News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. Title Screen Editor. HELP, PLS!  (Read 3986 times)

LucaH97

• View Profile
Super Mario Bros. Title Screen Editor. HELP, PLS!
« on: March 08, 2015, 09:24:04 am »
Hey, everyone, first time posting here  :)
I'm currently making a SMB1 (NES) Rom Hack, and I am having problems using the SMB Title Screen Editor
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/491/

It is in a weirdly corrupted Japanese text, and I have no idea how to save my edit into the rom.
YES I KNOW, there is a english readme file, but even following the instructions, It just won't save!

From the Readme:

How To Use: When you run the editor, it should automatically have the Open dialog open. Here are what the buttons and other stuff do:
* "|N|||A|["- Clears the title screen.
* "|o|C|i|||o|Ã?"- This is used for the saving process or saving the bytes in a text file. At the bottom of the window that pops up, press the top button to apply the results for the saving process, or the bottom button to save the data in a file.
* "ROM|C|Ã?|||Ã?"- Click on this to choose a different ROM.
* "ROM|�|�'¶"- Click on this to save the changes to the ROM after applying results for the saving process (see the second point to know how to apply the results for the process).
* "|F|�|�'è|�"- Click on this to switch from tile editing mode to palette editing mode (or vice verca).

I click the second button, then a Dialog Box appears, with an un-readable text, and just an OK option.
I have no idea if that is an error message, but I proceeded clicking the top button in the following window, after clicking the ok button in the supposed error message.
Then after clicking the 4th button, in order to apply the "results", as the author calls it, to the rom, the same dialog box from before pops up.
After clicking ok and closing the program, everytime I open the rom, NOTHING changed! I really need some advice here. Please!

Heres a screenshot of that dialog box:

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
Re: Super Mario Bros. Title Screen Editor. HELP, PLS!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 10:43:14 am »
Ah, yes... That editor is infamous among those of us who can't read Moonspeak.

If your replacement layout takes up more space than the original, the Editor freaks out and refuses to save. For this reason, it's actually easier to just hard-key your replacement into the ROM. Check out the last twenty lines of code, starting at $9ED0. Your first snippet is "20-A6-54-26". What that means is "Starting Point 20A6, twenty consecutive writes of Tile #26". You'll see a lot of that sort of four-byte clustering, where the first two bytes are the starting point, the third byte encodes Repetition, Direction and Number, and the final byte is the Tile ID#. (The other format involves a third byte which merely states the Number of tiles to be written in a simple horizontal line. It's followed by that same number of unique Tile ID#'s.)

Starting Points
The top line of the Title screen is 2000-201F (32 tiles). The next line is 2020-203F. Etc. The very bottom line is 23A0-23BF. There is a subsequent target region from 23C0 to 23FF, which encodes Attributes. These are essentially color-swatches applied to the background, and is a topic best left for later.

Repetition
If the 6th bit of Byte Three is set (4x, 5x, 6x, 7x, Cx, Dx, Ex, Fx), you've got repetition.

Direction
Tiles are written horizontally unless the 7th bit of Byte Three is set (8x, 9x, Ax, Bx, Cx, Dx, Ex, Fx).

Tests
1) You want to write Tile #69 at a position halfway down, and halfway across the screen (e.g., just southeast of center). What's the code?

Spoiler:
22-10-01-69

2) You want to write Tile #69, five times in a horizontal row, starting halfway down the screen. What's the code?

Spoiler:
22-00-45-69

3) You want to write Tile #69, nine times in a vertical column, starting a quarter-way down the screen. What's the code?

Spoiler:
21-00-C9-69

4) You want to write Tiles #69, #6A and #6B in a vertical column, starting a quarter-way down the screen. What's the code?

Spoiler:
21-00-83-69-6A-6B

LucaH97

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 10:02:07 pm »
Ah, yes... That editor is infamous among those of us who can't read Moonspeak.

If your replacement layout takes up more space than the original, the Editor freaks out and refuses to save. For this reason, it's actually easier to just hard-key your replacement into the ROM. Check out the last twenty lines of code, starting at $9ED0. Your first snippet is "20-A6-54-26". What that means is "Starting Point 20A6, twenty consecutive writes of Tile #26". You'll see a lot of that sort of four-byte clustering, where the first two bytes are the starting point, the third byte encodes Repetition, Direction and Number, and the final byte is the Tile ID#. (The other format involves a third byte which merely states the Number of tiles to be written in a simple horizontal line. It's followed by that same number of unique Tile ID#'s.)

Starting Points
The top line of the Title screen is 2000-201F (32 tiles). The next line is 2020-203F. Etc. The very bottom line is 23A0-23BF. There is a subsequent target region from 23C0 to 23FF, which encodes Attributes. These are essentially color-swatches applied to the background, and is a topic best left for later.

Repetition
If the 6th bit of Byte Three is set (4x, 5x, 6x, 7x, Cx, Dx, Ex, Fx), you've got repetition.

Direction
Tiles are written horizontally unless the 7th bit of Byte Three is set (8x, 9x, Ax, Bx, Cx, Dx, Ex, Fx).

Tests
1) You want to write Tile #69 at a position halfway down, and halfway across the screen (e.g., just southeast of center). What's the code?

Spoiler:
22-10-01-69

2) You want to write Tile #69, five times in a horizontal row, starting halfway down the screen. What's the code?

Spoiler:
22-00-45-69

3) You want to write Tile #69, nine times in a vertical column, starting a quarter-way down the screen. What's the code?

Spoiler:
21-00-C9-69

4) You want to write Tiles #69, #6A and #6B in a vertical column, starting a quarter-way down the screen. What's the code?

Spoiler:
21-00-83-69-6A-6B

Thanks for the reply. But I'm not quite familiar with hacking stuff like that.
Do i need a hex editor or something?

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 10:38:23 pm »
Thanks for the reply. But I'm not quite familiar with hacking stuff like that.
Do i need a hex editor or something?

Yeah, whichever one you prefer. I use Translhextion.

Hex-editing is easy and fun. And this sort of project is a great way to get comfortable with the process! You don't have to worry about anything other than the final twenty lines of code, e.g. $[9ED0-A00F]. Moreover, the mild compression used by this game is a format you'll see a lot of in other NES games.

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 08:38:23 am »
 Espero que te ayude este tutorial que escribí para otro usuario:
(I hope it helps this tutorial I wrote for another user:)

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,18272.msg262753.html#msg262753

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 12:32:09 pm »
Damn, I didn't realize so many of my old images were down! (Although given recent events, I definitely should have.) I'ma see to getting those replenished sometime soon.