News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.98b)  (Read 231799 times)

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.5)
« Reply #180 on: July 29, 2015, 05:09:03 pm »
That was something I thought about, and I decided against it. While it does make finding passages easier, its probably the only thing I don't mind staying from the US version.

July 29, 2015, 10:44:21 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Version 1.5 is up!

:woot!: GO! GO! GO!   :woot!:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 30, 2015, 08:50:33 am »
Good job on the release, my play through of this will hopefully be coming up soon. One thing I wanted to mention though, the rom info on the hacks page it incorrect and should be changed to avoid confusion IMO.

CRC is incorrect, etc. http://i.imgur.com/aovdrPl.png
vs
Verified dump http://i.imgur.com/yIaNciT.png

No idea why this site always has wrong rom info, might as well do away with them all together.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 30, 2015, 09:52:46 am »
I noticed that with this game. Some people wanted to make sure that the information was right and could not.  I just submitted the change with the information you provided.

August 03, 2015, 01:36:39 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Information is updated, at least for Namingway Edition. Hopefully this helps folks finding a proper ROM to use.  :police:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 01:36:39 pm by Rodimus Primal »

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 27, 2015, 11:32:09 am »
I have good news folks. Thanks to the efforts of chillyfeez, the save point dash bug has been fixed! I'm working on an update release that will include this fix. Has anyone ran into any other issues with Namingway Edition?

November 27, 2015, 07:11:17 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The next update has been submitted. This will also fix and issue with Cecil when he becomes a Paladin on Mt Ordeals. The issue was that the NPCs were incorrectly assigned. This was a leftover for when I added in the Developer's Room and the original Training Room.

1.6 is released. Since there is a lot of site updates I'm making a news article for the announcement.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 01:43:34 am by Rodimus Primal »

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.6)
« Reply #184 on: December 15, 2015, 05:15:55 pm »
So I'm on a quest to play at least the first six Final Fantasy titles, and I'm almost done with III right now (the DS version, currently at Crystal Tower).

Now, I've never played any version of IV, but I've done plenty of research on the different versions of it. Would the Namingway Edition hack be the best version for me to play? I would like to play through a version of IV that has modern spell names (since I started with Dawn of Souls), in addition to having a decent translation. I don't want to play the DS version because I'm assuming it's running on the same engine as FFIII DS, and having almost beaten it, I cannot stand the unbearably slow battle system in that, not to mention how ugly the graphics are. I also don't want to play the GBA version of IV because it apparently has a shoddy translation.

So I'm thinking Namingway Edition is the version of IV that I should play? I'm assuming it has a decent translation (from Project II, from what I read the guy was careful with the script), and also modern spell names?
Creator of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Discord: https://discord.gg/fTS5Q78
Twitter: https://twitter.com/jmatz1995

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 15, 2015, 10:13:20 pm »
Project II probably has the best script for the SNES, and in a lot of ways its better than the GBA. vivify93 took a lot of notes from Tomato and pretty much did what I did to Final Fantasy VI and what you are currently doing with Final Fantasy II. Within the constraints of space (FFIV is VERY limited in script space) it's amazing what he was able to do. Also the hard work of everyone else really makes the project shine.

I worked with him when making Namingway Edition since I used it as a base. Originally it was an add on for folks like us who wanted the names to fit modern releases but it grew into its own thing. The names of items, monsters, and weapons are as close as I can make them using abbreviation and squish tiles. I did the best I could with the space constraints of the game. Also the maps, treasure chests, and save tiles were restored back to their original FFIV layout (thanks Bahamut Zero) including the Developer's Room, and the L button dash toggle was changed to the B Button dash (thanks chillyfeez, who also did his best to restore the original FFIV title screen).

I absolutely recommend it to anyone who hasn't played Final Fantasy IV before. I hope you enjoy it!

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 15, 2015, 11:44:41 pm »
Sweet! Abbreviations aren't a big deal, sometimes you just gotta accept having limited screen space. As long as the spell names resemble what I'm familiar with coming in from Dawn of Souls and FFIII DS (so like, Cura instead of Cure2), it's a sell for me. Sounds like this will be the definitive version of Final Fantasy IV then. I look forward to playing it!

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #187 on: December 16, 2015, 12:11:56 pm »
If I may be permitted to be a nitpicking jerk...

