News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Is it possible to extract data from Sonic CD (PC), burn it to a Sega CD image...  (Read 5356 times)

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
How's it going Bros.,

I hope someone manages to read my question.

I've made successful CD-R backups of my Sega-CD games and have managed to play them on original Sega CD hardware. I own a copy of Sonic CD for Windows 95 (from 1996). I was wondering if it is possible to somehow extract the level, graphics, sound, music, and FMV data, convert it into a Sega-CD format, and then burn it onto a Sega-CD-compatible CD-R and play it on my original Sega-CD hardware!

Is this technically possible or will this forever remain my distant pipe-dream?

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
Nope, the hardwares are completely different. You better just get the Mega CD version of Sonic CD and uses that instead.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

henke37

• View Profile
To start with, the systems don't use the same processor. The code must be in the instruction set for the used processor.

Korama

• View Profile
I think it is definitely technically possible - if you have written software for the necessary format conversions. I haven't looked into it, but I doubt that the PC version and Sega CD version use the same data formats for levels. They certainly don't for music and video. Well, the music is CD audio, but all the "past" tracks in the Sega CD version are actually special BIN files that are similar to MOD files, if you know what that is (basically some digital audio samples plus note data with playback instructions for those samples).

I fixed the old PC version of Sonic CD once before, to make it playable on Windows XP. But it broke again and doesn't run on Windows 7 or 8. However, a while ago I applied the methods I originally developed for Ecco PC to the PC versions of Sonic CD, Sonic 3D Blast, and Sonic & Knuckles Collection. Meaning I got those old games running perfectly fine on Windows 8.1, with a few minor improvements even. So, instead of porting stuff from Sonic CD '96 to the Sega CD version, you can just keep playing Sonic CD '96 on PC. Once I release my patch, at least.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
I think it is definitely technically possible - if you have written software for the necessary format conversions.
Perhaps you misunderstood the question..?  I agree with Gemini and Henke37; this is quite beyond the realm of reasonable possibility, quite apart from whatever data format is used by the levels.  While the old Sega Smash Packs were just roms packaged with an emulator (namely KGen98), this is far from the case when it comes to Sonic CD.

Also, the Retro Engine port of the game on Steam and so on is really quite adequate.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 12:54:43 pm by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
Also, the Retro Engine port of the game on Steam and so on is really quite adequate.
Yeah, that one is probably the best way to play it nowadays with no patches, unless you'd like to use an emulator for authenticity's sake.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Korama

• View Profile
Perhaps you misunderstood the question..?  I agree with Gemini and Henke37; this is quite beyond the realm of reasonable possibility, quite apart from whatever data format is used by the levels.

Yes, perhaps I misunderstood. I thought he wanted to port over some data from the PC to the Sega CD version (e.g. a custom level), not convert the entire game. The latter is still technically possible, but not really feasible. It'd be one giant waste of time.

Yeah, Taxman's remake of Sonic CD is great, but that didn't stop me. The old '96 version of Sonic CD still runs great, has probably much lower hardware requirements, and I added a few little niceties like a freely resizable window, option to switch between windowed and fullscreen modes via gamepad button, toggle debug mode via gamepad, etc...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 05:43:17 pm by Korama »

Jorpho

• View Profile
I added a few little niceties like a freely resizable window
Do you mean you can actually change the aspect ratio?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Korama

• View Profile
Do you mean you can actually change the aspect ratio?

No, that would be quite hard to change. I mean resizing the window with or without maintaining the original aspect ratio. You can also toggle borderless and always on top modes for the window.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
I fixed the old PC version of Sonic CD once before, to make it playable on Windows XP. But it broke again and doesn't run on Windows 7 or 8. However, a while ago I applied the methods I originally developed for Ecco PC to the PC versions of Sonic CD, Sonic 3D Blast, and Sonic & Knuckles Collection. Meaning I got those old games running perfectly fine on Windows 8.1, with a few minor improvements even. So, instead of porting stuff from Sonic CD '96 to the Sega CD version, you can just keep playing Sonic CD '96 on PC. Once I release my patch, at least.

