News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Reconstructed  (Read 99164 times)

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy Reconstructed
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2015, 04:10:00 pm »
In Final Fantasy IV when you do on the coast of land a wave sound effect plays. I myself created a wave effect with some seagulls:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/i4gg735a6e32guw/beachy.ftm
Sounds great, but it would be much improved if the tweets wouldn't come so regularly. They should be somewhat random.

Also I don't see how this is related to Final Fantasy in any way. There is no such sound in FF4 and I am well placed to know it since I ported manually every single song and sound effect of the game to GBA format.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2015, 04:40:59 pm »
Bird sounds would get irritating after grinding for a while

Idk about birds man they're frankly a little annoying IRL. And they are downright evil in games, historically.
Yamero~~!

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2015, 08:03:18 pm »
Bird sounds would get irritating after grinding for a while

Idk about birds man they're frankly a little annoying IRL. And they are downright evil in games, historically.

The first Final Fantasy game that I specifically remember that had "bird sounds" was in VI. I like the idea of adding additional SFX if possible, but I have to agree that unless its random it might get old. I think adding the sound to play randomly during the sea voyages would probably sound pretty good though, as long as it was interspersed in occurrence. Really glad that this project has generated so much interest.

Although I haven't had a chance to do much with the game for the last few days, I did decide to swap my "Sage" and "Black Wizard" sprites, although this time both sprite sets use the Brown/Gold/Blue color scheme. I decided to give the "Sage" a brown colored robe because of his resemblance to a "young" Tellah from IV, and it made sense that the color between White and Black would be a "Grey" or Brown color. Using the brown robe seemed to illustrate that he walked the path between the magical poles.

Also, I am considering relegating the Red Mage/Sage character to the different axes within the game. For real, there's never a reason to give any of the characters an axe throughout most of the game because there's always a sword that has better attack and hit percentage stats. Having one character who only could use axes seemed a way to force the player to use the weapons instead of just selling them every time a new one is picked up. I'm also largely cutting out "duplicates" within the game. Like the 2 Light Axes within the Sunken Shrine are going to be reduced to one. The only item that will probably allow for duplicates is a second Heal Staff that Grond included in his Bahamut's dungeon and the Ribbons. I'm going to leave what I believe is 4 Ribbons in the game just in case the player wants to use all mages or crazy party combinations. I've also allowed the Red Mage/Sage character to use some more advanced armor, and the Thief can now use the wooden shield and copper armor. It just didn't make much sense to me that most of the armor that is available at the beginning of the game can only be used by the Fighter.

The "dynamic action patch" certainly changes the way that the battles play out. Where a 4 monster party of Frost Dragons used to be scary, as long as its not an ambush, the threat level is largely removed. The way that I've been beta testing is basically fight whatever battle occurs and level up accordingly. The only real time that the player has to "grind" is around the Marsh Cave to get to around level 10-12 to defeat Astos. After that, the Giant's tunnel in the Terra Cave basically allows for quick grinding up to level 15 or so, which is pretty much sufficient to make it through the rest of the Terra cave. I did tinker a little with the starting stats of the Red Mage and Thief as well and I basically nerfed the Red Mage a little and made the Thief stronger, and with greater life. While I think that I made him a little TOO strong, I'm definitely going to keep that idea of the Thief as a capable fighter that is balanced by the inability to use heavy armor. The upgraded equipment that is geared towards the Ninja/Master (Genji Armor pieces) make it worth it to have a Thief/Ninja in the party. Just some updates to the project. I am eager to hear some of the new musical compositions that are coming, so stay tuned.
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/DevilHunterMiyumi/

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 22, 2015, 08:42:49 pm »
Music engine complete, documented, and *mostly* tested.  Though I didn't actually try writing any music for it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ic1q58jztkfq0y4/ffnamcot.zip?dl=0

ROM + documentation.  Be ready to hex edit.

Ask me if documentation is unclear, and let me know if there are any bugs/problems.

EDIT:

Ugh I just realized I forgot to document out sound effects work.  ugh.  Oh well, that's not an issue for composers anyway.  I'll deal with it later.