I humbly disagree with some of the (re)naming decisions you've made. I was going through the readme's list of changes, and the Fire Vute in particular is a strangely-named weapon. The word comes from a sentai series (I forget which one, though) and has no other attestations as far as I'm aware. Project II was pretty close there, though. I also wanted to highlight the hands slot, particularly the rings, since the original translation squashed udewa (armlet, bangle, bracelet) and yubiwa (ring), presumably for space reasons.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 16, 2015, 03:48:09 pm »
If in perticular that weapon it had to do with it being called a Flame Bute in the modern translations. I remember going back and forth with that one. It's basically (whip)Flame. Project II calls it (whip)FireBute and I think I specifically remember trying to make (whip)FlameBute fit every way I could, but that was before I added more squish tiles so I can try again. There were a few weapons that I didn't flat out state the type of weapon for space constraints, but instead called it the type that it was including the symbol to signify what it was. Things like Thunder Claw was simply named (claw)Thunder.

And please, don't think that you are being a nitpicking jerk. I'd rather suggestions from the community to help make this project better. Remember, an artist only considers his project complete when he stops working on it.

EDIT- Just looked at modern translations to double check. GBA and DS called it Fire Whip and PSP calls it Flame Whip. It's why I went with (whip)Flame.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 04:12:00 pm by Rodimus Primal »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 16, 2015, 10:37:18 pm »
I was just trying to be consistent with FFV, I think, by calling it FireBute, in my defense. :p
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #190 on: December 16, 2015, 11:04:21 pm »
I was just trying to be consistent with FFV, I think, by calling it FireBute, in my defense. :p

It's almost accurate! I'm fine with dropping the vute, though, since it's a whip-like weapon.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 19, 2015, 12:08:52 am »
This might be slightly off-topic since this post is about FFIV in general as opposed to this specific patch, but since this is the first version of FFIV that I'm playing I'll post my thoughts here anyway.

So I've been playing this for a bit on my Wii, and I have to say, coming into this from FFIII DS (since I'm on a quest to play FF1-6), this is freaking amazing. FFIII (the DS remake, at least) was a huge grind fest that had a very slow pace and the N64-like graphics that the DS could barely handle slowed down the pace even more (It took me about four months to beat it, playing on and off). Whereas in FFIV, I was amazed at how instantaneously battles started and the overall much faster pace of the battles. Even though I'm coming in from the DS version of FFIII as opposed to the NES version, the SNES version of FFIV still feels like a huge upgrade, as everything is much faster-paced, the story is much more engaging, you can have a party of five, the pseudo-turn system where characters now have to "charge up" makes battles a lot more fun and even chaotic at times, and overall it's just plain fun, while FFIII felt like a chore to play. The pseudo-16-bit (b/c the sprites only use 8 colors cause its an early SNES game) graphics don't bother me a bit, as they look quite nice on my CRT, and the overall presentation feels a lot more natural than playing ugly FFIII stretched on the N3DS XL screen.

The script reads very nicely, so I thank vivify93 for that, so that a newcomer like me can enjoy the SNES version of FFIV. I also thank Rodimus Primal for making this patch that modernizes the spell names, as the modern names are what I'm used to since the only FF games I've played through are the modern versions of FF1-3. It's nice to be able to play the original version of FFIV and still get the modern names, something I wasn't able to do with FF1-3 (as I played the GBA and DS remakes of those). Someday I hope that the original versions of FF1-6 are all playable on their original systems but with updated translations and names, which is why I'm doing my FFII project. If it wasn't for Namingway Edition (and by extension, Project II), the only way I could have played FFIV with spell names that I'm used to would have been either the GBA version (which according to Legends of Localization, has an amateur translation full of outdated jokes and memes), the PSP version (I don't have a PSP, and its script is identical to the jokey GBA translation), the DS/iOS version (which Legend of Localization says has a near-perfect translation, but I hated FFIII on DS so I probably would have hated FFIV on DS too).

One typo I noticed, during the event that takes place at Yang's home castle (I think), one of Edward's lines says, "Damycan" instead of "Damcyan" like its spelled elsewhere. I'm assuming that typo is present in Project II as well.

Playing this has also rather "inspired" me to take a different design approach to my FFII retranslation. (sorry if this is getting off-topic) I'm developing a more robust text-editing tool for it and I'm going to reformat the text so that the presentation is near-identical to Project II/Namingway Edition, in that the font will be identical, and the format style will also be identical (no space bytes after semicolons, commas, and periods), and at some point I'll make a fork of FFI Restored that will change the font to the font used in this, and I'll have the same approach to FFIII on NES (if I even decide to take on that task, as FFIII on DS left a bad taste in my mouth).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 01:27:27 am by Chaos Rush »

Kea

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 19, 2015, 12:57:51 am »
Without going into too much detail, FF3DS is a significant departure from the NES version - overall for the worse IMO, it feels much slower and grindier to me.

