News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ROM-Dumper Recommendations???  (Read 4122 times)

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
ROM-Dumper Recommendations???
« on: March 30, 2015, 12:00:27 pm »
Do you guys have any ROM-Dumper recommendations?

I want to be able to dump the ROMs from my cartridge collection to my hard-drive so I can modify the ROM files with the wide plethora of hack-patches and utilties available her on ROMHacking.net.

I'm looking for dumpers for
NES
SNES
SMS
GEN
GB/GBC
N64

Any help is appreciated.

PS: I've settled to use Everdrive brand flashcarts to play the hacked ROMS BACK on the original hardware.  They seem to have good reviews if you know of better flash-carts feel free to reply in this thread.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: ROM-Dumper Recommendations???
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 12:52:29 pm »
Do you want to dump ROMs or saves? I am not sure why you would want the former for with systems with such small games when the internet exists but hey. The latter is often far easier, especially as several of those systems use odd enhancement chips to augment the host system capabilities, and indeed often well within the realms of the hobbyist focused chips (arduino, raspberry pi, teensy++.... sort of thing).

Assorted links
http://reinerziegler.de/readplus.htm#Home%20made%20programming%20systems for GB/GBC
http://micro-64.com/features/gbromdumping.shtml if you are going to be using everdrive gear.
http://www.retrode.org/ (probably the better option if you would rather have something off the show room floor as it were).

I am really not seeing the need to dump games for this sort of thing though.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 09:55:45 pm »
I am really not seeing the need to dump games for this sort of thing though.
Some people want to do it fully legit by making sure they have a ROM of the EXACT version that's on their cart.

And when I dumped hundreds of games in my own collection, I actually had a couple unknown variants turn up.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 12:28:46 am »
Lots of folks seemed pretty happy with the Retrode.  The site even says there are more in production!
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 11:46:57 am »
Lots of folks seemed pretty happy with the Retrode.  The site even says there are more in production!

Thanks I found a link there to a German company named dragonbox.de.

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/consoles-and-tools/71-retrode-2-1.html

Seems nice but it doesn't have support for NES carts. 

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 11:22:41 pm »
That's the one.  The official site suggests that someone has successfully built a custom plug-in that can be used for dumping NES carts.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 08:34:24 am »
For N64 just use a GameShark/Pro Action Replay and the hacked utilities so the driver works on non win9x systems. 
Otherwise, unless you're willing to mod a dumper like the V64, Z64, of CD64 you'd need a 512Mb version of a v64jr. to dump almost all known titles.  That said, some can only be successfully dumped with a GameShark/PAR.

In both cases the computer you use would need a parallel port.  If you don't have one a USB->parallel adapter won't natively work with either, but there is a very slow driver now in development.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 10:53:12 am »

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 05:24:57 pm »
For N64 just use a GameShark/Pro Action Replay and the hacked utilities so the driver works on non win9x systems. 
Otherwise, unless you're willing to mod a dumper like the V64, Z64, of CD64 you'd need a 512Mb version of a v64jr. to dump almost all known titles.  That said, some can only be successfully dumped with a GameShark/PAR.

In both cases the computer you use would need a parallel port.  If you don't have one a USB->parallel adapter won't natively work with either, but there is a very slow driver now in development.

I have an old Win98 machine that has a parallel port and a floppy drive.