News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Star Ocean (12MB ROM) problem  (Read 7627 times)

Synnae

• View Profile
Star Ocean (12MB ROM) problem
« on: February 21, 2015, 12:40:47 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm planning to buy a sd2snes flashcart so I can play backup ROMs on it. I read that S-DD1 isn't supported yet, so you can't play Star Ocean on it. However, if you apply this patch, everything will work fine.

So... I patched my "Star Ocean (J) [T+Eng1.0_DeJap].smc" with the "96Mbit_SO_ENG.xdelta", then I tested the ROM on the Super Sleuth emulator to check if it was working. The game booted up, but it's running REALLY fast, and without sound. Is this normal? Will the ROM work like this on a real, physical hardware as well?

I don't know if there's something wrong with the configurations of my emulator or if the ROM is actually supposed to run like this. If it's the latter, then what's the point in making a patch that causes a ROM to go faulty?

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: Star Ocean (12MB ROM) problem
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 12:58:35 pm »
I don't know anything about Super Sleuth, but I can confirm that I've played Star Ocean using the 96mbit patch on both an SNES PowerPak and an sd2snes, and it behaved correctly both times.

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 01:10:27 pm »
That's good news. Maybe the problem is with the emulator then, I dunno.

I haven't tested the ROM on real hardware yet since I'm yet to buy my sd2snes, but if you got it to work perfectly, then perhaps I should not worry.

ginbunbun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 01:19:10 pm »
I can also confirm Star Ocean works fine for me. Now some people have stated having issues with the game after patching it because its only because they did it wrong. Other than that it works fine. As for the flash cart its self. You can not go wrong with the sd2snes. If you're going to spend the money thats the one to get. as it supports 99 percent of all the games released due it emulating most of the special chips like the dsp1, dsp2, cx4 and so on. It's also getting cheat support like the everdrive soon as well as more support for more chips. You'll have a blast with it. I know I have.

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 01:49:55 pm »
Yes, I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun. ^^ SNES was the first console I owned when I was a kid, so it holds a special place on my heart.

The flashcart is a bit expensive, but still worthy it considering the amount of games you can play with it. Now if only they add Super FX and SA-1 compatibility, everything would be perfect. ^^

Sorry for going off topic, but when the translation of Far East of Eden Zero get finished, will someone create a patch to remove the SPC7110 chip from the game as well? Just warning you that I'm no hacker, so I don't know if this is even possible or not. I'm sorry if it sounds stupid.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 02:17:37 pm »
Far East of Eden's a bit more difficult, because the extra hardware doesn't just provide additional graphics decompression. There's a clock in there too. I don't know what it does to the game other than provide special holiday events on certain days, but that's something that would have to be emulated on the sd2snes's fpga.

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 04:47:43 pm »
The real time clock of Daikaijuu Monogatari II is already supported on sd2snes... And the game is also produced by RED/Hudson.
Are you really sure the RTP is on the same chip as the graphic decompression Gideon? I have no idea, but from pure logic it would make sense that it's a seperate chip and the same one previously used with DM2.

patuli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 05:08:19 pm »
Yes, I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun. ^^ SNES was the first console I owned when I was a kid, so it holds a special place on my heart.

The flashcart is a bit expensive, but still worthy it considering the amount of games you can play with it. Now if only they add Super FX and SA-1 compatibility, everything would be perfect. ^^

Sorry for going off topic, but when the translation of Far East of Eden Zero get finished, will someone create a patch to remove the SPC7110 chip from the game as well? Just warning you that I'm no hacker, so I don't know if this is even possible or not. I'm sorry if it sounds stupid.

For star ocean a guy called Dgdiniz figured out the last untranslated part of the game the "yes/no" bubbles
and was polishing up the dejap translation.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,13779.860.html

For FEoEZ As far as I remember, the translation was finish around June 14, 2012 05:00:56 pm, how do i know that?
Tom posted a very specific post; about him finish the second playtrough of the game here.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,13982.140.html

also a few screenshots from 4chan retroboard

http://postimg.org/image/gh7u5w6if/

http://postimg.org/image/wsv6q1nqd/

The last 2 years and 6 month's of no progress?
who know's? maybe Byuu doesn't care to finish the hacking part of the game, is to busy to continue, or lack of interest.

Some project's are like that, the two i remember nearly 100% and then disapearing from the face of the internet;
are ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat and samurai showdown rpg, there where alot of pics of the games near completition, something happend
and the author's didn't want to publish their work.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 05:01:20 am »
who know's? maybe Byuu doesn't care to finish the hacking part of the game, is to busy to continue, or lack of interest.

