News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.98b)  (Read 222867 times)

Nosgothy

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.98a)
« Reply #700 on: July 25, 2020, 03:52:23 pm »
Here is a quick photo of my screen. Notice the trees in the top. While dashing left and right they jiggle about.

It only happens when dashing, not while walking.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 25, 2020, 04:33:27 pm »
Here is a quick photo of my screen. Notice the trees in the top. While dashing left and right they jiggle about.

It only happens when dashing, not while walking.

I checked again and nothing, at least on SNES9x. I'll have to check Canoe once I get the chance.

Chrono 199X

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 31, 2020, 03:32:11 pm »
Hey, i noticed some weird spacing on the two Ls at the end of the potion and ether item descriptions. For potion its correct, for ether it's weirdly spaced. The L at the end of Cecil's name seems to be too spaced too. I don't know if that's a necessary evil sorta thing.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 31, 2020, 06:15:17 pm »
Looks like someone was inconsistent in usage of squishy-tile characters in the font.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 31, 2020, 07:43:27 pm »
Looks like someone was inconsistent in usage of squishy-tile characters in the font.

That's pretty much what happened there. I think I may have been trying to get all instances of double L to use the ll di-graph and missed one.

Chrono 199X

• View Profile
« Reply #705 on: August 02, 2020, 03:19:12 pm »

That's pretty much what happened there. I think I may have been trying to get all instances of double L to use the ll di-graph and missed one.

Adding to this, i found several more instances of separated LLs, LIs and ILs.

The Phoenix Down item description.

In Baron: The Innkeeper's dialogue, Cid's daughter's dialogue, Namingway's dialogue, the red haired woman outside, the woman in the trees and the dancer.

The fat chocobo spot near Baron too.

In the words "gil" and "take all" at the end of battles.

The enemy Goblin.

The Mist Dragon's and Cecil's dialogue before the battle.

Mist Village's name. Kain's dialogue during the ring activation scene and his and Cecil's dialogue in the scene with Rydia.

Tellah's dialogue if you talk to him before going to Kaipo.

In Kaipo: The Inkeeper's dialogue when you enter town for the first time. The General's dialogue. Rydia's dialogue after the fight with the General. The woman in the inn who talks about Tellah and Anna. Man at the pub who talks about Damcyan royalty. Man who says Rosa collapsed. Woman that tells you to put Rydia in the back row. Woman who says Anna fell in love and ran away. The man, the woman and the bookshelf in the house with Rosa.

The word "sell" in shops.

Those are all the ones i saw in my playthrough today. Let me know if you want me to keep looking for them.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 06:33:33 pm by Chrono 199X »

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: August 02, 2020, 11:28:41 pm »
Adding to this, i found several more instances of separated LLs, LIs and ILs.

The Phoenix Down item description.

In Baron: The Innkeeper's dialogue, Cid's daughter's dialogue, Namingway's dialogue, the red haired woman outside, the woman in the trees and the dancer.

The fat chocobo spot near Baron too.

In the words "gil" and "take all" at the end of battles.

The enemy Goblin.

The Mist Dragon's and Cecil's dialogue before the battle.

Mist Village's name. Kain's dialogue during the ring activation scene and his and Cecil's dialogue in the scene with Rydia.

Tellah's dialogue if you talk to him before going to Kaipo.

In Kaipo: The Inkeeper's dialogue when you enter town for the first time. The General's dialogue. Rydia's dialogue after the fight with the General. The woman in the inn who talks about Tellah and Anna. Man at the pub who talks about Damcyan royalty. Man who says Rosa collapsed. Woman that tells you to put Rydia in the back row. Woman who says Anna fell in love and ran away. The man, the woman and the bookshelf in the house with Rosa.

The word "sell" in shops.

Those are all the ones i saw in my playthrough today. Let me know if you want me to keep looking for them.

The dialog and specific places (like the end of battle) won't be changing. It's item names, descriptions, and monster names that would be where any changes would happen. It is at this point just cosmetic. I wasn't planning on updating it unless it was necessary.

Nosgothy

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: August 02, 2020, 11:44:28 pm »
Just had the same glitchy trees in a town in Final Fantasy V. There is a very good chance that Canoe is the culprit. Will change emulators once I have the chance, but at least this romhack can be ruled out. Sorry for the trouble.

superlowprofile

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: August 05, 2020, 01:13:08 pm »
In Mysidia White Mage tells
'The Devil's Road is so named because
 it saps the stanima of its travelers.'

Im not so far yet in the game, but it's been a great pleasure to play perhaps the most legendary RPG of all time, or at least for me it is it.

Cheers  8) 

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: August 05, 2020, 10:04:53 pm »
In Mysidia White Mage tells
'The Devil's Road is so named because
 it saps the stanima of its travelers.'

Im not so far yet in the game, but it's been a great pleasure to play perhaps the most legendary RPG of all time, or at least for me it is it.

Cheers  8)

I have to ask, is it the latest version that you are playing? 1.98b? I found that typo and corrected it on a previous revision.

