News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: [SNES] Marvelous - Mouhitotsu no Takarajima (Released!!) Translation Progress  (Read 46024 times)

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
I am playing with the Bizhawk emulator, set on Compatibility Mode.    Found some issues:
Bizhawk appears to be running on a BSNES core... Interesting.

There is a text bug during the PK Soccer Session, in which talking to the boy on the right would cause the dialogue to glitch.  It completely obscures the text, along with causing a Missingno effect for some of the background.
Thank you for finding this bug~! It was from a typo in a control code. It looks like there were 3 other cases of typos like this in the script. The fix for this will be in patch 1.04.

During Jim's "Don't Be Unlucky" mini-game, there are minor graphical glitches at the corners of the screen.   This seems to happen during the reward dialogue.
It looks like this happens when the luck rock icon scrolls off the screen. I'll look into replacing the game's built in luck rock icon with one of my own to see if it fixes this.
(EDIT: This is actually related to the way the game handles the number of luck rocks as the text is scrolling. Will be fixed in patch 1.04.)

The font for the letters 'm' and 'w' are too thin, causing them to be nearly unreadable.  They are noticeably different from the font around them.
When the Fishing Team members takes a fish, the "I" "l" and "!" part of their dialogue resembles the unreadable font from #2.   To quote the dialogue:
"Sweet Skills!  I'll take that."
Yesh.   "Y" and "V" this time.   I think the pattern is that letters that mirror each other are getting mucked up.   EG:  "I", "l", and "!".  "Y and V".   "W" and M".   Whenever these messed up fonts pop up, they are shadowed, unlike the white characters of readable font.  Upper and lower case like "D" and "d" seem unaffected.
Anyhow, this instance of font-ruination comes from fishing the Luck Rock from beyond the fence.
...Yeah.   During the dialogue with gathering a piece of firewood, the following letters are shadowed:   "r", "T", "Y", "i", "w", "m", "l", "!".   I really hope my next entry is for some other issue, just for variety's sake.
Numbers 3,4,5,6 are all dealing with the same issue. Essentially, when high-res mode is turned on, it seems to me like the BSNES core is not handling this correctly. I've verified that the Japanese font does the exact same blurring effect in BSNES. I'm betting this doesn't happen on real hardware. In fact, I'm relatively sure it doesn't because I've played through the original game on my SNES and there was never any blurring of the font that I can recall in high-res mode. I guess I'll need to grab my Marvelous cart out of storage to be sure. :p

In the end, I recommend using SNES9x 1.53 to play this game on a PC. Just all-around better for playing games.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:59:58 pm by DackR »

Sabin Stargem

• View Profile
In the end, I recommend using SNES9x 1.53 to play this game on a PC. Just all-around better for playing games.

When I switched over to the Xbox One gamepad, I found that SNES9x 1.53 had a problem with the shoulder triggers.   Namely, I couldn't use both triggers simultaneously.  I was going to use one of the triggers for dashing in Megaman X3, and then applying the opposing trigger to jump.    I switched over to Bizhawk and it solved that particular bugbear.   Can't have my cake and eat it too, I guess.  :(

EDIT:

I don't know if this is intentional, but it looks like some text is untranslated.   When pulling the Monkey's various bits, you can get a reaction where it becomes angry and pushes away the player.  Takes about 4 neutral responses before it gets annoyed.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:12:55 pm by Sabin Stargem »

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
I don't know if this is intentional, but it looks like some text is untranslated.   When pulling the Monkey's various bits, you can get a reaction where it becomes angry and pushes away the player.  Takes about 4 neutral responses before it gets annoyed.

Oh good! Thanks for finding that! I had wondered where that text was used (though it's been so long, I forgot all about it)! I couldn't put a context to it, so I wasn't sure how to handle it. I'll get it translated and in the next patch.

EDIT:
Before:

After:

That monkey has murder in his eyes!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 11:12:09 pm by DackR »

PPLToast

• View Profile
Just played through it 10 min ago. Not a bad game at all, some minor quirks that just make it pretty annoying. Ah well, no game's perfect.

Anyway, there were a few things I noticed:

http://i.imgur.com/cbjsm21.png Some control code error?

http://i.imgur.com/cJCOwTz.png Soldier Blue caused some bugs too when I got it... (the blurring is also noticeable here, so it does happen on 1.5.3 too)

http://i.imgur.com/oat4wAT.png
http://i.imgur.com/Q8MTiFL.png
Gina's lines in the ship also had a couple things, more control code (I guess) and the D in Behind is left out.

http://i.imgur.com/krrMYRX.png Dunno if just me or emu settings, but it seems the whole map for Mavericks cave is glitched up :( (Played on 9x 1.5.3)

http://i.imgur.com/sM12WPW.png A line break seems to be placed in between the words here in this grade.