Some project's are like that, the two i remember nearly 100% and then disapearing from the face of the internet;
are ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat and samurai showdown rpg, there where alot of pics of the games near completition, something happend

As for Archaic Sealed Heat, progress got slower, and worse thing is the main translator just lost the flash drive in a bus trip or something and just gave up and vanished - another involved member of that team is still active and doesn't approve of the patch release. The patch release itself was done by one beta-tester after a couple years of no progress and was unfinished, still missing adding code to translate the voice acting, and having some menu entries untranslated for example.
First it was a rom, then people tried to create a patch that ended up 124MB in size so it definitely had some of the copyrighted game's code in there and no one could afford to host a patch that had the same legal problems than the one for Final Fantasy Type-0, besides the release not being approved by its authors.

If you know how to read French, the French project for Samurai Showdown RPG was indeed finished (save for some of the battle engine text) and released in 2013 for the Neo-Geo CD version. You might want to check Star Ocean Blue Sphere and Phantasy Star 2 PS2 too.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 06:11:48 pm »
For star ocean a guy called Dgdiniz figured out the last untranslated part of the game the "yes/no" bubbles
and was polishing up the dejap translation.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,13779.860.html

For FEoEZ As far as I remember, the translation was finish around June 14, 2012 05:00:56 pm, how do i know that?
Tom posted a very specific post; about him finish the second playtrough of the game here.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,13982.140.html

also a few screenshots from 4chan retroboard

http://postimg.org/image/gh7u5w6if/

http://postimg.org/image/wsv6q1nqd/

Byuu's quit romhacking and programming.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 10:11:46 am »
Byuu's quit romhacking and programming.

Is this confirmed? Besides the higan emu, that is. Because that would mean the FEoE:Z translation is cancelled, I gather.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 11:20:38 am »
You might want to check [...] Phantasy Star 2 PS2 too.

And I don't know who made it, but it's a great job  ;D

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 02:26:59 pm »
And I don't know who made it, but it's a great job  ;D

::)

Yes, they sure are awesome :P

patuli

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 04:11:54 pm »
>>Byuu's quit romhacking and programming.
That's a shame, but I'm sure is the best to byuu right now, if you lost interest in something and you no longer feel good doing it
just walk away.
As for SSrpg and Star ocean BS, I only know Spanish and English, but I will try those games anyway.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:26:18 pm by patuli »

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 07:17:18 pm »
Sorry for the bump, but it's just that I tried the game on my sd2snes now, and I have a little problem.

This is what I did to patch the game:

1) Got the "Star Ocean (J) [T+Eng1.0_DeJap].smc"
2) Opened xdelta UI
3) Selected "96Mbit_SO_ENG.xdelta" as my patch, and the .smc as source file
4) Patched the game

Then when I loaded the game on sd2snes, I noticed some minor glitches on it. It's a bit hard to explain, but basically the sprite of that green haired girl at the intro (the one asking if the captain wants coffee) becomes slightly glitched. I see random flashing white pixels near her, and not only that, but some other sprites appear with graphical glitches near them as well.

I'm assuming I patched the game incorrectly, but what could I have done wrong?

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 07:40:54 pm »
I'm assuming I patched the game incorrectly
Instead of assuming that so quickly, you should first test your patched ROM on emulators and see if the glitches are present there too. If there are no glitches there, then it's very likely that you patched the ROM correctly and the problem lies somewhere else.

EDIT: Ah, I've read the OP now. If the game doesn't work in higan for some reason, I'd try starting again from a clean ROM, instead of a pre-patched GoodSNES ROM.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 07:50:00 pm by mz »
There has to be a better life.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 07:56:55 pm »
I don't know if it's related, but I tried playing this once on my Powerpak. It seemed to function just fine, but it never saved properly. I would come back to it later and it would be as if I had started it for the first time. I gave up after that because an RPG that doesn't save is unplayable.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 08:58:12 pm »
EDIT: Ah, I've read the OP now. If the game doesn't work in higan for some reason, I'd try starting again from a clean ROM, instead of a pre-patched GoodSNES ROM.

Thank you, mz. I just patched the game from a clean rom and now the glitches are gone. My problem is fixed.

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 08:56:10 am »
>>Byuu's quit romhacking and programming.
That's a shame, but I'm sure is the best to byuu right now, if you lost interest in something and you no longer feel good doing it
just walk away.
As for SSrpg and Star ocean BS, I only know Spanish and English, but I will try those games anyway.

That's too bad as LostTemplar started the hacking of the game (which seemed fairly advanced) and stopped to let Byuu do it, and meanwhile LostTemplar seems to have also dissapeared :/

Unfortunately, I can't say I didn't saw that coming (not for the programming quit but the romhacking one, seeing his answer each time someone asked for news).

But if I'm right, the translator had a version with the full script translated so maybe it will be released one day, would be better than nothing (but as it's been like 3 years since the translator logged here, he probably just gave up :/).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 12:40:53 am by Hiei- »