News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: English Translation for Typing of the Dead Arcade  (Read 2837 times)

twistedsymphony

• View Profile
English Translation for Typing of the Dead Arcade
« on: March 29, 2015, 04:53:59 pm »
I've got 0 experience with Rom hacking but there's something I've wanted to do for a while. I signed up in hope that I can find someone to help me or at least learn enough to do it myself.

One of my all time favorite games is Sega's Typing of the Dead. They released a Japanese language version of thi this in Arcades in Japan on the NAOMI hardware (which is very similar to the Dreamcast) as well as both Japanese and English versions for the Dreamcast and for PC. I'd like to try to modify the Arcade version to use the English language dictionary from the Dreamcast version. The PC version is only single player however, both the Dreamcast and the Arcade version support 2 players, that and the similar architecture leads me to believe that the dictionary from the Dreamcast version might be a better fit than the one from the PC version.

I own just about every variant of this game, I have the original arcade cartridge and I have the cartridge data converted to a decrypted bin file that I'm able to load via a net-boot tool onto the NAOMI hardware, this is important because it means I can test out any hacked versions on the actual hardware without having to find a way to burn the data to a cartridge (which I'm not even sure how to do). I also own the US and Japanese Dreamcast versions, the US PC release as well as the Japanese PS2 release (which is a slightly different version of the game so likely doesn't have any compilable files; it's Japanese only anyway).

If you're unfamilar with the game here are a few videos:
the Japanese Arcade version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEkoL6XBoNE
the USA Dremcast version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mgy4Ljxk3M

For me a big part of the entertainment that this game provides is the ridiculous words and phrases that the game makes you type; something that is completely lost in translation with the Japanese version.

Right now I'm having the issue of trying to figure out how to extract the files from the cartridge .bin file and figuring out how to recreate the bin file once I'm Done.. I haven't started on the Dreamcast side yet but I'd suspect getting the files will be much easier, the only trick would be identifying which file contains all of the words used in gameplay.

The Japanese version actually has the user typing out Romanji so it should already be setup for English text and I've seen people play the arcade version on actual arcade using the USA Dreamcast keyboard so keyboard compatibility shouldn't be an issue. most of the menus are already in English as well, the only other thing I wouldn't mind translating is end-level score screen.

If you're wondering why I care so much about the arcade version, we'll I'm an arcade collector, and I actually have one of these machines due to arrive at my house within the next week. I like the fact that arcade games don't have menus and I feel like it's a more clean/pure gaming experience, I'd much rather run the arcade version of the game in my cabinet than simply hooking up a Dreamcast inside of it.

If anyone has any advice that could help me with this project, or anything else that could help, it would be very much appreciated :) thanks

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: English Translation for Typing of the Dead Arcade
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 10:07:15 pm »
The PC version is only single player however
Actually, it has a network mode for 2 players, doesn't it?

I own just about every variant of this game
Even all the different PC versions?  (Someone needs to fix the Wikipedia article regarding those.)

For me a big part of the entertainment that this game provides is the ridiculous words and phrases that the game makes you type; something that is completely lost in translation with the Japanese version.
Completely?  The ridiculous words and phrases are frequently cited as a big positive of the game.

Anyway, since the arcade version still isn't emulated (right..?) and not everyone has NAOMI hardware on hand, I can't imagine a translation for this will come up anytime soon.  I for one would love to be able to play Lupin the Typing, even if I'm stuck with Romanji.  (It must surely use a similar engine.)

Maybe it would be worthwhile to see if there's any data in common between the PC and Dreamcast versions?  It would make sense if at least the dictionary data was stored the same way.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

twistedsymphony

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 07:28:10 am »
Actually, it has a network mode for 2 players, doesn't it?
I was referring to local multiplayer.

Even all the different PC versions?  (Someone needs to fix the Wikipedia article regarding those.)
AFAIK there was only 1 PC variant released in the US...
I have
-The NAOMI Arcade Release
-The USA PC Release (disc only)
-The USA Dreamcast Release
-The Japanese Dreamcast Large Keyboard Bundle
-The Japanese Dreamcast Small Keyboard Bundle
-The Japanese PS2 Keyboard Bundle

as well as
-The Typing of the Dead II (Japanese PC Release)
-The Typing of the Dead Overdrive (USA Steam Release)
-Lupin the Typing NAOMI Arcade Release

Completely?  The ridiculous words and phrases are frequently cited as a big positive of the game.
uh, yeah... if you can't understand the language you can't understand the jokes.

Anyway, since the arcade version still isn't emulated (right..?) ... I for one would love to be able to play Lupin the Typing, even if I'm stuck with Romanji.  (It must surely use a similar engine.)
I haven't tried running it in an an emulator. Though from what I understand the emulators can run these games they just don't support keyboard input.

and not everyone has NAOMI hardware on hand, I can't imagine a translation for this will come up anytime soon. 
as I stated in my first post, I'm looking for information about romhacking to help me do this myself, I'm not looking for an already complete translation.

Maybe it would be worthwhile to see if there's any data in common between the PC and Dreamcast versions?  It would make sense if at least the dictionary data was stored the same way.
That's essentially what I said I was going to do in my first post. just looking to compare the Dreamcast and NAOMI versions instead of Dreamcast and PC.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:44:32 am »
I was referring to local multiplayer.
Yes, but given that it has a multiplayer mode at all, it doesn't seem that the data format would be different merely due to a lack of local multiplayer, as you suggested.  But this is speculation, admittedly.

AFAIK there was only 1 PC variant released in the US...
Yes, the other PC versions (i.e. prior to The Typing of the Dead II) were Japan-exclusive.

uh, yeah... if you can't understand the language you can't understand the jokes.
The translation featured things like Monty Python references.  If you tried to literally translate something like that to Japanese, probably no on in Japan would get the joke; the same goes translating things the other way.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!