News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Super Mario RPG: Really.. odd issue.  (Read 3660 times)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Super Mario RPG: Really.. odd issue.
« on: March 31, 2015, 02:27:08 pm »
So I was able to move all the games text into the expanded space and it all loads up properly.  There is one consequence so far that I'm finding and it's really frikin weird one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAu6ktlnnYA&feature=youtu.be

For some unknown reason, it seems only the save point decides to just suddenly.. float away.  How those two even relate is well beyond me.  It happens during the compression text though.  Like when they say 'Mario' and such and it's one byte instead, it ONLY happens during that yet the code is exactly the same as the original except for adding the bank swap.  How the heck would this even happen?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:11:38 pm by justin3009 »
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Re: Super Mario RPG: Really.. odd issue.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 07:03:44 pm »
I'd guess the save block object contains position coordinates in RAM that are being wrongly manipulated or overwritten by something you did. The only way sprites can move on screen is by updating the OAM attribute table, so you can always figure it out by seeing what updates those values and working backwards. ;)

You could also more crudely undo your modifications piece by piece until it works properly again and you find the offending code.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 07:44:08 pm »
I've technically found the source but I don't understand why it would even do it except for maybe the RAM bit.  I was attempting to find that but it stores into areas that I can't view, that, or I'm somehow missing the code.  It's got me stumped as it seems like it's one of those things where I can't get to properly.

Edit: Just realized, the code is probably in that untraceable area that I mentioned in another topic :/  Hopefully it's another piece of code I did causing this otherwise this really puts a twist into things.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 04:43:50 pm by justin3009 »

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 11:54:45 am »
So I was able to move all the games text into the expanded space and it all loads up properly.  There is one consequence so far that I'm finding and it's really frikin weird one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAu6ktlnnYA&feature=youtu.be

For some unknown reason, it seems only the save point decides to just suddenly.. float away.  How those two even relate is well beyond me.  It happens during the compression text though.  Like when they say 'Mario' and such and it's one byte instead, it ONLY happens during that yet the code is exactly the same as the original except for adding the bank swap.  How the heck would this even happen?

Just curious why are you moving the game's text into expanded space. What are you planning to do with it?

My only idea is to perhaps open this modified ROM of yours in Lazy Shell editor, go to Mario's Mushroom House and click on that Save Box and see if there's an "Event" associated with it that makes it move when Mario speaks with Toad.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 02:32:16 pm »
I had to move all the text into expanded space to make room for Daisy's sprites.  Now that I was able to add the new bank code in, I could PROBABLY move the graphics out instead, or maybe, even as well.  The more things I can shove into the expanded space, the overall idea I have that it'd be easier and better to allow more customization of the game itself.

I found that the reasoning was essentially during the compressed text when bank swap was initiated, for some reason, it'd mess with the sprites data.  Sadly, I cannot trace that as it falls into the area where no emulator really traces it but still runs it.  I did find a work around but I have NO clue if it fully works.  If it doesn't, then there's a really big problem going on.

Though if I really have enough room, I may see if I can shove all text from the game out there along with item and magic scripts.  That way, they all can be fully expanded with new things AND allow for possibly new maps and stuff in the actual ROM while not destroying anything else.  The more space and more usage that's possible, the better.  Though, I'm 'fairly' certain I'm only getting half the space I wanted due to bank swap stuff.  Not sure if that's truly the case, and if it is, it'd be nice if I'm also able to access the other portion somehow as well as that would really allow a lot more to be done to the game.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 05:29:18 pm »
I hate to bring this topic back up but I sort of have to it seems.

Is there anyway I could possibly get help in figuring out 'why' this occurs?  It seems to only happen once bank swapping initiates and it loads/stores the text.. possibly only on the compression text only is when it seriously bugs I think.  I've even reverted the compression text back to normal but it still bugs up once again when it bank swaps.  I'm not entirely sure why bank swapping would cause it to suddenly overwrite data in the SA-1 chip RAM area.  Doesn't seem to make any sense to me at this point.

Would bank swapping possibly cause the RAM storages to be incorrect or something?  I'm just not quite understanding what's going on.

Edit: I think it's confirmed.. I think anyway.  It ONLY seems to bug upon the DTE text.  For some reason if it reads ANYTHING from that area it just causes the sprite data to go bonkers.

It's probably needed, I could send an IPS of what I have to see if anyone could help.  It's just an exceptionally odd bug.

Edit 2: Actually, is there anyway to have the entirety of the 6MB be constantly loaded in the ROM like normal instead of forcing a bank swap?  This might solve the problem.

Edit 3: I think I 'may' have fixed it?  I used $2221 instead of $2222 and set it to 04 like I did with $2222.  This now sets the banks to read from $D0 instead of $E0 but it doesn't interfere with the SA-1 chip.. I think, like before.  I haven't had a sprite issue since and everything seems to run as normal.  So hopefully this nails this bug for good and things can finally start being moved around and expanded!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:34:21 pm by justin3009 »