Saying that the GBA version of FF4 is "full of"  memes is a bit of an exaggeration. There's one line by Cid early on and then maybe two or three incidental NPCs that involve memes? Still I'm glad you've gotten to play a great game like FF4 for the first time.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 19, 2015, 01:13:46 am »
Thank you very much for all your kind words Chaos Rush. I'm glad you're enjoying the work that everyone and myself put into the game. I will have to double check that line and fix it. If there are ANY other typos that need correcting, please feel free to let me know so I can work on it.

Believe it or not, I actually made a font change for Final Fantasy Restored, called Final Fantasy Original Font.
I know you like the font used from Final Fantasy IV better, and I actually was thinking of doing that as an added bonus when I saw you using it with Final Fantasy II. So in turn you've inspired me!

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 19, 2015, 01:39:27 am »
Without going into too much detail, FF3DS is a significant departure from the NES version - overall for the worse IMO, it feels much slower and grindier to me.

Saying that the GBA version of FF4 is "full of"  memes is a bit of an exaggeration. There's one line by Cid early on and then maybe two or three incidental NPCs that involve memes? Still I'm glad you've gotten to play a great game like FF4 for the first time.
I wasn't claiming to know everything about FF4's various translations, I was just saying what Tomato pointed out on Legends of Localization. Nonetheless I've looked up plenty of info on all the different versions of FF4, and I'm also aware that FF4 on GBA has some slowdown and I'm glad I'm playing the SNES version instead.

Thank you very much for all your kind words Chaos Rush. I'm glad you're enjoying the work that everyone and myself put into the game. I will have to double check that line and fix it. If there are ANY other typos that need correcting, please feel free to let me know so I can work on it.

Believe it or not, I actually made a font change for Final Fantasy Restored, called Final Fantasy Original Font.
I know you like the font used from Final Fantasy IV better, and I actually was thinking of doing that as an added bonus when I saw you using it with Final Fantasy II. So in turn you've inspired me!
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the original FFI font, I think it's a bit too stylized for my tastes. Also one thing I noticed while tinkering with the font in my FFII project, the font that's used in Project II (and by extension, Namingway Edition) is slightly different from vanilla FFIV. Looks to me like vivify93 made some slight improvements to make everything look neater.

One suggestion I have though is move the semicolon tile a few pixels left in order to create the illusion of a 'space', like the period and comma tiles already do. That way things will look like, "Cecil: Sup dudes" instead of "Cecil:Sup dudes"

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #195 on: December 19, 2015, 08:08:36 am »

I think FF3 is just plain a bad game; the DS port made a lot of changes, some good and some bad, but none of them made it less tedious.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 19, 2015, 03:43:39 pm »
[Snipped rant about FFIII]
It's even worse on the PSP version. That game is not worth any loading times. I was gonna get the PSP version, but holy balls. The loading. I thought it was because I was using a CSO, so I decompressed it, and nope. Still awful. For physical and/or console editions, the DS version is probably the superior of the two, even with all the now-inaccessible content that's locked behind WiFi communications, just because it has very low loading times. I suspect the PC version is probably the best, though.

The script reads very nicely, so I thank vivify93 for that, so that a newcomer like me can enjoy the SNES version of FFIV.
You're welcome! :)

One typo I noticed, during the event that takes place at Yang's home castle (I think), one of Edward's lines says, "Damycan" instead of "Damcyan" like its spelled elsewhere. I'm assuming that typo is present in Project II as well.
That was from Project II. Fixed it; thanks.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 19, 2015, 11:09:48 pm »
I've fixed it on my end too. It's been submitted for approval.

As for FFIII, I've played the NES version up to a point but I only beat the DS version when it first came out.

Also, I looked into your colon idea, Chaos Rush. It won't work because the game also uses the colon for the time. So instead "1 : 30" it becomes "1:  30" which looks terrible.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 01:53:59 am by Rodimus Primal »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 20, 2015, 03:14:51 am »
What about using one of the dummied tiles for a new colon?
... Not that I would envy you for the time it would take to replace every colon in the game's dialogue with the new character
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 21, 2015, 11:37:31 am »
I don't know if this is known but playing your hack in SNES9X, when loading the game via File > Load Game... everything looks fine. http://i.imgur.com/jo7OUwp.png

But if you reset the game via File > Reset Game the title screen ends up looking like this, not a big deal but figured maybe you would like to know about this bug. http://i.imgur.com/uZtH5lD.png