Weird. I know at one point, I'm sure in the XP era, Sega repackaged Sonic 3K PC to also include Sonic CD (though I have an original full-price copy of S3K as well, I know it had been sold for years among the cheap PC software section). I have it sitting around but never played it. I wonder if they fixed S3K in later printings so window mode runs with a frame limit (I know somebody has since discovered secret config file commands that can, among other things, change the frame limit settings (which are by default off for window mode and on for full-screen mode).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Korama

• View Profile
Weird. I know at one point, I'm sure in the XP era, Sega repackaged Sonic 3K PC to also include Sonic CD

I'm not aware of such a combo release. I have the original retail releases of Sonic CD PC and Sonic & Knuckles Collection as well. And a bargain bin version of Sonic 3D Blast PC, which I discovered has faulty audio. Lots of crackles and pops in the tracks, definitely not because of scratches.
Yes, there S&K Collection has a couple of "secret" ini file settings, and a "patch" was once released that simply activated such a setting to prevent the game from running at ludicrous speed. However, this uses a timer for the frame delays, meaning the game runs at an odd speed around 55 fps or so, with annoying judder. My solution uses vsync to get the proper 60 fps even in window mode.

Jorpho

• View Profile
I purchased a pack that included Sonic R, Sonic 3K, Sonic CD, and Sega Smash Pack 2 (i.e. with Sonic 2).  But everything came on a separate CD, and I'm pretty sure they're all the same as the originals.  I can't remember when that was; I think it was right before XP.

I think the worst thing about the PC version of Sonic CD is the obnoxious loading screens every time you time warp.

I never got around to playing S3K in any form.  I understand the PC version is another port and doesn't use emulation, for some strange reason.

According to da wiki, the Steam version of Sonic 3D Blast is just an emulation of the Genesis version.  How sad.  (Apparently the PC version's bonus stages were like the Saturn version, but not quite).

Also, I kind of wish they'd put the Retro Engine port of Sonic 2 on Steam; it seems it's only on iOS at the moment.  But I guess they have no real incentive to do so.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 09:51:26 pm by Jorpho »

omega_rugal

• View Profile
You recode the game and recycle the assets from the PC version...

in other words... no...
Done your packing?, your life journey is over...

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
I purchased a pack that included Sonic R, Sonic 3K, Sonic CD, and Sega Smash Pack 2 (i.e. with Sonic 2).  But everything came on a separate CD, and I'm pretty sure they're all the same as the originals.  I can't remember when that was; I think it was right before XP.

I think the worst thing about the PC version of Sonic CD is the obnoxious loading screens every time you time warp.

I never got around to playing S3K in any form.  I understand the PC version is another port and doesn't use emulation, for some strange reason.

According to da wiki, the Steam version of Sonic 3D Blast is just an emulation of the Genesis version.  How sad.  (Apparently the PC version's bonus stages were like the Saturn version, but not quite).

Also, I kind of wish they'd put the Retro Engine port of Sonic 2 on Steam; it seems it's only on iOS at the moment.  But I guess they have no real incentive to do so.

Yes, the bonus levels in the PC Sonic 3D Blast were like the Saturn-version but very downgraded.  Also some copies of PC Sonic R (like the one I own) don't play music! Some kind of error in production. No more great hits like Super Sonic Racing and Can You Feel the Sunshine?  ;)

Lastly, yes Sonic 3&K goes berserk if you play it on windowed mode, and that was already true for computers in the late 90's/early 2000's but that would be very cool if according to KingMike, one can fix that with a configuration file edit.

Korama

• View Profile

Funny that you mention the warp screen. It annoyed me as well during my debugging. So I implemented an option that will disable the warp! Makes time travel almost instantaneous. The warp sound effect still gets played, though. I wanted to fix that before I release the patch, but perhaps I won't, to avoid further delays.

The S&K collection is a bit strange. It's not an emulation, but it also isn't a proper port. I assume what they did was to take the original Motorola 68k asm source and translate it automatically to C or whatever. So that a "move.l #1, d0" becomes a "d0 = 1;", for example - yes, the game uses global variables for the 68k registers (d0, d1, etc.) throughout!

Same here. Apparently the Nintendo exclusivity deal was to blame (source). It's not only iOS, but also Android. Meaning you can play it on PC using certain methods.

Lastly, yes Sonic 3&K goes berserk if you play it on windowed mode, and that was already true for computers in the late 90's/early 2000's but that would be very cool if according to KingMike, one can fix that with a configuration file edit.

It's \WINDOWS\S3K.ini (create if it doesn't exist). It should contain this:

Code: [Select]
[Debug]
MukaiDropFrame=0