Super super excited to see this being seen through to completion!
August 29, 2015, 01:29:19 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
At least they seem to have put some thought into the artwork they used... I've followed some of these guy's older projects like the custom consoles and such. I guess that's why it surprises me that they'd use the old, incomplete patch because from what I've seen of them in the past, they've had some really nice-looking products. Of course, I don't know much of what goes on in people's heads who sell things like this. I like to think it's for the love of the game. But... I suppose I'd probably be disappointed.
By the way, I've just started playing through Dark Half. I'm always pleasantly surprised at the quality of your work. You get on IRC much nowadays?
For everything we do, it's because of love for whatever the product is. That's essentially our business model. "This is awesome. I want to play it. I'm gonna make myself a copy. Hey, wonder if anyone else would want this as well?" I've owned a JP copy of Marvelous for about 10 years and was beyond frustrated that I was never able to enjoy it. We DID use the incomplete patch for our initial release. I honestly didn't think it would sell, not to mention that there are only 5 suitable donors and they're all JP-only titles, so collecting up enough carts to make a full run worthwhile took more work than usual. Not to mention that it's a pretty non-traditional repro from a build standpoint (we did NOT go the messy 27C322 route, as it's far too time consuming and wouldn't have worked with the semi-transparent cart shells that we made for the release).
Anyway, we were quite surprised by the response and we sold them all in a day or two. So we have plans for a second run. In fact, all the cart shells, boxes, maps, and manuals are long-since done, and I just need to get off my butt to flash the chips and do a little soldering. Buuuuuuut, we would LOVE LOVE LOVE to use a complete translation! I try to reach out to the translator/hacker before we produce a title. I reached out to the fellow who did the incomplete translation, but never heard back
At the very least, we always offer up a copy of our release to the translator/hacker. Don't know if this is something that you'd be ok with or not, but as stated before, would love to have a complete version of this. We'll gladly credit your work in the manual as well if you'd like. If you're interested, then shoot an email over to firstname.lastname@example.org and it'll find its way to me
Worse in that there's probably not too many crap SA1 games with saving. Good games destroyed!
Actually, 3 of the 5 suitable donors are quite plentiful (one of those being Mervelous itself). 2 of those 3 aren't going to be missed by much, if anyone at all. One of them is fairly obscure (though not valuable), and the last is fairly common, but typically the most expensive of the 5 possible donors.
In my personal opinion, the only viable SA-1 donor worth saving of the bunch is Marvelous. I think about 25% of our donors ended up being Marvelous itself, with the other 75% being the two super common "crap" games which nobody is going to miss.
Again, we make what we do because we love it! We use all new materials/parts/boards whenever possible, unfortunately this game (obviously) doesn't allow for that :/