News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [SNES] Marvelous - Mouhitotsu no Takarajima (Released!!) Translation Progress  (Read 44703 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Marvelous Progress
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 10:10:04 am »
A cursive font!
Haven't seen that squiggly writing in some time. ;D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 01:42:43 pm »
lol... I take it that you like the font? I appreciate all feedback.  ;)

I had to change the intro palette to allow for more shading on the letters. I like it better than my first version. However, I still don't have it all arranged, and aligned to my satisfaction.

Off-Topic:
Is it weird that I feel like we are old friends mike? I know we never talk now, but I remember 10 years ago or so when we were both on the Emuxhaven forums... Yeah, we talked a few times... briefly. lol

yuka

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 03:59:29 am »
This game looks like a lot fun! Thanks for working on it!  :)

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2015, 08:24:56 pm »
Did a little more today graphical work today.... Original, and then Modified graphic:

Nearly final. Probably wont change it for a while, but it's close to how I pictured it in my head.

Also added multi-threading support to the script builder portion of the Marvelous hacking tool so it is somewhere between 4-8x faster. This just makes it that much faster to check out script changes in game... The preview window has proven very accurate indeed...

This game looks like a lot fun! Thanks for working on it!  :)
My pleasure. Seriously, it's actually a lot of fun to work on. :)

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 12:44:24 pm »
MORE PROGRESS!

I've been working on this nearly every day for the last few months. Persistence pays off in my case. I'm nearly finished revising the script and translating pieces of the script that were missing in Tashi's patch. I've also fixed several bugs relating to a few missing control codes, and mistakenly missing text in Tashi's translation. Essentially, I've gone over nearly every line in the script making tweaks here and there, occasionally completely changing things so they more closely match the original.

Also: One major thing to note- I'm thinking of changing the name of the troubleshooter bird from "Pirroc" to what I think more closely matches the original intent: "Pluck." So the bird that gives you hints would be referred to in the script as "Pluck"... Feedback? Outrage? Please let me know if you feel that this is incorrect. 

Relating to tile maps:
So before, I was having trouble locating the tile maps for all the stored images containing Japanese text. This was causing me to make sacrifices regarding the re-use of certain tiles in the original image, resulting in a sometimes funky-looking result. Well, fear not, because I've now figured it out. It was only difficult because the tile maps are compressed separately from the graphics data, and since the decompressed data all looks the same if you aren't sure what to look for, it took me longer than I had hoped. This will accelerate the completion of the translation.

What is left to be completed:
(5th) Script Revision: ~85%
Graphics hacks: 40% (but due to recent breakthroughs, should be finished much more quickly)
Chapter titles: 30%
Menus: 15%
VWF: 0%

Percentages are not indicative of time required to finish a particular item. I am considering a release of the game excluding a Variable Width Font due to time constraints and my inexperience with the subject. Most of my time thus far has been dedicated to revising the script, but I'll be focusing on finishing graphics hacks within the next few weeks.

TO MY FOREIGN FRIENDS: To anyone who wishes to translate the game into any other languages, I can make any and all of my tools available to you which should make it MUCH easier to complete a translation into just about any other language. Also, if anyone would want to work on parts of the game that I haven't spent much time on yet such as documenting and hacking menus, this is welcome as well.

Hopefully, I'll be posting screenshots soon for those who like to see that kind of thing. ;)

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
I'd definitely go with Pluck rather than Pirroc. I'm a firm believer that capturing the intent of the original is more important than a literal translation.

naxis

• View Profile
I'm definitely excited about the prospect of this game being completely translated, and I'm sure others are too.

Keep up the good job!

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
Progress Screeshots!
Figured out some things related to the various menus...