Chrono 199X

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.98b)
« Reply #710 on: August 10, 2020, 05:18:05 pm »
Found a typo in Agart. Guy in the inn says "Supposedley, our ancestors came from the other world. Their world has a sun, which they call 'Magma.'"

Also, the . in the word Magma is inside the '.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: August 11, 2020, 10:10:29 pm »
Found a typo in Agart. Guy in the inn says "Supposedley, our ancestors came from the other world. Their world has a sun, which they call 'Magma.'"

Thanks for letting me know. That will be fixed in the next revision. Keep me posted if you find anything else.

Chrono 199X

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: August 12, 2020, 10:33:23 am »
Thanks for letting me know. That will be fixed in the next revision. Keep me posted if you find anything else.

Will do. I found something else earlier, but i'm not sure if it was a typo or me just not being a native english speaker. When the party gets to the Enterprise for the first time, Cid says something like "Ain't she a beaut" Not sure if you wanted to say beauty or if beaut is correct with the way Cid speaks.

superlowprofile

• View Profile
« Reply #713 on: August 12, 2020, 11:46:11 am »
I have to ask, is it the latest version that you are playing? 1.98b? I found that typo and corrected it on a previous revision.

Yeah, the latest version.
I guess it's some sort of bug with the patching, or something.... as I also found Yang lying in bed saying "Ah...The slyphs saved my life."

Anyways, finished the game yesterday and it still holds up to this date.
My end levels were Rydia & Edge @51, Rosa & Cecil @53 and Kain @54.
It was great to see Zeromus falling down with Rydia's booming 9999 Bahamut crit  8)

Was thinking to do a rerun for fun, to see how low levels can be in the end without any gear gimmicks like Glasshelmet etc.
38-47 range perhaps?

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: August 12, 2020, 11:52:24 am »
Will do. I found something else earlier, but i'm not sure if it was a typo or me just not being a native english speaker. When the party gets to the Enterprise for the first time, Cid says something like "Ain't she a beaut" Not sure if you wanted to say beauty or if beaut is correct with the way Cid speaks.

Beaut is an English slang short for beauty. Cid tends to use a lot of slang in his speech.

Trickless

• View Profile
    • Japan Adventure Attack!
« Reply #715 on: August 12, 2020, 04:17:09 pm »

As I found out a few years ago myself, I think this is a case of American vs British grammar.

In American grammar, periods and commas are placed within quotations - whereas in British grammar they are outside. https://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2011/08/punctuating-around-quotation-marks.html

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: August 12, 2020, 05:47:25 pm »
As I found out a few years ago myself, I think this is a case of American vs British grammar.

In American grammar, periods and commas are placed within quotations - whereas in British grammar they are outside. https://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2011/08/punctuating-around-quotation-marks.html

Very true. I was always taught that punctuation goes on the INSIDE of the quotations and this game uses American English. That's also why there is no u in certain words like color or favor. However, I did misspell supposedly though.

CatSlobber

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: August 15, 2020, 11:23:52 am »
I found a couple bugs myself as I'm playing through:

-The white mage in Mysidia that tells about the Devil's Road, says that it traveller's "stanima" (typo.) Yes, I'm playing 1.98b.
-Dashing sometimes persists on the world map when exiting a location.

A couple of quality of life issues...
-The aesthetic of the font is not ideal. It's squished, yet there are still lots of abbreviations and missing letters in names. Retooling names might be a bit "prettier," but that's just me.
-The secret passages should be completely hidden, since the hack is centered around restoring much of the cut Japanese content.

These are mostly minor issues, but I wish nothing but the best for the author. This is an amazing hack and I'm having a blast playing it.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: August 19, 2020, 04:18:43 pm »
I double checked to make sure that the stamina typo was fixed for the update on all patches. I also fixed the typos in the Sylvan Cave with Yang and the Agart Inn.

The use of squish tiles was certainly not ideal but it serves as a solution for the limitations within the game. If I could expand it I gladly would. The way the game prints in the battle menu was the challenge since its loaded into the RAM.

The B-Button Dash is applied on top of the User Options patch from chillyfeez. As such, the B-Button dash also works using the old coding when on the World Map.

As for the secret passages, I wanted to make that optional to keep them for some players, but I didn't mess with the maps when they were restored and I haven't been able get in touch with the person who contributed that part the project (Bahamut ZERO). That along with TRULY restoring the Japanese title screen (Namingway uses a modified version to emulate it since the coding is different) and fully restoring the original Config menu were the last few pieces of the puzzle I feel would make Namingway Edition complete. Other than that I am glad so many of you have enjoyed the project as it is.

That said, Version 1.98c has been submitted with those typo fixes.

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
« Reply #719 on: August 19, 2020, 06:03:54 pm »
If it helps any, I wrote a bunch of assembly code for my Final Fantasy C2 translation that expands lots of text windows + increases max text lengths.

http://tomato.fobby.net/ffc2/