Aside from those and the ones listed by Sabin, fucking amazing job with this patch, you guys are sick. Thanks Tashi and DackR :)

BS-X games next? :P

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
Just played through it 10 min ago. Not a bad game at all, some minor quirks that just make it pretty annoying. Ah well, no game's perfect.
Thank you so much for keeping track of these as you went through the game!! I really appreciate it!

http://i.imgur.com/cbjsm21.png Some control code error?
Yes, This one is related to the control code typo that Sabin Stargem pointed out. (I made the same mistake a few times, but all of these are fixed in v1.04)

http://i.imgur.com/cJCOwTz.png Soldier Blue caused some bugs too when I got it... (the blurring is also noticeable here, so it does happen on 1.5.3 too)
Ack! This one I missed. I forgot that it was one of the two-liners. Unfortunately, Until VWF is implemented, I've got to shorten the text here.

http://i.imgur.com/oat4wAT.png
This one was caused by the control code typo as well. Double-checked and it's fixed in v1.04.

http://i.imgur.com/Q8MTiFL.png
Gina's lines in the ship also had a couple things, more control code (I guess) and the D in Behind is left out.
This one was just me asleep at the wheel. :) Should have a fix for this shortly.

http://i.imgur.com/krrMYRX.png Dunno if just me or emu settings, but it seems the whole map for Mavericks cave is glitched up :( (Played on 9x 1.5.3)
Nice!! It's most likely caused by a graphic that I updated and re-compressed in the ROM taking more space than the original. I'll just need to figure out which one is the culprit, and relocate it to an unused spot so it doesn't break the map graphic.

http://i.imgur.com/sM12WPW.png A line break seems to be placed in between the words here in this grade.
Hmm... This one I'm not sure why it's happening. Can you send me your SRM file via a PM? I'll try to figure out why this happens with that ranking.

Aside from those and the ones listed by Sabin, fucking amazing job with this patch, you guys are sick. Thanks Tashi and DackR :)
;D Why thank you very much! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

BS-X games next? :P
Perhaps-- I've poked around in them before and it seems like a do-able project. However, I remember reading somewhere that the available ROM dumps are missing some information from the original broadcast. (not just the voice) It might turn out to be even more challenging to work on those than the main game was!   :'(

I did see that the original BSX broadcasts are available to watch on youtube... Very cool.

Sabin Stargem

• View Profile
I did something stupid, and got a graphical glitch out of it.  I suspect this isn't related to the translation patch, but here goes anyways:   After passing the wind turbines, I tried to use the fishing rod on the minion that was manning the fans.   Parts of the fans disappeared, wherever the hook and line overlapped.

John Enigma

• View Profile
Dude, your hack is appearing on ALL video game news sites. Look it up! :D :)

Sabin Stargem

• View Profile
I am not sure if the "13" puzzle is flawed.   The clue for the puzzle has 8+8 = -3, but here is the problem:  The "=" has an extra line, which can fool the player into thinking that there is special meaning behind it.   The "lg" in the clue also made me think that it might be related to the Legs puzzle, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Maybe these features were intentionally put there to throw off the player, or perhaps it just an accident.   Dunno, but there ya go.

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
I did something stupid, and got a graphical glitch out of it.  I suspect this isn't related to the translation patch, but here goes anyways:   After passing the wind turbines, I tried to use the fishing rod on the minion that was manning the fans.   Parts of the fans disappeared, wherever the hook and line overlapped.
Interesting. I tried this on the Original Japanese game and in the translation and saw no difference. Thanks for looking for bugs! You've been a huge help!

Dude, your hack is appearing on ALL video game news sites. Look it up! :D :)
Oh cool. Is there one specifically that I should look for? :)

I am not sure if the "13" puzzle is flawed.   The clue for the puzzle has 8+8 = -3, but here is the problem:  The "=" has an extra line, which can fool the player into thinking that there is special meaning behind it.   The "lg" in the clue also made me think that it might be related to the Legs puzzle, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Maybe these features were intentionally put there to throw off the player, or perhaps it just an accident.   Dunno, but there ya go.
Is this one of the puzzles on the ship first encountered in Chapter 1? I know there are a few meant to throw you off a bit, but I'm not sure I know specifically which one you are talking about.

