News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: [SNES] Marvelous - Mouhitotsu no Takarajima (Released!!) Translation Progress  (Read 46803 times)

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Wow. The patch was unexpected (guess I forgot, LOL). Unfortunately I tried two different ROMs (both without headers) and both had this sort of issue:

And the game froze once Winky received the 3 keys. Any suggestions?

I'm really excited to play this. :)
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
Wow. The patch was unexpected (guess I forgot, LOL). Unfortunately I tried two different ROMs (both without headers) and both had this sort of issue:

And the game froze once Winky received the 3 keys. Any suggestions?

I'm really excited to play this. :)
Which emulator is that? I would guess by the screenshot, ZSNES?

I recommend SNES9X 1.53 as most other emulators are not capable of running this game properly if at all.

Happy gaming! :)

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Problem solved. Thanks. :D

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
I found a game-breaking bug. Please stand by while I fix it. I'll have a patch together shortly. :banghead:

...A few Minutes later...

I had to relocate some event graphics because they were corrupting the display of any treasure box sequence (and crashing the game afterwards  :-[).

The patch has been updated. Re-download and re-patch. Everything should now be working properly. Please let me know if any other bugs are found.
(Link Removed- Check First post in this topic for a patch link.)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:22:08 pm by DackR »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
I think the game is using high-resolution.
I don't know if other emulators have the same problem ZSNES does: high-resolution mode is only supported at certain (PC) resolutions, I think.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
I think the game is using high-resolution.
I don't know if other emulators have the same problem ZSNES does: high-resolution mode is only supported at certain (PC) resolutions, I think.

Hmm. I wonder if this is why some of the I's and M's were blurred when I played this. I didn't notice it on SNES9x though.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 01:53:10 am by SunGodPortal »

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
Oh this is so exciting! I can't wait until I get a free minute to check it out. :D

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
I've updated the patch link in the original topic post.

I've added update patch files for Tashi's original translation, expanded the ROM size to a more standard 0x400000 (4194304) bytes, and added some more information to the readme file.

If you downloaded the fixed version last night, you don't really need this. However, this will come in handy to those of you who only have a ROM file that's been patched with Tashi's translation.

---------------------
12/19/2015 (4:12PM EST) - A bug has been reported for the Journal save menu when using the Save&Quit option. Some garbage appears after saving a Journal Entry. I've prepared a fix for this issue. Since this is a non-critical issue, I'll wait a bit before rebuilding the patch and releasing it-- just in case other issues are reported that need to be addressed between now and then.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 04:14:39 pm by DackR »

mikeprado30

• View Profile
Thanks for your great effort!

I'll be enjoying for sure this patch those Holidays :)

meunierd

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for seeing this project to completion. The graphics work is stunning!

SORASUNYU

• View Profile
The logo of Nintendo in the title screen is too small…

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
The logo of Nintendo in the title screen is too small…
For a moment, I thought you were talking about the logo that comes up as the game boots. lol But yeah... sacrifices were made there.

varikares

• View Profile
I love this game so much. Thank you so much for finishing this translation, you've just given me an excuse to replay it

I have a question though, does the game still crash in chapter 3 when you give a chili to the scaredy-cat guy in the room with the jukebox, like it did in tashi's patch?

SORASUNYU

• View Profile

I think it'll be a bit better 8)

December 25, 2015, 01:01:06 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 01:01:08 am by SORASUNYU »

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page

I think it'll be a bit better 8)

December 25, 2015, 01:01:06 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I see. I will consider changing it for the next version if enough people complain about it.

I love this game so much. Thank you so much for finishing this translation, you've just given me an excuse to replay it

I have a question though, does the game still crash in chapter 3 when you give a chili to the scaredy-cat guy in the room with the jukebox, like it did in tashi's patch?

It's my pleasure. I've enjoyed working on this game very much.

In response to your question, there were a few places that I found in the original translation that froze the game due to missing/misplaced control codes. Much of what you see in this release comes from a careful, line-by-line editing process.

I've personally compared every script line in the Japanese version to each corresponding line in Tashi's version. If I found control codes out of place, I've restored them. If I found that the translation didn't convey the original intent, I re-wrote the line. If a translation was missing, I added one. My version was not meant to merely fix the previous version, but it's a complete re-tooling of the entire process. If you find that there is a bug in this version, please let me know. I don't currently know of any. :)

SORASUNYU

• View Profile
Thank you :D

butane bob

• View Profile
As it's no longer 1998, nobody in their right mind should be using zsnes.  :o

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
As it's no longer 1998, nobody in their right mind should be using zsnes.  :o

I'm not a big emulator user. I only use them for the 3-5 games I actually want to play that my Powerpak doesn't support (that I still usually don't end up playing because I would rather play in front of a CRT than my laptop). More often I'll use ZSNES for hacking purposes.

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
I'm interested to hear if anyone has completed a play-through of this translation yet? Any feedback? I guess just let me know...

Until then, I'll assume it's perfect.  8)

Sabin Stargem

• View Profile
I am playing with the Bizhawk emulator, set on Compatibility Mode.    Found some issues:

There is a text bug during the PK Soccer Session, in which talking to the boy on the right would cause the dialogue to glitch.  It completely obscures the text, along with causing a Missingno effect for some of the background.

During Jim's "Don't Be Unlucky" mini-game, there are minor graphical glitches at the corners of the screen.   This seems to happen during the reward dialogue.

The font for the letters 'm' and 'w' are too thin, causing them to be nearly unreadable.  They are noticeably different from the font around them.

When the Fishing Team members takes a fish, the "I" "l" and "!" part of their dialogue resembles the unreadable font from #2.   To quote the dialogue:

"Sweet Skills!  I'll take that."

Yesh.   "Y" and "V" this time.   I think the pattern is that letters that mirror each other are getting mucked up.   EG:  "I", "l", and "!".  "Y and V".   "W" and M".   Whenever these messed up fonts pop up, they are shadowed, unlike the white characters of readable font.  Upper and lower case like "D" and "d" seem unaffected.

Anyhow, this instance of font-ruination comes from fishing the Luck Rock from beyond the fence.

...Yeah.   During the dialogue with gathering a piece of firewood, the following letters are shadowed:   "r", "T", "Y", "i", "w", "m", "l", "!".   I really hope my next entry is for some other issue, just for variety's sake.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 05:22:57 am by Sabin Stargem »