Original Team Naming Screen:

Latest Team Naming Screen:

Chapter 1 Title Original:

Latest Chapter 1 title:

Original Chore List:

Latest Chore List (Note that I've excluded the last line that essentially said "All Done"... might add it back later.):

Some screenshots showing off the new font (thinking about using ALTTP font. Should look better once VWF is implemented.):

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
These look really nice, but I'd caution you about using an overly thin font when the SNES's 512px width mode is enabled. Your Ch1 "Island Summer Camp" screen will be very difficult to read if anyone runs this on a flash cartridge if any ever get SA-1 working.

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
very nice work. Are you working with Rosedcoloredgaming, or are they releasing a repro game with the old patch?

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
These look really nice, but I'd caution you about using an overly thin font when the SNES's 512px width mode is enabled. Your Ch1 "Island Summer Camp" screen will be very difficult to read if anyone runs this on a flash cartridge if any ever get SA-1 working.
Thanks for the warning. I've been working on an SA-1 flash cart just for my personal use-- You've given me motivation to get it finished so I can test out different fonts on a CRT. :) I want to avoid moving things around on this screen as much as possible. This means we may end up with more abbreviations... eww...

very nice work. Are you working with Rosedcoloredgaming, or are they releasing a repro game with the old patch?
No way!! I had no idea they were working on this, so unless one of my testers has leaked a patch, it's very doubtful. It seems strange that they would use Tashi's old version though. Maybe they are working on their own patch??? That would knock the wind out of my sails a bit... But at the same time, I really think this game deserves a well-polished release... I hope they don't screw the pooch.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
No way!! I had no idea they were working on this, so unless one of my testers has leaked a patch, it's very doubtful. It seems strange that they would use Tashi's old version though.

What, are you kidding? The vast majority of repro makers are in this for a quick buck. I have no doubts that it's Tashi's old patch, and that they just don't care so long as they make a few dollars.

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
What, are you kidding? The vast majority of repro makers are in this for a quick buck. I have no doubts that it's Tashi's old patch, and that they just don't care so long as they make a few dollars.
At least they seem to have put some thought into the artwork they used... I've followed some of these guy's older projects like the custom consoles and such. I guess that's why it surprises me that they'd use the old, incomplete patch because from what I've seen of them in the past, they've had some really nice-looking products. Of course, I don't know much of what goes on in people's heads who sell things like this. I like to think it's for the love of the game. But... I suppose I'd probably be disappointed.

By the way, I've just started playing through Dark Half. I'm always pleasantly surprised at the quality of your work. You get on IRC much nowadays?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Worse in that there's probably not too many crap SA1 games with saving. Good games destroyed! >:(
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
Worse in that there's probably not too many crap SA1 games with saving. Good games destroyed! >:(

Indeed. I can't think of any I wouldn't be sad to see mangled. I hope SD2SNES adds support soon. Would make things much easier.

June 29, 2015, 08:02:59 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
More progress!

Control explanation - Before:

Control explanation - WIP:

Control explanation - Done:

Camp Tips - Before:

Camp Tips - WIP:

Camp Tips - Done:

Neither of these are literal translations, but it give the essence of what is there.

I've got 3 or 4 more of these to go... Hooray!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:06:14 pm by DackR »

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
I've finished translating the credits for marvelous. I've been working on various other graphics in the game as well. Here are some screenshots.  :D

Chapter 3 Sign Before:

Chapter 3 Sign WIP:

Chapter 3 Sign After:

martinvsamuelsson

• View Profile
Great to see that this is being worked on!
Would love to make swedish version, did you release the tools you built?

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
You misspelled "Remember" in one of your screenshots. 3 E's, not four.

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
Great to see that this is being worked on!
Would love to make swedish version, did you release the tools you built?

I have not released my tools to the general public yet. Send me a PM with your email address and we shall discuss. I can help you get started. :)

You misspelled "Remember" in one of your screenshots. 3 E's, not four.

Thanks for pointing that out! I appreciate it. I blame it on lack of sleep.  :D

Still need to modify the tile map, but here is a quickly corrected version:

martinvsamuelsson

• View Profile
I did, check your inbox :)