News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.98b)  (Read 231838 times)

Digitsie

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.4)
« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2015, 09:05:49 pm »
Go for it! Though I am now amused because all I can think of is that it might well have been easier to just put the script into FFIVJ. :)

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 23, 2015, 11:00:30 pm »
Long time no see Digitsie.

Thinking back it might have been easier one way, but at this point it also means many of us have learned quite a bit about Final Fantasy IV.

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2015, 11:52:33 pm »
Since you're apparently doing another update, maybe I should mention that in the Scarmiglione fight, one of his lines has his name spelled out in full size letters while the rest use the space saving smushy letters.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 24, 2015, 12:09:47 am »
I used the squish tiles for his name during his first form to save on space for what he says. His second form I spelled it out completely. For consistency, I'll change it to squish tiles for both.

ZAPPSOFT

« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2015, 12:27:04 am »
Hey,

I haven't had a chance to play through this yet,
But I have a question, Did you guys change the end credits "Final Fantasy II Staff" to "Final Fantasy IV Staff".

Just curious.

I'll be playing through this soon.

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 25, 2015, 12:38:23 am »
I have never been blessed with Pink Tail-age, all my life.

I've only ever completed Rydia's summon list once, and I don't recall whether I was cheating or not.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 25, 2015, 01:09:49 am »
I don't recall getting Mage more than once ever, either. Once you have it, you realize how much of a waste the pursuit was. In FFIIUS, the only worthwhile monster-drop summon is bomb (but it is very worthwhile). My impression is that, given the frequency of the baddies that drop it, the time at which they begin appearing, and the effect of the spell, the cockatrice summon might be worth it, too. But then again, unless you're hella lucky, you're probably leveling shadow party Rydia out of the need for it. Those spells (except perhaps Bomb) should probably have been set to a higher frequency.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 25, 2015, 08:23:14 am »
So here's a progress report to the next version as it stands:

-Thanks again to Bahamut Zero, the maps have been restored back to their Final Fantasy IV counterparts. This includes the places they dump you off at. All towns and dungeons have been looked over.
-Treasure chests and Save Points are back to their original Final Fantasy IV graphics.
-The Developer's Office has been restored with all three rooms.
-The original smaller Final Fantasy IV Training Room is back, instead of the two floor one used in FFIIUS.

Things still left to do:

-Restore the NPCs to their proper locations. I also have to add some of the scripts for them too.
-Restore the NPCS in the Developer's Office.
-Go over the items in all areas to ensure they are in their proper places.

I'm not sure if vivify93 changed the End Credits back to Final Fantasy IV instead of Final Fantasy II, but I will double check it over tonight and fix it if he didn't. Also I think I will go over the item drops for the Summon spells and increase them slightly so that more folks get the actual items. I'm thinking about adding access to the Training Room from Kaipo in the same way it was in FFIIUS since it gives access to Namingway early for Rydia and Tellah. Like before, the locations for Namingway will be restored as well.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 25, 2015, 11:15:29 am »
I'm not sure if vivify93 changed the End Credits back to Final Fantasy IV instead of Final Fantasy II, but I will double check it over tonight and fix it if he didn't.
I did, it was an easy fix. :P
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2015, 12:04:11 am »
I did, it was an easy fix. :P
That's cool. One less thing on my list.  :thumbsup:

Currently I'm trying to learn the aspects of FF4kster's NPC editor to add the proper NPCs. What I'm worried about is it messing with other NPCs in game. Hopefully it all goes smooth so I'll have to test it out once they're all added.

Edit- From testing it would seem that this is not the case, as I can add NPCs as needed.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 12:15:52 am by Rodimus Primal »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 30, 2015, 01:20:37 am »
The biggest thing you need to be careful of when adding NPCs is the fact that they most likely come from somewhere else. If you add some random "Baron Soldier" to some other town, then change his dialogue behaviors, you're changing the dialogue behavior of that soldier when he's in Baron, too. Speed, palette, direction facing, xy position, tangibility are all safe, as they can be different depending on the map. Sprite, speech and default visibility are all connected directly to the NPC. There are only 510 NPCs in FFIV (255 in the Overworld and 255 shared by the Underworld and the Moon) there might be two or three from each set that are completely unused (and I think FF4kster's default cfg file indicates which).
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 30, 2015, 08:09:37 am »
I suspected correct then. Thanks!

