it) and the most bugfixes survived out of the three (with an optional patch that removes stuff like Vanish+Doom), however they all have merit because there are just... so many of them.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 03:03:47 pm by Chronosplit »

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 08:08:00 am »
Despite anti-piracy being built into it, Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver are the best remakes, in my opinion.

Heartgold and Soulsilver are not only amazing remakes with so many QoL improvements (graphics, music, mechanics) and a lot of extra content, they're objectively one of the best (if not THE best) Pokemon game(s).
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Eldrethor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 10:36:48 am »
Heartgold and Soulsilver are not only amazing remakes with so many QoL improvements (graphics, music, mechanics) and a lot of extra content, they're objectively one of the best (if not THE best) Pokemon game(s).

The games also felt like it had a way bigger scope than any other Pokemon game. You get a complete adventure in Johto, and then start a whole new chapter in Kanto. I skipped a few games, but none of the ones I've played captured the same thrill that I felt when I first got off the boat at Vermillion City, or when I got to the top of Mount Silver to find Red.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 12:20:48 pm »
I thought the GBA version of FF2 was decent with the balance patch you can find on here. Still, more could be done with it.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.