News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [SNES] Marvelous - Mouhitotsu no Takarajima (Released!!) Translation Progress  (Read 44628 times)

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
Coming soon...

This isn't implemented yet in-game, but it'll probably end up looking somewhat like this. I just coded the preview in the script editor.

Lestat

• View Profile
 :woot!:

Yeah, it's a nice new!

Your tool will support auto-wrapping? (It's could be easiest for foreigners translators)

Well done :)

martinvsamuelsson

• View Profile
Looks great :)

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
:woot!:

Yeah, it's a nice new!

Your tool will support auto-wrapping? (It's could be easiest for foreigners translators)

Well done :)

Thanks for the support!

I'm working on getting auto-wrapping added as a feature for the script editor. This is something that I will also need before I can finish the English script-- unless I want to go through the translation line-by-line once more... Which I am tempted to do, but would like to avoid. One thing that I've already implemented is the automatic addition of the control codes for new lines, so at least that piece is done.

sub_atomic

• View Profile
Still need to modify the tile map, but here is a quickly corrected version:

I'm so excited for this! I've been waiting for a complete translation to play Marvelous. Fantastic work so far, many thanks for putting in all this effort!

If I can offer my 2 cents: did you include the hyphens in the "Camp Tips" to make it clear that the lines on the left correspond to the actions on the right? I'm a layout artist by profession, so this sort of thing sticks out to me. I think the meaning would be clear without the hyphens, and it would look cleaner. Just my opinion, take it or leave it.  :)

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
I'm so excited for this! I've been waiting for a complete translation to play Marvelous. Fantastic work so far, many thanks for putting in all this effort!

If I can offer my 2 cents: did you include the hyphens in the "Camp Tips" to make it clear that the lines on the left correspond to the actions on the right? I'm a layout artist by profession, so this sort of thing sticks out to me. I think the meaning would be clear without the hyphens, and it would look cleaner. Just my opinion, take it or leave it.  :)

Thank you so much! I appreciate your take on the layout. I knew something looked odd, but couldn't put my finger on it. I'll change this for the final version.

I'm currently trying to identify the VWF routine in Zelda ALTTP. My theory is that since so much of the engine is similar between these two games, that I should be able to port the text display routine. My inexperience with such things is slowing me down. :) I'm persistent to a fault, but if someone wants to step up and just do it for me, you are more than welcome... 'cause this will probably take me a while to figure out.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Does LTTP even have a VWF?  Looks like it's just generic 16x16.  The whole dialogue system in that game needs an overhaul anyhow, it's very clunky and slow.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
I was sure I already knew the answer but had to check again to be sure, but yes ALttP definitely does have VWF in the western releases.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

n3lly

• View Profile
Amazing work.

Apologies if this is out of line, but when could we expect a final release? I understand that a significant amount of material has already been translated.

As an English speaker blissfully unaware of this title until yesterday, I cannot thank you enough for the work you're putting into this.

martinvsamuelsson

• View Profile
There is a somewhat incomplete translation available.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
I believe that's exactly what this project is: finishing that incomplete translation.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

martinvsamuelsson

• View Profile
I wasn't sure he knew, seemed to be eager to play the game. Just letting the guy know he can.

n3lly

• View Profile
Yes, I am aware. A complete translation would just be more preferable honestly. I'm not sure why either, I know it's more of a compulsive bother.

Edit: I now see DackR's post on the VFW routing. Guess I'll be monitoring this thread from now on.

wiggy

• View Profile
Super super excited to see this being seen through to completion!

August 29, 2015, 01:29:19 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
At least they seem to have put some thought into the artwork they used... I've followed some of these guy's older projects like the custom consoles and such. I guess that's why it surprises me that they'd use the old, incomplete patch because from what I've seen of them in the past, they've had some really nice-looking products. Of course, I don't know much of what goes on in people's heads who sell things like this. I like to think it's for the love of the game. But... I suppose I'd probably be disappointed.

By the way, I've just started playing through Dark Half. I'm always pleasantly surprised at the quality of your work. You get on IRC much nowadays?