Just now I need to figure out what NPCs are free to use on the Overworld side without messing with another NPC someplace else.

Update - So there's a strange glitch with the NPCs with the WIP version of FF4kster that is hosted on timecave.net. So I have to go back to the one hosted here on RHDN. Because of this, some of the map changes I worked on, and the ones Bahamut Zero worked on, had to be redone. Fortunately I have a backup copy.

So here's what's changed so far:

-The treasure chests and save points are like the original FFIV.
-The dungeon maps (Tower of Bab-il, Giant of Bab-il, Tower of Zot, etc) have been reverted back to their strange hallways and doorways.
-The doorway leading to the Developer's Office is there, but currently doesn't lead anywhere.
-Baron, Mysidia, and Troia are restored with their original maps.
-All Namingways in those towns are back where they were originally in FFIV.

Things still left to do:
-Build the Developer's Office
-Place the proper NPCs in the Developer's Office and the smaller Training Room.
-Write the proper scripts for those characters.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 01:12:45 am by Rodimus Primal »

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 16, 2015, 11:15:12 am »
Progress is still being made for the next update and its looking good so far. I have the Developer's Office and original Training Rooms in place. I decided to keep the door to the Training Room in Kaipo, even though its too the smaller one since it gives access to a Namingway and its still early in the game. I still have work to do with the NPCs, naming the "monsters" in the Developer's Office, ensuring the messages are in their proper places, etc.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 16, 2015, 11:42:16 pm »
The Namingway in Kaipo is supposed to be in the armor shop, actually.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 17, 2015, 12:01:22 am »
You know I always forgot about that one. If that's the case I'll just add him to the Armor Shop and erase the door and the trigger that leads to it.

July 18, 2015, 03:37:51 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
So Kaipo is now restored and the Namingway is back in the Armor Shop.

To show you here, I've completely restored the original Training Room:

Also, the Developer's Office and Composer's Room are completed and restored. I have the the Break Room as well, but I've hit a little snag restoring the last two NPCs. I need one for the sleeping bubble above the NPC on the left, and I need one for the Magazine in the bookshelf.

Also I need to finish renaming the encounters in the Developer's Office. What goes with that is speech for all 6 of them.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 03:37:54 pm by Rodimus Primal »

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 26, 2015, 01:03:43 am »
Version 1.5 has been submitted for approval, and Bahamut Zero added to the credits. I'm really excited about this release as a LOT of hard work was put in to make it all come together. The original Training Room as been restored, as well as the Developer's Office. There are a couple of script revisions to better match the changes. Also restored are the original save point tiles and treasure chests. All town maps are restored making only ONE training room. Therefore, all original locations for Namingways are restored. The Towers of Zot and Bab-il, and the Giant of Bab-il all have their maps again with overhead hanging hallways.

I will update once its approved.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 26, 2015, 01:44:44 am »
Congrats! This basically makes it like the original now, doesn't it?

(See how good of an idea it was to separate the projects? I never would've let you do this if it was still a part of Project II. :p Even though I'm the one, paradoxically, who said we should combine them in the first place... I'm an asshole, y'all.)

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2015, 08:11:52 am »
Congrats! This basically makes it like the original now, doesn't it?

(See how good of an idea it was to separate the projects? I never would've let you do this if it was still a part of Project II. :p Even though I'm the one, paradoxically, who said we should combine them in the first place... I'm an asshole, y'all.)

Thanks. I don't think of you that way. We worked together to make two outstanding projects.

I'm still waiting on approval for the newest update. I'm eager for folks to try it out.

KillerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 29, 2015, 09:55:13 am »
Nice work. If the goal is to restore all maps to their original FFIV state, don't forget the darker palette in the Magnetic Cavern. Are the graphics for all the secret passages dealt with as well?

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 29, 2015, 10:10:29 am »
That was something I thought about, and I decided against it. While it does make finding passages easier, its probably the only thing I don't mind staying from the US version.

July 29, 2015, 10:44:21 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Version 1.5 is up!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:44:21 am by Rodimus Primal »