EDIT 2:

Re-uploaded with a fix (forgot to initialize something).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:50:09 pm by Disch »

NARFNra

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 22, 2015, 10:30:31 pm »
Looks good. I've been a little out of it so I haven't started working yet, but I'll try and test it out with a cover of FFIV's Into the Darkness.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2015, 02:04:53 am »
Also, FYI, I forgot to mention it in the doc, but the triangle plays 1 octave lower than everything else.  So C-3 is middle C for Triangle, but C-2 is middle C for everything else.

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 26, 2015, 02:16:02 pm »
removed

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 08:43:16 am by Duke2go »
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 26, 2015, 02:44:46 pm »
Wow. The more I look at screenshots the more I want to play it. It's almost like a whole new game.

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 26, 2015, 02:51:17 pm »
Wow. The more I look at screenshots the more I want to play it. It's almost like a whole new game.

Thank you as always  :beer:

It was said earlier in this thread (and pardon me for not looking back through to see exactly who said it) that this was what Square could have done if they had made one more Final Fantasy NES game. In a lot of respects, I'm treating this almost like FF 4 NES, meaning that I'm trying to push the graphics as far as I can within the limitations of the NES hardware to go beyond even FFIII JP wherever possible. While the game stays true to the original FFI NES in most respects, it definitely has a feeling of a brand new Final Fantasy adventure while you're playing it. I'm still aiming to have initial beta releases to the people that I've spoken to on June 1, but the ASM coding and new music won't be done for a bit, so that will give the beta testers plenty of time to give feedback before a final version is released. Thank you again for the support and constructive feedback. Can't wait to see what you think of the finished product  :thumbsup:

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 26, 2015, 04:25:26 pm »
I was having trouble making sense of where the Red Wizard's limbs are going, but upon closer inspection it looks like his arms are crossed. Is that right?

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 26, 2015, 04:41:56 pm »
I was having trouble making sense of where the Red Wizard's limbs are going, but upon closer inspection it looks like his arms are crossed. Is that right?

Yep, you guessed it. Although, that isn't going to be the final Red Wizard any more. He was inspired by a GIF image that I found on the Final Fantasy Wiki under custom sprites. That person, who I have credited but couldn't get ahold of, made what appeared to be a 16 bit version of what looked like a Black Mage/Red Mage hybrid. I liked it, so I decided to give one of the wizards a more "edgy" look. I just ended up liking him better as the Black Wizard and have since changed him to reflect those colors. The Sage (which is what my Red Wizard is now) is actually the brown and blue "Tellah" looking sprite now. After a conversation with Grimoire LD about his Final Fantasy IV hack, I thought that making the Sage a younger version of "Tellah" would work out ok. Instead of making him red though, I changed his robe to a brown to reflect a mixture of black and white magics.  I really wanted the class change characters to look like they were more capable than their pre-class change counterparts, and the "edgy" looks of many of them kind of reflected that. Glad that you liked the bestiary pics  :beer:

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 26, 2015, 06:39:00 pm »
Great looking screens!  Really makes me want to play it.  :D

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 26, 2015, 06:56:02 pm »
Great looking screens!  Really makes me want to play it.  :D

Thank you my friend. I'm hopefully going through my last beta run-through right now. Still tweaking some small stuff, and I need to re-do the treasure placement throughout the levels I'm sure, but I'm seriously hoping for June 1 to send you guys the beta testing patches. I'm taking today to do some alterations since I actually had some time. I know a few of the teleports aren't pointed right, so I'm changing things as I go through. Glad there is interest building even more  :thumbsup:

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 26, 2015, 07:17:13 pm »
I love that bestiary you have set up! A great variety from FFI-IV. Also all of the classes are looking pretty good, but the Sage sprite, something looks a little off... the perspective almost makes it look like the Sage has a hunchback, which would be odd, considering the Red Mage doesn't have that sort of issue.

All in all this project is shaping up tremendously and I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 26, 2015, 08:22:11 pm »
I love that bestiary you have set up! A great variety from FFI-IV. Also all of the classes are looking pretty good, but the Sage sprite, something looks a little off... the perspective almost makes it look like the Sage has a hunchback, which would be odd, considering the Red Mage doesn't have that sort of issue.