EDIT: Nevermind. lol... Yes, that is indeed... a bug... or I guess more of an oversight on my part. I'll need to fix that. (Should read: "8+8-3=")
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:57:07 pm by DackR »

John Enigma

• View Profile
Oh cool. Is there one specifically that I should look for? :)
There's the review from Siliconera, but there are more reviews, which some of them are from Nintendo game sites (Nintendo Life, Nintendo Everything, Nintendo Everything etc.).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 02:31:14 pm by John Enigma »

Sabin Stargem

• View Profile
I think that I might have missed a puzzle in chapter 1.   In the fish pond, one of the fish is slower than the rest, and the dialogue regarding it mentions that while it won't take the line & hook, it might be possible to capture it through some other method.  I tried to corral that fish, but no luck.   Am I just fooling myself about that fish?  This is after getting the key from that pond.

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
There's the review from Siliconera, but there are more reviews, which some of them are from Nintendo game sites (Nintendo Life, Nintendo Everything, Nintendo Everything etc.).
It's weird watching someone play through the game. (One of the sites had a youtube video.) I feel like a stalker. lol...

I think that I might have missed a puzzle in chapter 1.   In the fish pond, one of the fish is slower than the rest, and the dialogue regarding it mentions that while it won't take the line & hook, it might be possible to capture it through some other method.  I tried to corral that fish, but no luck.   Am I just fooling myself about that fish?  This is after getting the key from that pond.
I don't think you're missing anything. :thumbsup:

I've been throwing around the idea of making a guide book for this game... If I do, it won't be soon. :p

By the way, I've submitted version 1.05 for approval. Barring any game-breaking bugs that may pop up, this will be the FINAL release until I finish the VWF patch-- Which I haven't done much with yet. Maybe I'll finish up Bomberman 5 and then come back to this afterwards.  >:D
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2558/

EDIT: My Marvelous Localization Tools are available here until I get around to making a proper submission for them:
https://googledrive.com/host/0B7Lih2HxwoqqLS1nWmZXenFRbmkzcUtYcVpWMEN4dw/ATI_Localization_Tools.zip

Edit: All localization tools are available on github!
https://github.com/danielburgess/Marvelous-SFC-EN
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 01:02:17 am by DackR »

Sabin Stargem

• View Profile
Found a dialogue bug for Miss Sisko.   When showing her the Mysterious Photo and picking Benson, some of her text gets layered.   EG:   "This is an example" and "Demonstration" would have both lines sharing the same space, resulting in unreadable muck.

SuFami

• View Profile
Thanks for this translation DackR! I've wanted to play this game for years.

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
Found a dialogue bug for Miss Sisko.   When showing her the Mysterious Photo and picking Benson, some of her text gets layered.   EG:   "This is an example" and "Demonstration" would have both lines sharing the same space, resulting in unreadable muck.
I'm making one Final, Final release that fixes this issue as well as fixing issues when patching from a ROM already patched with Tashi's release. v1.06. EDIT: Big thanks to forum member Alcahest for pointing out the patching issue!

Thanks for this translation DackR! I've wanted to play this game for years.
My pleasure! Thanks for playing.  :beer:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:33:37 pm by DackR »

John Enigma

• View Profile
I'm making one Final, Final release that fixes this issue as well as fixing issues when patching from a ROM already patched with Tashi's release. v1.06. EDIT: Big thanks to forum member Alcahest for pointing out the patching issue!
Just make revisions since you consider this your last version.

Tlhugnar

• View Profile
Finished playing! What a great game, thanks for the awesome translation!  :thumbsup:
While playing i just noted these:

The same as above

Some japanese text

My english isn't that good  :-[, but i think these 2 "out" aren't right

Also after the credits when miss Gina shows up the lower part of the screen glitched

None of these are gamebreaking though  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 01:16:14 pm by Tlhugnar »

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
Finished playing! What a great game, thanks for the awesome translation!  :thumbsup:
While playing i just noted these:
The same as above

Some japanese text

My english isn't that good  :-[, but i think these 2 "out" aren't right

Also after the credits when miss Gina shows up the lower part of the screen glitched

None of these are gamebreaking though  :thumbsup:

Thanks for keeping track of these as you went through the game! We'll be completely bug-free before you know it. ;)
A couple of these should be fixed in the latest revision. Do you happen to know which patch you used? You can check the readme, and alternatively I can tell what revision of the translation the rom is patched to by checking the snes header info. I can tell you where to look for the revision byte a little later today hopefully. (I'll check my notes.)

Tlhugnar

• View Profile
I forgot to mention on the last post that polly's letter on chapter 4 skips some text before you can read  :(

I used the ips Version 1.05 on an unpatched rom  :thumbsup:

John Enigma

• View Profile
So @DackR,

Does that mean that this game doesn't have anymore bugs?