Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.98d)

Started by Rodimus Primal, February 18, 2015, 06:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlamePurge

Check out and discuss my projects

Prince Valmont

Wow! It's a subtle change, but it looks so much better!
+ 1 vote.

Rodimus Primal

While it looks great there, here's what it looks like in the menu for the clock -




And without moving it-




If you're in favor of me moving, I can do so for the sake of the rest of the script.

Special

I'm somewhat indifferent on the clock, obviously it better in the second picture but it seems pretty minor, now these two things, driving me nuts.


Spooniest

Hum, it makes the clock look a little strange, but my thinking on the subject would be that you only see the clock in the Save Menu and in the Main Menu.

Every single spoken line of dialogue with a character name in front of it has a colon. That's something you're going to see and basically be paying attention to for the entire game...I'd say let the clock look weird.

I'm so glad you liked the idea. :) Yay, usefulness


Quote from: Sephirous on October 17, 2017, 02:33:08 PM
That's a great idea. Thinking outside the box.  :thumbsup:



Thanks. :) Though, strictly speaking, it's "to the left of the box." :D
Yamero~~!

Digitsie

I can live without the space after the colon, but the clock thing is annoying.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

Chronosplit

I can't unsee what Special put up, but I'd rather stick around in a menu for as short as possible so I won't mind it.

I quite like what I'm seeing in the normal dialog though.

Digitsie

I will say, I really liked it when one of the hacks started Rydia without any equipment to fit the story, though. ;)

I'd actually like to see that as an optional 'narrative fix' type of thing, even though it's so minor.

FlamePurge

Quote from: Digitsie on October 27, 2017, 04:58:20 PM
I will say, I really liked it when one of the hacks started Rydia without any equipment to fit the story, though. ;)

I'd actually like to see that as an optional 'narrative fix' type of thing, even though it's so minor.
That was Project II that did that, Digitsie--and it still does! :)
Check out and discuss my projects

Sephirous

Here is a thought for the Clock Problem.

If you move the : can you then move the first two digits of the clock over one to the left putting the : back into the center?

Spooniest

Quote from: Sephirous on November 01, 2017, 01:44:29 AM
Here is a thought for the Clock Problem.

If you move the : can you then move the first two digits of the clock over one to the left putting the : back into the center?

The : has a few pixels of empty space after it that are in the way. They are what are creating the space between the colon (it's called a colon) and the spoken dialogue.

It's a game clock. I really don't understand the problem here, who cares about the silly game clock??? :| I don't get it.
Yamero~~!

Rodimus Primal

So we have at least two who don't mind the clock not having a centered colon. I'm still on the fence with going through with it. I don't have ANY further space to add an extra one in the game's text area, so who else doesn't mind?

Axiphel

An uncentered colon for the clock seems like a very small sacrifice to make for a better looking dialogue text.

Prince Valmont

I'm going to be spending more time reading the dialogue than I am the game clock, so my vote goes to moving the colon to the left.

cospefogo

#374
Quote from: Rodimus Primal on November 02, 2017, 12:38:44 AM
So we have at least two who don't mind the clock not having a centered colon. I'm still on the fence with going through with it. I don't have ANY further space to add an extra one in the game's text area, so who else doesn't mind?

Please please, I vote for the colon to be moved to the left.
It really hurts the reading having the colon attached to text right to it.
About the clock, it's just a clock! Not problem AT ALL about its centered (or not) colon position.

Thanks, Rodimus Primal!

PS. If the colon edit does not go forward, is there a way to do it by myself?
Can I just change the "tile" for it, perhaps?
Using one of the existing rom hacking tools (like YYCHr)?


Edit #2: Oh... I already changed the colon in my local ROM! Easy to do on YYCHr.
Cheers, guys!
:beer:
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Rodimus Primal

So I've decided to go through with it. The colon is to the left and it's been submitted for approval. It is rather simple to do, and to move back if you don't like it.

Sephirous

Sounds like the old OCD malfunction occurred with the opinions of the non centered colon. Lol. :laugh:

In the end how many people actually pay attention to that clock anyway?  8)

cospefogo

Quote from: Rodimus Primal on November 03, 2017, 11:33:23 PM
So I've decided to go through with it. The colon is to the left and it's been submitted for approval. It is rather simple to do, and to move back if you don't like it.

Dear Rodimus, I have a question!

Yesterday, by using YYCHr, I edited my very own ROM and moved to colon aaaalll way to the left — however, the same tile shares the comma! Mistakenly I did replace the comma with the colon and things got broken.

Doing the procedure again, I moved the colon AND the comma to the left, however, due to the presence of the latter, the colon was not at very left like yours are.

How did you manage to make it without affecting the comma position? Don't need me to explain neatly, just a overall answer is fine!

Thanks so much — and yes, I am using your 1.84 patch to be sure!

Cospefogo.
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Rodimus Primal

Quote from: cospefogo on November 04, 2017, 08:27:40 AM
Dear Rodimus, I have a question!

Yesterday, by using YYCHr, I edited my very own ROM and moved to colon aaaalll way to the left — however, the same tile shares the comma! Mistakenly I did replace the comma with the colon and things got broken.

Doing the procedure again, I moved the colon AND the comma to the left, however, due to the presence of the latter, the colon was not at very left like yours are.

How did you manage to make it without affecting the comma position? Don't need me to explain neatly, just a overall answer is fine!

Thanks so much — and yes, I am using your 1.84 patch to be sure!

Cospefogo.


What I did was I drew it with a single pixel of space on the left. Also, make sure that the grid is turned on in YY-CHR so that you can see the separation.

cospefogo

Quote from: Rodimus Primal on November 04, 2017, 02:00:10 PM

What I did was I drew it with a single pixel of space on the left. Also, make sure that the grid is turned on in YY-CHR so that you can see the separation.

Yeah, I see...
The comma uses other color within the palette.
When I moved the colon, I "painted" part of the comma with the colon color.
This is where I did miss.

Thanks, Rodimus!
:thumbsup:
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."