All in all this project is shaping up tremendously and I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Which version are you referring to? The correct classes should be as of right now:

Sorry, I didn't really put a lot of effort into that graphic and basically just copy/pasted images from some of the battle shots that I'd done. It doesn't reflect the name changes that I've made, but you get the gist. If its what I think you were referring to, its a cowl I think you would call it, or essentially just a hood that is pulled back so that you can see his hair and face.

Thank you for the interest and kind words. I'm going to eventually put together a "true" bestiary with all the HP/MP values, exp, gold, and possible special abilities/spells used. That is all eventually going to be put into the strategy guide that I'm going to eventually compile that I've talked about briefly before.

May 30, 2015, 06:59:31 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Well, its the 30th of May and I have good news and bad news to report.

The good news is, I made up a simple teaser trailer for the project which can be seen at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g4MtejuAI&feature=youtu.be

It was really just a way to mess with some of the FMVs from the other games and make something pretty.

Now for the bad news. I successfully beta tested all the way to Chaos the other night, but there was something buggy with the game and I couldn't get it to work in order to beat the game. So, rather than giving out beta versions that couldn't be beaten, I exported all of my maps using FFHackster and re-applied them to an unaltered version of the hack that I began with. While this has removed some of the bugfix and balance patches, it is my hope that this will remove the bug and allow me to re-work everything from an unaltered state. In the end, I think that this is going to be better because I really don't know how the different patches that I applied previously affected the game. What I'm going to do is create a "vanilla" version that is based upon the original Final Fantasy I framework, a second version that has the "dynamic action" patches applied, and then the final "Reconstructed" version that will have the updated soundtrack. I'm sorry that my beta testers will have to wait a little longer, but I think in the end this will work out the best for everyone involved. Have a great weekend everyone.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 05:22:34 am by Duke2go »

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 05, 2015, 01:04:21 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 08:48:54 am by Chpexo »

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 05, 2015, 10:59:59 pm »
Glad you are waiting to release a quality product, it is appreciated by the community.  :)

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 05, 2015, 11:44:21 pm »
That stinks that you had to start over due to a bug. Hopefully you got everything worked out by now.

Glad you are waiting to release a quality product, it is appreciated by the community.  :)

Thank you. I was quite upset when I played the original version all the way to Chaos and it bugged out on me. I honestly think that the problem actually really lies with the fact that I never bothered to eliminate the "Nasir checksum" value, even though Disch told me to before. I'm a lot happier so far with the new version that I've come up with. Re-importing the maps into the "vanilla" Rebalanced and Bugfixed rom image that I started with so far seems a lot more stable anyway. I have been testing with only the patches to remove the menu music change and the Dynamic action patches, just to make sure that there weren't conflicts with the code changes that I'd made. Basically I want to make sure that it can be beaten before I give anyone a beta for testing. It really was anti-climactic to enjoy the whole thing and then not be able to defeat Chaos. With the checksum eliminated, so far, no problems during battle. It seemed to bug more when I was fighting the later Fiends too (Kraken/Tiamat). I haven't gone through and redone the different palettes for the monsters yet, but I probably will tonight. I want to get the image changed beta ready and then I can learn to do the ASM changes for the final releases. Thank you both for your interest and assistance during this process.

Addendum: I had the chance to hear some of the new compositions for the project today, and boy do they sound EXCELLENT!!! I'm really excited for the final release.

Have a great weekend.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 12:34:06 am by Duke2go »

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 07, 2015, 09:32:18 pm »
Sweet!  I'm excited to hear the new music myself. :)

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 08, 2015, 12:53:41 am »
Well I have about 22 tracks to do, mostly covers on top of a limited music engine compared to famitracker's. I have quite a bit of work to do.  ::)

I would request someone to make a program that converts a famitracker file into data that can be inserted into Disch's engine because I'm certainty not going to :P. Sorry if blunt but I'm already doing the whole OST here and music insertion is a tedious task. It's much easier (and not as boring) to just make a program to insert the music as opposed to hand doing it.