News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Yay0 Compression?  (Read 2668 times)

Kafke

• View Profile
Yay0 Compression?
« on: March 05, 2015, 05:42:06 am »
I got another tough question for you all. It turns out that some of my archive files are actually located in "panepon.szp", which, upon googling, appears to be a mostly untouched format. So into the hex editor I go. Turns out it's Yay0 compressed, which I was able to decompress with a tool I found online. But... the problem is it doesn't support recompression, and the tools that supposedly do are built for luigi's mansion and don't actually compress my file properly (game crashes when trying to load).

I know the decompression is working fine, since it decompresses into an identical .rel file which is also within the game (but unused). I'm wondering if anyone has a tool that does the compression. It's frustrating, since the particular files I'm trying to get at had 4-5 'decoys' which are the same files, but unused. The real ones are behind this compression. And the game won't accept the uncompressed format nor yaz0.

Help? Or am I going to be learning yay0 encryption this week?

Edit: I should mention that the yay0 tool that works is yay0dec from: http://www.amnoid.de/gc/. The one here on romhacking.net doesn't seem to work.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 06:00:35 am by Kafke »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Yay0 Compression?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:57:10 am »
Is this in regards to Nintendo Puzzle Collection still?

But... the problem is it doesn't support recompression, and the tools that supposedly do are built for luigi's mansion and don't actually compress my file properly (game crashes when trying to load).
Perhaps the differences are not so great.  Have you tried decompressing a file and recompressing it without any changes?  Does the recompressed file have any kind of similarity with the original?  Maybe it's just a matter of a few extra bytes at the start of the file, or something.

The one here on romhacking.net doesn't seem to work.
What happens when you try to use it?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

RetroHelix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 11:06:40 am »

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 04:05:00 pm »

Kafke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 04:59:57 pm »
Is this in regards to Nintendo Puzzle Collection still?
Perhaps the differences are not so great.  Have you tried decompressing a file and recompressing it without any changes?  Does the recompressed file have any kind of similarity with the original?  Maybe it's just a matter of a few extra bytes at the start of the file, or something.
What happens when you try to use it?

As I said, I tried recompressing it with the available tools. But the tool that is supposedly able to recompress doesn't work in either direction. Maybe that's a bit of my fault for attempting to compile/run on mac. But it generates a file, just one that the tool itself cannot read (nor my decompression tool), and the game crashes. The resulting file is pretty different from the original. And yes, it's for Nintendo Puzzle Collection. I'm not sure what the compression tool is doing differently, but it's clear that it messed up, since there's a lot different, as well as some obvious differences (some 00 bytes before some similar data).

Do you tried this tool http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1088/ ?

I already did. This is the one that doesn't work. For both decompressing and compressing.

Try this:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5f6sjn6ryzwognc/szp.7z

Works perfectly. Thanks.