For everything we do, it's because of love for whatever the product is.  That's essentially our business model. "This is awesome. I want to play it. I'm gonna make myself a copy. Hey, wonder if anyone else would want this as well?"  I've owned a JP copy of Marvelous for about 10 years and was beyond frustrated that I was never able to enjoy it. We DID use the incomplete patch for our initial release. I honestly didn't think it would sell, not to mention that there are only 5 suitable donors and they're all JP-only titles, so collecting up enough carts to make a full run worthwhile took more work than usual.  Not to mention that it's a pretty non-traditional repro from a build standpoint (we did NOT go the messy 27C322 route, as it's far too time consuming and wouldn't have worked with the semi-transparent cart shells that we made for the release).

Anyway, we were quite surprised by the response and we sold them all in a day or two. So we have plans for a second run. In fact, all the cart shells, boxes, maps, and manuals are long-since done, and I just need to get off my butt to flash the chips and do a little soldering. Buuuuuuut, we would LOVE LOVE LOVE to use a complete translation!  I try to reach out to the translator/hacker before we produce a title. I reached out to the fellow who did the incomplete translation, but never heard back :(

At the very least, we always offer up a copy of our release to the translator/hacker. Don't know if this is something that you'd be ok with or not, but as stated before, would love to have a complete version of this. We'll gladly credit your work in the manual as well if you'd like.  If you're interested, then shoot an email over to service@rosecoloredgaming.com and it'll find its way to me :)

Cheers,
 Wiggy

Worse in that there's probably not too many crap SA1 games with saving. Good games destroyed! >:(

Actually, 3 of the 5 suitable donors are quite plentiful (one of those being Mervelous itself). 2 of those 3 aren't going to be missed by much, if anyone at all.  One of them is fairly obscure (though not valuable), and the last is fairly common, but typically the most expensive of the 5 possible donors.

In my personal opinion, the only viable SA-1 donor worth saving of the bunch is Marvelous.  I think about 25% of our donors ended up being Marvelous itself, with the other 75% being the two super common "crap" games which nobody is going to miss.

Again, we make what we do because we love it!  We use all new materials/parts/boards whenever possible, unfortunately this game (obviously) doesn't allow for that :/
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 08:41:34 pm by wiggy »

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
Finally some more progress!!
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2015, 12:49:22 pm »
Getting closer guys.

I've finally figured out the first puzzle on chapter one! (Noses, bird legs, ant legs, spider legs) This is now displaying correctly!

The chore list is finally complete as well! I figured out the main tile map months ago, but there are separate tile maps for each chore list state.

I've made a YouTube video of me bumbling through the hacking of the chore list. Maybe it will help people who are interested in getting into this sort of thing, I dunno. I'm pretty bad at keeping terminology straight. (I believe in the video I keep referring to the indexed tile definitions as the tile map, and the tile map as the tile index... So if that kind of thing annoys you, don't watch it. lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia7YvVPumf4

More to come...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 01:51:50 pm by DackR »

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
how's it going? Also did the original game use Alttp Engine?
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
how's it going? Also did the original game use Alttp Engine?

There needs to be a completed test run of the game and then I'll be doing a general release without a vwf implementation.

I'll work on vwf when I have time... But a vwf release is probably not going to happen for months...

Also this game was designed by some of the people who worked on alttp. The engine seems to be based on the same engine as alttp.

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
Counting down to release day... This Friday, the 18th of December, I'll release the current version of Marvelous- Another Treasure Island.

I'm currently organizing all of my development files used to translate this game. The release of these tools will coincide with the release of the patch.

I've updated the title screen with a hand-drawn version for the final release:

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Awesome. Can't wait.

Also, I've read a few of your recent updates and I like your taste in games. :)
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
Awesome. Can't wait.

Also, I've read a few of your recent updates and I like your taste in games. :)

Why, thank you. :)

The time has come to release the final non-vwf english version!!

The patch is awaiting approval under the submissions queue.

Here is a link to the patch until it gets approved:
(Link Removed- Check first post in the topic for the latest patch.)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:22:55 pm by DackR »